Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] - Duplicated / double / impossible reservations -- What will UA do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 25, 2022, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Rule 5 Cancellation of Reservations
  • In addition to exercising any of its remedies in Rule 6 K) below, UA reserves the right to cancel bookings and/or reservations which it deems fraudulent, abusive, illogical, fictitious, which are booked and/or reserved with no intention of flying, or for which the passenger makes a misrepresentation without notice to the passenger or the individual making the booking. The types of improper reservations that UA will cancel without notice include, but are not limited to: reservations made without having been requested by or on behalf of the named passenger; reservations made to hold or block seats for the purpose of obtaining lower fares, MP award inventory, travel certificates, or upgrades that may not otherwise be available; reservations made to manipulate, abuse, or circumvent any of UA’s fare rules, policies or provisions; reservations made for the same passenger on flights traveling on or about the same date between one or more of the same or nearby origin or destination cities; and reservations with connections that depart before the arrival on the inbound flight.
Archive thread: Duplicated / double / impossible reservations -- What will UA do? {Archive}

Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] - Duplicated / double / impossible reservations -- What will UA do?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2023, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I don't think anyone here can tell you the answer to your question. We don't know hw the UA duplicate detection algorithm is configured. I'd say that if you do book what you propose and it does trigger the notification you'll get notification from UA within an hour. At that point you may wish to call in, though I dn't know what a UA agent would be able to do about the issue.
Thanks. Appreciate the response.

Previously, I had EWR-LHR (cash) and then DUB-EWR (award) 30 hours and got zapped multiple times.After first few zaps I called UA and successfully restored both reservations, but I finally gave up, and, no matter what the agents did, the same happened.

I guess the workable solution is to fly on another airline, which is actually better for the flying experience
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 9:14 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Have a return flight LHR to US coming up, already flown outbound (US to LHR)

If I book US to LHR for same day arrival as the return flight, and then pick up the departure from LHR, what are the chances UA does not zap both reservations? 0%?
If you are in the UK why would you want to by a US-LHR flight that might put your return in jeopardy? What do you want to achieve?
Old Aug 2, 2023, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by blitzen
If you are in the UK why would you want to by a US-LHR flight that might put your return in jeopardy? What do you want to achieve?
I am in the US currently, and have an un-flown LHR to US segment left on the active ticket. The back story is a bit complicated, but it would be easier to fly the remaining itinerary than to take FFC, due to specific fare rules.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 3:53 pm

Duplicate bookings that aren't

Got an email on 2 PNRs. Have travel booked on two consecutive days and haven't decided which one to fly yet. Definitely not overlapping, 2 different destinations. Is the UA computer that picky and will they auto cancel both?

We noticed you may have more than one reservation that contains duplicate or overlapping flight segments, which could affect your ability to complete your travel. Please cancel any reservations that you do not intend to fly or this booking may be subject to auto cancellation without further notice.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 4:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by saaveraward
Got an email on 2 PNRs. Have travel booked on two consecutive days and haven't decided which one to fly yet. Definitely not overlapping, 2 different destinations. Is the UA computer that picky and will they auto cancel both?
Yes UA is that picky and appears to be correct in this case. Generally just one gets cancel, believe it is the first booking. Does not have to be overlapping, UA does not like folks making multiple bookings but only intending to fly one.

With no cancellation fees, suppose this has increase folks making multiple booking for the same trip. This plays havoc with capacity planning.
jsloan likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 6, 2023 at 4:09 pm Reason: no not not
Old Aug 6, 2023, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Yes. And UA can cancel one or both but usually one. And it could be random which one they decide to cancel.

The only way to hold this is if you have the theoretical capability of getting back to your starting point after the first itinerary ends and before the second can begin. In other words if you booked NY->Tokyo for back-to-back days you have no chance of getting back from Tokyo->NY in time for the second reservation. On the other hand, if you booked NY->FLL two days in a row then UA is not going to cancel one of these as you theoretically can get back to NY (on any airline, or any transportation method) to make the next booking.

-RM
Old Aug 6, 2023, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
If the UA computer determines your trips booked on consecutive days to different cities can't possibly be flown - it'll be flagged. They could word it better but impossible bookings get flagged.

An example - you can't book a ORD-EWR round trip flight for tomorrow and a ORD-IAD roundtrip flight the next day if the computer doesn't think you'll get back from EWR for the IAD trip.

Maybe one-ways would work
zombietooth likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 4:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Yes. And UA can cancel one or both but usually one. And it could be random which one they decide to cancel.

The only way to hold this is if you have the theoretical capability of getting back to your starting point after the first itinerary ends and before the second can begin. In other words if you booked NY->Tokyo for back-to-back days you have no chance of getting back from Tokyo->NY in time for the second reservation. On the other hand, if you booked NY->FLL two days in a row then UA is not going to cancel one of these as you theoretically can get back to NY (on any airline, or any transportation method) to make the next booking.

-RM
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
If the UA computer determines your trips booked on consecutive days to different cities can't possibly be flown - it'll be flagged. They could word it better but impossible bookings get flagged....
It may be stricter than the above, a few reports of what UA apparently felt were unrealistic but possible have been report
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobOnLI

-RM
I got EWR - LHR (cash), and DUB-EWR (award) one day+ later after arrival into LHR, no go.

Leaving from EWR twice in one day on separate domestic itineraries. Not one peep from UA.

All over the place.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Repooc17
I got EWR - LHR (cash), and DUB-EWR (award) one day+ later after arrival into LHR, no go.

Leaving from EWR twice in one day on separate domestic itineraries. Not one peep from UA.

All over the place.
That's UA automated love for you: Especially inconsistent.

David
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 5:54 pm

Got the point and canceled one PNR, even though it was possible to fly both.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 1:56 am

AUTOCANCELLATIONS from United

I'm having a problem with United's autocancellations. I have two mile reward bookings. I want to keep both for at least a few more days. I need a few days to finalize my trip plans. What I realized is if you have two reservations too close to each other. You now get a lovely e-mail from United:
An important message regarding reservation _____
We noticed you may have more than one reservation that contains duplicate or overlapping flight segments, which could affect your ability to complete your travel. Please cancel any reservations that you do not intend to fly or this booking may be subject to auto cancellation without further notice. If you have already resolved the booking conflict, no further action is necessary.
----

Maybe this is common knowledge but I don't remember this happening in the past before when I also had made multiple mile reward bookings for the same dates. Is this a new thing? It's very annoying that it autocancels. I can understand if you had more than two reservations or if you were hanging on to them for weeks or if you had a past history of abuse. But this is an extremely annoying problem when I badly need just 2 or 3 days more to hang on to both reservations until I can finalize my trip plans!

Is there any workaround or known trick to prevent it from autocancelling both of the reservations when this happens? I already reached out to United's text customer support.. no help there. Hoping there's some trick or workaround to this issue, besides obviously cancelling one of the reservations. My goal is to hang on to both reservations for another two or three days. Any ideas?

UPDATE:
OMG I thought it was only me having this issue. This only started happening to me on flights with similar dates this year. I don't remember this ever happening in the past even when dates were the same or very similar. It's so frustrating because I have two flights that I need to keep booked for a few days while I iron out and finalize my travel plans. My trip isn't for another 3 weeks. I wish United would just let us keep both. Looks like both reservations might get canceled and then I'll need to pay the within 3 weeks surcharge to rebook.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 9, 2023 at 12:43 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts / update by same member
Old Aug 9, 2023, 3:32 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by FlyingSloth
AUTOCANCELLATIONS from United

I'm having a problem with United's autocancellations. I have two mile reward bookings. I want to keep both for at least a few more days. I need a few days to finalize my trip plans. What I realized is if you have two reservations too close to each other. You now get a lovely e-mail from United:
An important message regarding reservation _____
We noticed you may have more than one reservation that contains duplicate or overlapping flight segments, which could affect your ability to complete your travel. Please cancel any reservations that you do not intend to fly or this booking may be subject to auto cancellation without further notice. If you have already resolved the booking conflict, no further action is necessary.
----

Maybe this is common knowledge but I don't remember this happening in the past before when I also had made multiple mile reward bookings for the same dates. Is this a new thing? It's very annoying that it autocancels. I can understand if you had more than two reservations or if you were hanging on to them for weeks or if you had a past history of abuse. But this is an extremely annoying problem when I badly need just 2 or 3 days more to hang on to both reservations until I can finalize my trip plans!

Is there any workaround or known trick to prevent it from autocancelling both of the reservations when this happens? I already reached out to United's text customer support.. no help there. Hoping there's some trick or workaround to this issue, besides obviously cancelling one of the reservations. My goal is to hang on to both reservations for another two or three days. Any ideas?
Yes, United does this, see [Consolidated] - Duplicated / double / impossible reservations -- What will UA do?
Have you considered using farelock?
Old Aug 9, 2023, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
OMG I thought it was only me having this issue. This only started happening to me on flights with similar dates this year. I don't remember this ever happening in the past even when dates were the same or very similar. It's so frustrating because I have two flights that I need to keep booked for a few days while I iron out and finalize my travel plans. My trip isn't for another 3 weeks. I wish United would just let us keep both. Looks like both reservations might get canceled and then I'll need to pay the within 3 weeks surcharge to rebook.
If you've got competing itineraries and need time to decide which one you will take, book one of them on another carrier. That's what I do because I am always waitlisting for UG on UA. That gives me the freedom to cancel the UA flight if I don't get the UG and fly on the other carrier. It's good that airlines no longer charge change fees.
SPN Lifer, RNE, econ and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...I wish United would just let us keep both. Looks like both reservations might get canceled and then I'll need to pay the within 3 weeks surcharge to rebook.
Your actions reduce inventory for others and may actually deplete a fare bucket, causing the airfare to rise for another booker. It is best for all that UA does not allow and is aggressive in cancelling illegitimate reservations like yours.

The whole point of advance airfares is to provide discounts to people who make their decisions early. You want the discount w/o making a decision.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.