Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Confirmed] SYD going UA 3 Cabin 777 in 2014 [and other 747 route changes]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2013, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bitterroot
Updates to Wiki as of 20 January 2014

Planned changes in aircraft by date and route:

SFO -- SYD: first 772 departs SFO 27 March; turns to 840 at SYD on 29 March

LAX -- SYD: first 772 departs LAX 29 March; turn off 840-29th.

NRT -- ORD: First 744 departs NRT 27 March (aircraft turn at ORD to PVG and FRA in succession the day following arrival from NRT)
ORD -- NRT: First 744 departs ORD 31 March

ORD -- PVG: First 744 departs ORD 28 March
PVG -- ORD: First 744 departs PVG 29 March

ORD -- FRA: First 744 departs ORD 29 March
FRA -- ORD: First 744 departs FRA 30 March

NRT -- SFO: 852 to operate with 772 27 March through 31 March inclusive (772 coming out of rotation)

Or, you can just go look at the good work here (note that info posted above differs from AIRLINEROUTE info dated 4 January 2014 and before):

http://airlineroute.net/2013/08/17/ua-s14update1/

Or, straight to the source if you want to do your own research:

http://www.oag.com/Global
Print Wikipost

[Confirmed] SYD going UA 3 Cabin 777 in 2014 [and other 747 route changes]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by stevenshev
That's it right there. The simple reason I make GS each year is multiple JFK-SYD in D/C fares ranging from $10-$15k a pop, so that I can upgrade to F. If UA does not have an F product to offer, there is not a snowball's chance in hell I pay a cent more than a Z fare ($6,000), and, if I can't upgrade, why would I take UA's Z fare over QF's I fare and have a better inflight experience on a single plane all the way from New York?

This is ludicrous. UA tried to move SYD to 777s once already, and was forced to back down by passenger outrage. Believe me, I am far from a vocal pax, but if they try this on the SYD routes, I will be clearly expressing myself...first with words, then with dollars.

This.
Please do be vocal, and don't wait until its too late.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:47 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
If we FAs are still a separate operation by the time this happens (which I'm sure we will still be), more then likely this will be an HTA based trip and deadhead pairing (deadhead IAH - LAX - IAH, work LAX - SYD - LAX). But we shall see.
Is LAX-based CO crew still domestic only?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:51 am

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
That's it right there. The simple reason I make GS each year is multiple JFK-SYD in D/C fares ranging from $10-$15k a pop, so that I can upgrade to F. If UA does not have an F product to offer, there is not a snowball's chance in hell I pay a cent more than a Z fare ($6,000), and, if I can't upgrade, why would I take UA's Z fare over QF's I fare and have a better inflight experience on a single plane all the way from New York?

This is ludicrous. UA tried to move SYD to 777s once already, and was forced to back down by passenger outrage. Believe me, I am far from a vocal pax, but if they try this on the SYD routes, I will be clearly expressing myself...first with words, then with dollars.

This.
While I can relate to the sentiment, if this post-merger United is really going to become a two-class airline, then at some point First is going to go away.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by PTahCha
Is LAX-based CO crew still domestic only?
Yes.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:03 am

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"

This! Please do talk to your GS reps! Start now don't wait till they pull the trigger which 9 times out of 10 is permanent.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by bmr12
While I can relate to the sentiment, if this post-merger United is really going to become a two-class airline, then at some point First is going to go away.
But you can't expect that J revenue will remain the same without F to upgrade to. If you are a two class airline with a crappy J product, people won't pay for it. Especially those that have consistently paid full fare for it over the years.

Originally Posted by UAL4life
This! Please do talk to your GS reps! Start now don't wait till they pull the trigger which 9 times out of 10 is permanent.
Not sure the GS reps are the best people to talk to. Would Martin Hand be the right exec to reach out to?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 14, 2013 at 3:48 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:08 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Can someone remind me how SIN-HKG on a 737 played out?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
Quote:

Originally Posted by bmr12

But you can't expect that J revenue will remain the same with out F to upgrade to. If you are a two class airline with a crappy J product, people won't pay for it. Especially those that have consistently paid full fare for it over the years.
Precisely. PMUA got this. The new UA needs more teachable moments. They aren't limited to being safely ensconced in a fortress hub any more.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:16 am

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
Thank god. I was worried that this route would go 737NG, based on this recent thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...p-sfo-syd.html

#noplanetoosmall

Originally Posted by warreng24
So if SYD goes to sCO, where does the sUA flights/planes go?

This is the incredible shrinking sUA!
They'll be piloted by Captain Wii Too Small & flying tons of SFO/LAX- VCV, in preparation to become that soda can you'll be drinking from on DL in 2014.

(Circla 2005 FT troll) BTW, why doesn't UA fly LAX - HKG with one of these spare 744s? (/ Circa 2005 FT troll)

Originally Posted by nova08
Isn't LAX-SYD very tough for Mileage/GPU upgrades with high W fares, even with all of the competition? This would imply UA does pretty well in First & Business. Does it make sense for UA to switch to a Business only PMCO 772.
C capacity of a sUA 744 is 52
F capacity of a sUA 744 is 12, with 10 usually occupied by NRSAs, and 2 occupied by folks who think they wandered into a crew lounge.

C capacity of a sCO 777 is 50

So yes, that's a net loss of 2 C seats + 12 F seats. How that yields out to realized revenue from UA's perspective is only known to those with the actual numbers.

For upgrades to C, it creates more contention, and the O changes that occurred earlier this year made award redemption into F hard to come by. And yes, it does take away the F option for those who are cash booking or upgrading from C.

This said, NRSAs are probably pissed big time about this change given how few rev / award pax (apparently) were making use of the cabin.

Originally Posted by Sulley
I'm going to start posting random rumors to see if I can generate pages of discussion.
Best way to achieve FT Evangelist status. Think of it as MR'ing for FT Status. Sadly, Internet Brands will include a revenue component for 2014, requiring you pay a membership ala Airliners.net if you want to keep it.

Originally Posted by halls120
No one has asked the obvious question - is Tom Stuker going to be satisfied with BF on his many trips to SYD?
The 777 has less space for "all that cargo in the belly" [sic], so there may be fewer pillows and milk for him and others.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Just a bit off on pricing...M fare going for $3,200 now r/t
Sorry, typo, you can upgrade W with GPU. W fare r/t JFK-SYD is showing up as $1985.40.

Yes, if I wanted to or needed to play that game. Luckily, most of the time, I don't (and suspect that holds true for other GS on the route). And thus why I can talk with dollars rather than being captive to UA.

And, as pointed out below, it's nowhere near $1,000 for an upgradeable coach fare.
It is less than $1000. And even if you don't "need" to play that game, why wouldn't you want to save $5000?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 14, 2013 at 3:49 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
Quote:

Originally Posted by UA-NYC

Just a bit off on pricing...M fare going for $3,200 now r/t

Sorry, typo, you can upgrade W with GPU. W fare r/t JFK-SYD is showing up as $1985.40.
Off season right?

I mean, I once flew PDX-SIN $510 RT. soon after 9/11.

One anecdote does not an argument make.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
One anecdote does not an argument make.
You only have to save $5000 once in order to have $5000 more in your bank account.

$10,000 if you fly round trip.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:32 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by cmdinnyc
Flying the 744 or 777 in Y isn't going to do much to improve my sleep.

I have to one again post this photo how to sleep on 747.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
You only have to save $5000 once in order to have $5000 more in your bank account.

$10,000 if you fly round trip.
You're missing the point - it's $6K, not $10K - he only pays $10K if he can get into GF. So it's $2K for a chance to be in C, vs. $6K to be guaranteed in it.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:34 am

United does not have J class for people to pay $2k and upgrade to it. They have it (in theory) for people that are actually willing to pay for it. The problem is that the current J product isn't a premium product and thus isn't worth paying for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.