Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] - Duplicated / double / impossible reservations -- What will UA do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 25, 2022, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Rule 5 Cancellation of Reservations
  • In addition to exercising any of its remedies in Rule 6 K) below, UA reserves the right to cancel bookings and/or reservations which it deems fraudulent, abusive, illogical, fictitious, which are booked and/or reserved with no intention of flying, or for which the passenger makes a misrepresentation without notice to the passenger or the individual making the booking. The types of improper reservations that UA will cancel without notice include, but are not limited to: reservations made without having been requested by or on behalf of the named passenger; reservations made to hold or block seats for the purpose of obtaining lower fares, MP award inventory, travel certificates, or upgrades that may not otherwise be available; reservations made to manipulate, abuse, or circumvent any of UA’s fare rules, policies or provisions; reservations made for the same passenger on flights traveling on or about the same date between one or more of the same or nearby origin or destination cities; and reservations with connections that depart before the arrival on the inbound flight.
Archive thread: Duplicated / double / impossible reservations -- What will UA do? {Archive}

Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] - Duplicated / double / impossible reservations -- What will UA do?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2023, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by giacona
Does anyone happen to know if UA will allow you to have 2 reservations at the same time?

The reason I am asking is I have a (refundable) award booking using points, but the redemption was high 40K points.If I am a able to find a better redemption, would I be able to book that while I still have the existing reservation without an issue? Then cancel the higher redemption? Depending on availability sometimes airlines will release saver awards closer to the departure to the flight. Just do not want to have an issue

Thanks
I know many have done this successfully, but beware that I tried this in June after noticing an award price change, and it got caught right away. I got emails with duplicate warnings almost instantly (within 30 minutes), and the second (lower miles) PNR never ticketed. Even worse, I got errors trying to manage both reservations, so I couldn't cancel either online. A few hours later the new PNR dropped (without any email), and then I was finally able to cancel the old one. Fortunately the lower price was still available, and I rebooked it without incident after canceling the old.

I don't know what was different about this (a normal domestic UA metal one-way), but it was a surprise. I didn't get a chance to call and see if they could fix it as I had work meetings going on. YMMV of course.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 10:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jmastron
I know many have done this successfully, but beware that I tried this in June after noticing an award price change, and it got caught right away. I got emails with duplicate warnings almost instantly (within 30 minutes), and the second (lower miles) PNR never ticketed.
UA caught a duplicate res for my partner within 60 minutes last month. They were different routes, one paid, one award, and the paid ticket wasn't even on UA metal (NH to NH). The dupe ticketed, but we got a warning email almost immediately (and I cancelled the award, which had been the plan all along).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
UA caught a duplicate res for my partner within 60 minutes last month. They were different routes, one paid, one award, and the paid ticket wasn't even on UA metal (NH to NH). The dupe ticketed, but we got a warning email almost immediately (and I cancelled the award, which had been the plan all along).
The gotcha in my case was that it locked out both the old and new reservations for online changes at least, so despite the warning emails I couldn't do anything about it until the new one auto-cancelled.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 4:21 am

[gone]

Last edited by beltway; Apr 5, 2024 at 4:03 pm
Old Oct 3, 2023, 7:12 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by beltway
A puzzler:

I have two trips booked for the same date to different European destinations:
  • Award booked though United (on *A partners, not that it matters)
  • Award booked through AC on UA (domestic segment) and TAP
    • The FF#s are for AC, as you’d expect
When I go to TAP’s website to view the latter booking, it shows everything just fine, including assigned seats on UA. Viewing the booking on UA’s site—not logged in, obviously—only the long-haul TAP segment is showing, with no evidence of the domestic segment on UA metal. This seems bad.

Is it possible UA has detected the overlapping travel and silently deleted the domestic segment? As between P2 and me, one of has a very common name, but the other’s name is exceedingly rare/unusual.

How are you viewing your booking without obviously logging in? Setting aside the issue that when you enter your name and record locator, you are “logged in,” why would you not go to your profile/trips, and see what us there?
RNE likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 10:25 am

[gone]

Last edited by beltway; Apr 5, 2024 at 4:04 pm
Old Oct 3, 2023, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I enter PNR/surname, I am not logged into my UA account.

The itinerary is not visible in my trips list when I do log in.
I don't see why it would be, given that you use your AC FQTV.

Regarding your original question, I'm not sure I'm following. Are both trips for both passengers, or is one trip for one pax and the other for the other? And what flights overlap? Same pax on UA metal, or same pax on UA metal plus other *A metal, or something else?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 1:01 pm

[not here]

Last edited by beltway; Apr 5, 2024 at 4:04 pm
Old Oct 3, 2023, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, true. I mentioned that mostly for completeness & to clarify for the other FTer commenting on this.

Both trips for both pax, departing the same day—ergo literally impossible to make both trips as scheduled. Trip 1, booked through UA, is on LH/OS metal; Trip 2, booked through AC, is on UA/TP. I’m not convinced UA’s systems are smart enough or aggressive enough to find the overlap based strictly on one pax’ distinctive name, but that’s the only explanation I can come up with for the apparent disappearance of the UA segment in Trip 2.
It's quite possible UA has flagged it as dup then. A few posts up, Kacee reported UA sending a cancellation notice about an overlap with NH flight, so I can imagine they'd be able to see LH group overlap as well. Personally I'm not too sure how they find it — perhaps due to codesharing. The match is quite "liberal" and is only based on given and surnames (ignores birthday, middle names/initials, fqtv, etc).

Maybe let us know if you find out whether they've indeed cancelled the UA segment?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 2:11 pm

=====
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by beltway; Apr 5, 2024 at 4:04 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 9, 2023, 11:04 pm

I just got emails about two overlapping flights this coming Sunday (one of the reservations starts with a departure on Thursday). Apologies if these have already been answered somewhere in this long thread but I couldn’t find it if so:

- How long do I have either after receiving the email and/or before flight time before auto cancel occurs?

- One of my overlapping flights is with my family while the other is by myself. If the one with my family is auto cancelled, will only my ticket be cancelled or my entire family’s?
Old Oct 10, 2023, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by acousticbiker
I just got emails about two overlapping flights this coming Sunday (one of the reservations starts with a departure on Thursday). Apologies if these have already been answered somewhere in this long thread but I couldn’t find it if so:

- How long do I have either after receiving the email and/or before flight time before auto cancel occurs?

- One of my overlapping flights is with my family while the other is by myself. If the one with my family is auto cancelled, will only my ticket be cancelled or my entire family’s?
Entire family if thats the one it chooses. Sometimes as short as an hour before it cancels, other times days. Generally closer the flight the faster it cancels.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2023, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by acousticbiker

You might want to contact United customer service sooner than later before the cancellation triggers.

An instance on my end from earlier this year on separate ticket routing neither duplication nor impossible was documented here (nearly 30 hours apart between schedule$ arrival of one ticket and scheduled departure of another), and still cancellation notices triggered. Two reinstatements by United 1K desk before I gave up and booked away from United.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and Xyzzy like this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 3:05 pm

Programs: Diamond: HH & BW. PlatElite: IHG. Exp: Hyatt. Gold: UA & Bonvoy
On United, can you book the same flight twice, one being a business award and the other being economy with cash and pointsplus? Thoughts being once the upgrade list comes out, if there's no chance of being upgraded would cancel the cash ticket for a credit (understand not a refund) and if it looks like there's a good chance of being upgraded then would cancel the award?
Old Oct 13, 2023, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Bacardi 151
On United, can you book the same flight twice, one being a business award and the other being economy with cash and pointsplus? Thoughts being once the upgrade list comes out, if there's no chance of being upgraded would cancel the cash ticket for a credit (understand not a refund) and if it looks like there's a good chance of being upgraded then would cancel the award?
Best case scenario, you'd get emails about duplicated reservations, and computer decides which one it will cancel.

Worst case scenario, do this often, and have your account shut down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.