Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] - Duplicated / double / impossible reservations -- What will UA do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 25, 2022, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Rule 5 Cancellation of Reservations
  • In addition to exercising any of its remedies in Rule 6 K) below, UA reserves the right to cancel bookings and/or reservations which it deems fraudulent, abusive, illogical, fictitious, which are booked and/or reserved with no intention of flying, or for which the passenger makes a misrepresentation without notice to the passenger or the individual making the booking. The types of improper reservations that UA will cancel without notice include, but are not limited to: reservations made without having been requested by or on behalf of the named passenger; reservations made to hold or block seats for the purpose of obtaining lower fares, MP award inventory, travel certificates, or upgrades that may not otherwise be available; reservations made to manipulate, abuse, or circumvent any of UA’s fare rules, policies or provisions; reservations made for the same passenger on flights traveling on or about the same date between one or more of the same or nearby origin or destination cities; and reservations with connections that depart before the arrival on the inbound flight.
Archive thread: Duplicated / double / impossible reservations -- What will UA do? {Archive}

Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] - Duplicated / double / impossible reservations -- What will UA do?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2023, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Worst case scenario, do this often, and have your account shut down.
With this particular ploy, once might be enough. Booking a refundable ticket to hold J space to help your upgrade clear is close to the top of the verboten list.
Xyzzy and vicontt like this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 7:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jsloan
With this particular ploy, once might be enough. Booking a refundable ticket to hold J space to help your upgrade clear is close to the top of the verboten list.
This may be apocryphal, but years ago, I recall hearing of someone booking all of First Class on a flight with refundable tickets and then canceling the day before so their upgrade would go through.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
This may be apocryphal, but years ago, I recall hearing of someone booking all of First Class on a flight with refundable tickets and then canceling the day before so their upgrade would go through.
That's just evil and will likely get caught. On the other hand, booking just 2 or 3 will probably fly under radar.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 4:13 am

Planning next fall vacation… ideally would like to go to Egypt but, due to the events in the region, want to have a backup plan. So the idea is to book flights to Egypt on Egyptair/UA through United on points and flights to Mexico through Southwest with cash for the exact same dates. Would either airline see the other reservation and cancel my tickets?
Old Dec 19, 2023, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by dannysporea
Planning next fall vacation… ideally would like to go to Egypt but, due to the events in the region, want to have a backup plan. So the idea is to book flights to Egypt on Egyptair/UA through United on points and flights to Mexico through Southwest with cash for the exact same dates. Would either airline see the other reservation and cancel my tickets?
No.
-RM
Old Dec 23, 2023, 9:02 am
RNE

Originally Posted by dannysporea
Egypt is enchanting. Enjoy your time in that timeless land.
We went in "good times" (October, 2019) on UA and MS (using points). But we still booked alternate travel on AA (using points) just in case something happened. Turned out nothing did, but had the pandemic occurred a few months earlier...

Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 7:25 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Overlapping itinerary email

I have two refundable tickets booked- one day apart on the same route. There is no overlap, but I just got an email saying there were overlapping or duplicate flight segments and I should cancel one immediately. Is this right?
Old Jan 8, 2024, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA1K
What’s the route? Is it physically possible for you to get back to the origin the next day to take that flight?
Old Jan 8, 2024, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
United has an overly sensitive detection system. Once it has flagged, even agents may not be able to do much. They can restore them manually, but the computer will just flag again.

Above applies to overlap and (United deemed) "impossible" flights - such as open jaw flights.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 7:39 pm

Programs: DL, UA
it is ORD to LIR so definitely not physically impossible..
Old Jan 8, 2024, 9:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nw6338
I should cancel one immediately. Is this right?
Yep and if you don't UA will

Originally Posted by nw6338
it is ORD to LIR so definitely not physically impossible..
Not really possible, Hence the violation of your bookings T&Cs -- impossible booking
United747 and ExplorerWannabe like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 8, 2024 at 10:00 pm
Old Jan 9, 2024, 7:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
It's in fact physically possible to fly ORD-LIR on UA on the morning of day 1, return to ORD on UA or some other airline the same afternoon/evening, and fly ORD-LIR again on UA on the morning of day 2. Whether a traveler actually intends to do so is another question, but I don't particularly like the idea of UA's computer attempting to decipher a traveler's intent when determining which bookings/routings are duplicate and thus strictly impossible.
chavala likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dkc192
I don't particularly like the idea of UA's computer attempting to decipher a traveler's intent when determining which bookings/routings are duplicate and thus strictly impossible.
Impossible isn't UA's standard, though. That's FT's interpretation, and I think it's dated. Here's the actual text from the Contract of Carriage:

Rule 5(H) : (emphasis added)
In addition to exercising any of its remedies in Rule 6 K) below, UA reserves the right to cancel bookings and/or reservations which it deems fraudulent, abusive, illogical, fictitious, which are booked and/or reserved with no intention of flying, or for which the passenger makes a misrepresentation without notice to the passenger or the individual making the booking. The types of improper reservations that UA will cancel without notice include, but are not limited to: reservations made without having been requested by or on behalf of the named passenger; reservations made to hold or block seats for the purpose of obtaining lower fares, MP award inventory, travel certificates, or upgrades that may not otherwise be available; reservations made to manipulate, abuse, or circumvent any of UA’s fare rules, policies or provisions; reservations made for the same passenger on flights traveling on or about the same date between one or more of the same or nearby origin or destination cities; reservations made for flights that are or likely will be delayed with the intention of making a claim against or receiving a benefit from United concerning the flight delay; reservations where UA suspects credit card fraud or other fraud related to payment; and reservations with connections that depart before the arrival on the inbound flight.
There is no doubt that OP is in violation of this rule, and that UA has the right under their contract of carriage to cancel one or both reservations, even if OP really does intend to fly to Costa Rica on back-to-back days.
SPN Lifer and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dkc192
...but I don't particularly like the idea of UA's computer attempting to decipher a traveler's intent when determining which bookings/routings are duplicate and thus strictly impossible.
I think they UA is tagging reservations that are more likely to be duplicate than impossible and they lay out their right to do so in the CoC.

Probably 90% of domestic or short-haul int'l routes could be physically repeated the next day. Allowing "possible" consecutive day segments would allow one to book IAH to DEN one-ways 10 days in a row. Can a flyer do it? Sure. Is it likely? No.

People booking more segments more than they intend to take reduce inventory and may actually boost prices for the next buyer into another (more expensive) fare class.

I've was inconvenienced once by UA's duplicate detection system (albeit reason was another pax w/ same name/same segment). PITA, but worth it in long run IMHO.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 9, 2024 at 4:12 pm Reason: added punk-tuation.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I find it somewhat amusing that travelers will 1) book duplicative or backup flights for the same travel, 2) complain about airlines overbooking some flights, and 3) complain that the airlines use algorithms to detect and prevent duplicative or impossible bookings. Usually it's different people complaining but I'm sure we could find examples of the very same person doing 2 or even all 3 actions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.