Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Confirmed] SYD going UA 3 Cabin 777 in 2014 [and other 747 route changes]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2013, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bitterroot
Updates to Wiki as of 20 January 2014

Planned changes in aircraft by date and route:

SFO -- SYD: first 772 departs SFO 27 March; turns to 840 at SYD on 29 March

LAX -- SYD: first 772 departs LAX 29 March; turn off 840-29th.

NRT -- ORD: First 744 departs NRT 27 March (aircraft turn at ORD to PVG and FRA in succession the day following arrival from NRT)
ORD -- NRT: First 744 departs ORD 31 March

ORD -- PVG: First 744 departs ORD 28 March
PVG -- ORD: First 744 departs PVG 29 March

ORD -- FRA: First 744 departs ORD 29 March
FRA -- ORD: First 744 departs FRA 30 March

NRT -- SFO: 852 to operate with 772 27 March through 31 March inclusive (772 coming out of rotation)

Or, you can just go look at the good work here (note that info posted above differs from AIRLINEROUTE info dated 4 January 2014 and before):

http://airlineroute.net/2013/08/17/ua-s14update1/

Or, straight to the source if you want to do your own research:

http://www.oag.com/Global
Print Wikipost

[Confirmed] SYD going UA 3 Cabin 777 in 2014 [and other 747 route changes]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2013, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by unavaca
Yes, let's ignore the fact that this is a huge upgrade for Y travelers. You know, the vast majority of the passengers on the plane.
Maybe the 787 can make it, even less capacity and even better for pax!
Old Aug 13, 2013, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Jorgen
Because the plane breaks down twice a week and they have to rebook everyone on Qantas? That's gotta cut into the ol' profit margins.
Yeah I feel like this must play some role since I believe everywhere else they fly a 744 they have at least one other *A carrier that has a direct flight covering the same route in the event of mechanical issues.

Likewise they remain the only *A carrier offering direct service US - Australia so this also allows them to reduce capacity (267 seats on pmCO 772 vs. 374 on the 744 I believe)
Old Aug 13, 2013, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
What is "better for pax"? An improved product that is provides better value or more capacity than needed so the pax can pay less and then easily upgrade?
Old Aug 13, 2013, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I'd rank the PMCO 777 above the 787, mainly because of the wider Y seats. Regardless, the PMCO 777 is a huge upgrade for the vast majority of the pax who would otherwise be on the 747.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 6:16 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

I'd rank the PMCO 777 above the 787, mainly because of the wider Y seats. Regardless, the PMCO 777 is a huge upgrade for the vast majority of the pax who would otherwise be on the 747.
I agree the flying experience will be better, but they will be paying more for the better experience. It makes me think would the vast majority of the passengers prefer to save a couple hundred and fly on a old ratty 744 with no IFE or pay more to fly on a 777?
Old Aug 13, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fly18725
What is "better for pax"? An improved product that is provides better value or more capacity than needed so the pax can pay less and then easily upgrade?
Tongue in cheek - airplane itself is of course better, but the UA configuration is definitely worse
Old Aug 13, 2013, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fly18725
Obviously the vast majority of passengers can't "easily upgrade". You can see that just by counting the seats in each class.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by golfingboy
I agree the flying experience will be better, but they will be paying more for the better experience. It makes me think would the vast majority of the passengers prefer to save a couple hundred and fly on a old ratty 744 with no IFE or pay more to fly on a 777?
+1.

If IFE was that darn important to them, they would already be flying QF, DL or Virgin.

Assuming this rumor does come to pass, would there any chance UA would re-configure the 777 with 10 across in Y in order to bump up the capacity? Others are have done or are doing this, including AA, AF, AC and EK.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
wow, huge equipment upgrade on this route, I might now even consider flying UA
Old Aug 13, 2013, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Yes, let's ignore the fact that this is a huge upgrade for Y travelers. You know, the vast majority of the passengers on the plane.
But not the vast majority of revenue.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
No, doesn't look that way to me.
Have you flown LAX/SFO-SYD and tried upgrading? Those two routes are some of the toughest in the system to upgrade on. Even with a V, H, etc fare, I've seen multiple 1Ks (and that's not to mention 1P/2P) denied an upgrade..
Old Aug 13, 2013, 6:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Considering there is an entire thread (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...2013-a-20.html) on cancellations on this route - most of them equipment related - this would seem to be a reasonable move. Has anyone independently confirmed this is actually happening?
Old Aug 13, 2013, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by GlobalSTL
I now hear it from multiple sources that CO will take over Australia flying from 2Q 2014.
I realize your title says 777 for SYD, but I wonder if this could mean the 787 for MEL at the same time?
Old Aug 13, 2013, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Originally Posted by 1kBill
+1.
If IFE was that darn important to them, they would already be flying QF, DL or Virgin.
This +1
Also if we cared about quality of service much the same

I give UA $20k per year flying out of sydney because they are the only airline that can get me easily to IAD & RIC & RDM & RSW
Screw with my comfort and I will give up my status and just fly cheapest carrier from now on... which would probobly end up being AirNZ where you still get real booze in Y for free....

Originally Posted by cfischer
wow, huge equipment upgrade on this route, I might now even consider flying UA
Downgrade for me
the BF seats are IMHO far WORSE on the CO777 compared to the upper deck on the 747 (I've flown both many times)
The lack of F is also anoying as whenever work books me into
The Y seats on the 747 are also IMHO better for my body shape/size (23k is always a win)

RE IFE....
If you dont already own an IPAD go buy a refurb 2nd gen 64gb and forget about ever thinking about IFE again (unless on direct tv equiped plane)

Also.... AFAIK none of the CO777's have wifi?
most of the 747's running the SYD route have had wifi for ages now and its worth $$$ to me to not be 1000emails behind when I get off the plane

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Have you flown LAX/SFO-SYD and tried upgrading? Those two routes are some of the toughest in the system to upgrade on. Even with a V, H, etc fare, I've seen multiple 1Ks (and that's not to mention 1P/2P) denied an upgrade..
Personally I'm at 11/12 for syd->lax/sfo on GPU's and 10/10 on Miles for the last 3 years

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 13, 2013 at 8:08 pm Reason: multi-quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
Yeah I feel like this must play some role since I believe everywhere else they fly a 744 they have at least one other *A carrier that has a direct flight covering the same route in the event of mechanical issues.
They fly 2x747 SFO-LHR and there's no other *A airline on the route - competing though with BA and Virgin who both fly ancient 747s, but with modern interiors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.