Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Duplicated / double / impossible reservations -- What will UA do? {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2013, 6:48 am
Original Poster

I am currently booked on an award ticket with the last segment scheduled to depart ORD around 13:30. This was booked with USDM so changing it can be complicated (some agents require the whole ticket be cancelled and rebooked - of course not all segments are available any more).

I noticed there is now an earlier flight leaving at 11 am - I was looking to book this earlier flight on a separate ticket but I have read that having two reservations on the same day can be problematic and one of them may automatically be cancelled. Is this true?

I'm pretty sure I've been booked on the 11 am flight in the past only to have it cancelled at the last minute - and then couldn't get on the 13:30 and then United pushed my reservation back all the way to 22:00 because flights were all sold out....don't want to go through that again!

I was thinking if I can book the 11 am flight separately and if it happens to get cancelled then I have the original 13:30 flight to fall back on...but this won't work if the system automatically cancels one of the tickets due to a duplication.

Of course if I get on the 11 am flight I would inform the GA that I won't be on the 13:30 flight.

if anyone has done this before I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks
Old Jul 31, 2013, 6:53 am

Programs: UA 1K
You'll probably be OK here. Duplicate reservations on different flights can happen for reasonable reasons (you may misconnect and a helpful agent grabs space for you), and this works out OK as the last segment of a trip.

Where I would worry is if you for some reason decided to make two reservations on *the exact same flight*. One of those might be auto-cancelled.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 6:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
UA uses fairly agressive software to locate "impossible" bookings and then backs out space which may have been manually protected by an agent a part of an IRROPS booking or the like.

Put simply, if it's likely impossible to fly all segments booked on a given day, the system may cancel one or both and may or may not notify you until it's too late to fix.

Better move here is to fix the issue in advance, inconvenient as it may be.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 7:10 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Often1
UA uses fairly agressive software to locate "impossible" bookings and then backs out space which may have been manually protected by an agent a part of an IRROPS booking or the like.

Put simply, if it's likely impossible to fly all segments booked on a given day, the system may cancel one or both and may or may not notify you until it's too late to fix.

Better move here is to fix the issue in advance, inconvenient as it may be.
Huh, I will totally defer to your pessimism here. Has this happened to you?
Old Jul 31, 2013, 7:30 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Huh, I will totally defer to your pessimism here. Has this happened to you?
Sorry, I won't.

No way the OP has any problems doing this.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 8:15 am

Programs: UA GS, SPG Gold, HH Gold, MR Gold, Avis First
Possible, but......

This is possible and the system will allow you to do it. If you are trying to check in at a kiosk you are most likely going to run into an issue. When I have done this myself before, either with the same kind of issue you describe here or multiple separate record locators in one day for different flights, the kiosk has kicked it back and told me to go see an agent. The agent will of course look at you funny, but ultimately they can check you in for both flights and it should be fine. Much easier if you can check in online and carry-on your luggage.

I have also had this done for me by a helpful phone agent when it seemed every flight of the day was delayed or having mechanicals. That worked out just fine. I boarded the earlier flight and the system took care of the other one when I didn't show up. Of course I had to request mileage later, but a small price to pay.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 8:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GrandDaddyLongLegs
This is possible and the system will allow you to do it. If you are trying to check in at a kiosk you are most likely going to run into an issue. When I have done this myself before, either with the same kind of issue you describe here or multiple separate record locators in one day for different flights, the kiosk has kicked it back and told me to go see an agent. The agent will of course look at you funny, but ultimately they can check you in for both flights and it should be fine. Much easier if you can check in online and carry-on your luggage.

I have also had this done for me by a helpful phone agent when it seemed every flight of the day was delayed or having mechanicals. That worked out just fine. I boarded the earlier flight and the system took care of the other one when I didn't show up. Of course I had to request mileage later, but a small price to pay.
I've done two separate reservations on the same day and when I checked in at the kiosk, it simply gave me a check box to select which itinerary I was interested in checking in.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Unless you really really need to get there 2.5h earlier, I'd just try SDC/standby when you arrive in ORD.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 9:54 am

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
I've never had an issue doing this. Often I book 2 return tickets SFO-LAX ever since I missed a flight b/c TSA at SFO ran over 1 hour queue. There is also the unknown traffic from downtown SF to SFO.

Once I had 2 tickets for a return JFK-LAX, and UA called and asked me about this. I explained that I didn't know if my meetings would end early morning or late afternoon. They were OK with this and just asked me to call and cancel the one I would not be using. This was pre-merger, so the policy may have changed.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 7:09 pm

Will United cancel conflicting reservations?

Here's my situation. Months ago I booked two United award tickets from IAH-MCO and back (the miles were in separate accounts so had to be booked as two one-ways). This was personal travel. Today I learn I may have to fly overseas for business the same week, leaving from IAH on Monday, returning Friday (I would book the return to MCO so I could make my personal engagement that weekend). However, the business trip is uncertain, but our travel policy says we have to book tickets as soon as possible. I don't want to cancel my personal travel until I'm sure that the business trip will happen.

If I go ahead and book the international ticket (business class, so refundable) will United see me flying XYZ-MCO on Friday and cancel my Thursday award ticket IAH-MCO since there's no way I could be in IAH that day? Either way I would still take the return flight from MCO.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
I don't think they will cancel your award reservation - that is until you miss your first flight - and then they will....
Old Dec 13, 2013, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I don't think they will cancel your award reservation - that is until you miss your first flight - and then they will....
Once I get closer to the business trip - the week before - if it still stands, I would cancel my award ticket and get the miles refunded for the fee. If the business trip gets rescheduled, I'd take the award ticket - I just want to make sure it's still there.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
No it won't be auto canceled. The ones that get hairy are when you book yourself to be on two different planes in the air simultaneously.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 8:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
So long as you could fly both itineraries, you won't have a problem. If you can't, there is a risk. At that point, you may have to make a judgment call.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 7:57 am

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
This has been discussed a couple times previously. As travel time gets near, there seems to be some code in the system that picks up on "impossible" flight combinations, and there's some speculation that the system may cancel one (or even both) tickets, but I don't recall any specific reports.

Just this past October, I had 2 tickets booked to return SFO-LAX because I cannot be sure when my business meetings would end (and traffic to SFO & TSA queue at SFO can vary wildly). They did not cancel either ticket.

Pre-merger, once I had a mid day & night return tickets for JFK-LAX (for very same reasons), and I got a phone call from UA reservations. When I explained uncertainly of my meeting schedule, they accepted and only requested I call and cancel the ticket I would not be using ASAP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.