Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] - Duplicated / double / impossible reservations -- What will UA do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 25, 2022, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Rule 5 Cancellation of Reservations
  • In addition to exercising any of its remedies in Rule 6 K) below, UA reserves the right to cancel bookings and/or reservations which it deems fraudulent, abusive, illogical, fictitious, which are booked and/or reserved with no intention of flying, or for which the passenger makes a misrepresentation without notice to the passenger or the individual making the booking. The types of improper reservations that UA will cancel without notice include, but are not limited to: reservations made without having been requested by or on behalf of the named passenger; reservations made to hold or block seats for the purpose of obtaining lower fares, MP award inventory, travel certificates, or upgrades that may not otherwise be available; reservations made to manipulate, abuse, or circumvent any of UA’s fare rules, policies or provisions; reservations made for the same passenger on flights traveling on or about the same date between one or more of the same or nearby origin or destination cities; and reservations with connections that depart before the arrival on the inbound flight.
Archive thread: Duplicated / double / impossible reservations -- What will UA do? {Archive}

Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] - Duplicated / double / impossible reservations -- What will UA do?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2024, 3:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dkc192
... Whether a traveler actually intends to do so is another question, but I don't particularly like the idea of UA's computer attempting to decipher a traveler's intent when determining which bookings/routings are duplicate and thus strictly impossible.
Booking 2 overlapping RTs shows intent without a lot of thinking
Old Jan 9, 2024, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I don't agree with booking multiple (same) itineraries without the intention on taking all of them.

That said, there are legitimate itineraries where United is flagging and placing them in the same bucket. This is where I wish agents have the power to override the algorithm.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and United747 like this.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
I have never skip-lagged once on UA, and people seem to think doing it once is no big deal, but I am wondering what would happen if I skipped XXX on SIN-SFO-XXX and instead jumped on SFO-YYY on a separate ticket (changing to SIN-SFO-YYY doesn't work due to the timing, not cost, of the flight(s) being offered--in particular, UA is only offering SIN-SFO-YYY on the evening SIN-SFO flight and I need to take the morning one).

I know UA flags double booking on the same flight; not sure if I'd be flagged here with separate flights from SFO that don't actually overlap on timing.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by st530
I have never skip-lagged once on UA, and people seem to think doing it once is no big deal, but I am wondering what would happen if I skipped XXX on SIN-SFO-XXX and instead jumped on SFO-YYY on a separate ticket (changing to SIN-SFO-YYY doesn't work due to the timing, not cost, of the flight(s) being offered--in particular, UA is only offering SIN-SFO-YYY on the evening SIN-SFO flight and I need to take the morning one).

I know UA flags double booking on the same flight; not sure if I'd be flagged here with separate flights from SFO that don't actually overlap on timing.
if there is enough time between ticketed arrival at XXX and departure of the new SFO-YYY flight then that can work.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by cfischer
if there is enough time between ticketed arrival at XXX and departure of the new SFO-YYY flight then that can work.
Thanks. Just not sure it's worth risking losing 3.8 M MP miles and Lifetime 1K, even if the risk seems very low.

I also thought about changing the current SIN-SFO-XXX to SIN-SFO, but strangely the "change flight" feature will only book me into economy (with a partial fare refund) even though the flight is J9.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 1:30 pm

SIN-SFO arrives at 9AM. Let's say you are booked SFO-LAS 11AM on the same ticket and intend to no show.

Let's say you really need to fly SFO-SBA instead (a route where only UA offers nonstop service).
Let's say you further want to buy a discounted SFO-SBA fare in advance.

If you book SFO-SBA for ~11AM, you are at high risk for a UA's automated duplicate booking process producing unwanted cancellations.
If you book SFO-SBA for ~4PM, you are at medium risk.
If you book SFO-SBA for -10PM, you are at low risk.
If you book SFO-SBA for ~11AM next day, you are at no risk.

If you really want the SFO-SBA for ~11AM same-day, you'll need to mitigate risk. One option is to get SFO-LAS ~11AM flight changed to much later in the day or early the next morning. Another option is to book SFO-SBA with a different name (JOHNQUINCY ADAMS, a birthday typo).
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 2:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Colin
... Another option is to book SFO-SBA with a different name (JOHNQUINCY ADAMS, a birthday typo).
evidence UA uses a variety of factors to detect flyers

Booking SFO-YYY on a separate carrier is the safest solution
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Colin
SIN-SFO arrives at 9AM. Let's say you are booked SFO-LAS 11AM on the same ticket and intend to no show.

Let's say you really need to fly SFO-SBA instead (a route where only UA offers nonstop service).
Let's say you further want to buy a discounted SFO-SBA fare in advance.

If you book SFO-SBA for ~11AM, you are at high risk for a UA's automated duplicate booking process producing unwanted cancellations.
If you book SFO-SBA for ~4PM, you are at medium risk.
If you book SFO-SBA for -10PM, you are at low risk.
If you book SFO-SBA for ~11AM next day, you are at no risk.

If you really want the SFO-SBA for ~11AM same-day, you'll need to mitigate risk. One option is to get SFO-LAS ~11AM flight changed to much later in the day or early the next morning. Another option is to book SFO-SBA with a different name (JOHNQUINCY ADAMS, a birthday typo).
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
evidence UA uses a variety of factors to detect flyers

Booking SFO-YYY on a separate carrier is the safest solution
Appreciate the thoughts, but my far bigger concern is risk to my account and lifetime 1K status by skip-lagging the original SFO-XXX flight. That's why I posted in that thread (before mods moved it here). Not really concerned about what will happen if I double book UA segments, especially if, as suggested, I were to choose a different carrier for SFO-XXX. That solves the UA double-book issue but not the UA skip-lag issue. Maybe there is no better answer than "risk is low but if you want zero risk, don't do it," but curious if any prior reports of adverse consequences for first-ever skip-lag.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Appreciate the thoughts, but my far bigger concern is risk to my account and lifetime 1K status by skip-lagging the original SFO-XXX flight. That's why I posted in that thread (before mods moved it here). Not really concerned about what will happen if I double book UA segments, especially if, as suggested, I were to choose a different carrier for SFO-XXX. That solves the UA double-book issue but not the UA skip-lag issue. Maybe there is no better answer than "risk is low but if you want zero risk, don't do it," but curious if any prior reports of adverse consequences for first-ever skip-lag.
unless you make it a habit, nothing will happen.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 9:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
...but curious if any prior reports of adverse consequences for first-ever skip-lag.
I did it a few years back with the result of having a negative value flight credit if I was to go into past flight, seeing the flight in question and trying to use it.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 11:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Currently have SFO-FRA on a Monday evening (award ticket on LH). Looking at potentially SFO-CDG on UA on the previous Friday. Will cancel one, but might need a few days to decide. Seems like this is far enough apart that there's zero risk, but curious if anyone has any strong opinions or experience to the contrary?
Old Jan 27, 2024, 7:59 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
I much appreciated when United sent me an email about my wife having an impossible pair of flights. I had made one reservation for her and my wife made the other conflicting one. I didn't see the issue on my trips so I called in. The agent explained the situation and my wife corrected her reservation. Might not have caught it without the email. My wife got an email also.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, uanj and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA1K
I have an itinerary to Europe with AC on the way out and UA on the way back. On the way out, I’d like to book a flight the same time as the AC one and fly standby the day before because it’s significantly cheaper. The Europe itinerary is booked through LH but because of the UA segments has a UA PNR. Will that cause issues, or is UA only looking at flights on its own metal for overlapping reservations?
Old Jan 31, 2024, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by unitedwildcat
I have an itinerary to Europe with AC on the way out and UA on the way back. On the way out, I’d like to book a flight the same time as the AC one and fly standby the day before because it’s significantly cheaper. The Europe itinerary is booked through LH but because of the UA segments has a UA PNR. Will that cause issues, or is UA only looking at flights on its own metal for overlapping reservations?
You should expect that UA may flag this as impossible. There is no "only UA flights count" logic.

Your plan is also confusing -- what are you planning to do with the AC flight if your UA standby clears?
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 11:54 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by jsloan
You should expect that UA may flag this as impossible. There is no "only UA flights count" logic.

Your plan is also confusing -- what are you planning to do with the AC flight if your UA standby clears?
that makes sense. thank you!

it’s a separate trip that came up after the fact that I need to now book. the AC leg is not related to the UA standby itinerary besides being at the same time

edit: reading what I wrote again and realizing I did a poor job of explaining. sorry for the confusion but appreciate the quick and helpful response as usual

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.