Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] - Duplicated / double / impossible reservations -- What will UA do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 25, 2022, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Rule 5 Cancellation of Reservations
  • In addition to exercising any of its remedies in Rule 6 K) below, UA reserves the right to cancel bookings and/or reservations which it deems fraudulent, abusive, illogical, fictitious, which are booked and/or reserved with no intention of flying, or for which the passenger makes a misrepresentation without notice to the passenger or the individual making the booking. The types of improper reservations that UA will cancel without notice include, but are not limited to: reservations made without having been requested by or on behalf of the named passenger; reservations made to hold or block seats for the purpose of obtaining lower fares, MP award inventory, travel certificates, or upgrades that may not otherwise be available; reservations made to manipulate, abuse, or circumvent any of UA’s fare rules, policies or provisions; reservations made for the same passenger on flights traveling on or about the same date between one or more of the same or nearby origin or destination cities; and reservations with connections that depart before the arrival on the inbound flight.
Archive thread: Duplicated / double / impossible reservations -- What will UA do? {Archive}

Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] - Duplicated / double / impossible reservations -- What will UA do?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2022, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Continental

I know that if you have two reservations to travel on the same date to the same destination, the United system will cancel one of them.

What if you have two reservations originating from different airports?

Will they still cancel one?
Old Jan 12, 2022, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by hockey7711
I know that if you have two reservations to travel on the same date to the same destination, the United system will cancel one of them.

If the system detects a temporal conflict from the same MP user/account, yes.

David
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by DELee
I'm not sure how sophisticated United is, but Air Canada goes well beyond just checking the frequent flyer number. They use name, gender, date of birth, etc to detect these unflyable itineraries.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by hockey7711

I have done both of your scenarios, and nothing has happened. Need more details on what you are trying to do.

Just as an example, I have flown LAX-MCO-LAX-EWR on separate tickets on the same day.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 9:12 am

Programs: Former UA1K transitioning to WFBF mentality
Originally Posted by Repooc17
I have done both of your scenarios, and nothing has happened. Need more details on what you are trying to do.

Just as an example, I have flown LAX-MCO-LAX-EWR on separate tickets on the same day.
I had 016 mileage ticket IAH-Europe and tried to ticket cash 016 on different flights but same origin/destination airports. UA computers refused to ticket the second one, but didn't tell me (I only noticed when I didn't see ticket numbers). Thankfully a 1K agent was able to re-ticket at the same price a few days later, as prices had 4x by that point... I had to cancel the mileage tickets first. I tried to eat my cake and have it too - cash 016 tickets were $1.8k roundtrip IAH-Europe a few months ago!

Last edited by marks88; Jan 12, 2022 at 9:15 am Reason: elaborate
Old Jan 12, 2022, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee

David
Yes, this. It even looks at farelocks and will cancel the ticketed reservation if you have a conflicting fare lock.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 10:23 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum

You did not have time overlap between tickets, did you? United is very good on cancelling overlapped reservations.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 10:23 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold

I have posted about this before they will definitely cancel you our IF detected. It has happened to me. They don't want you tying up seats even with price lock. It took a couple of days in my case but once discovered they will cancel you out. Not quite sure how it works with getting your price lock fees back, perhaps.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Kmxu
You did not have time overlap between tickets, did you? United is very good on cancelling overlapped reservations.
No overlaps, but the time in between were all pretty tight. I remember coming into MCO from LAX, and the flight to LAX had already started boarding. A little more cushion back at LAX for the second time in a day before boarding the redeye flight back to the east coast.

Yes, the trip was a MR.
Kmxu likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 10:41 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
No overlaps, but the time in between were all pretty tight. I remember coming into MCO from LAX, and the flight to LAX had already started boarding. A little more cushion back at LAX for the second time in a day before boarding the redeye flight back to the east coast.

Yes, the trip was a MR.
I have also had reservations canceled for "illegal connections", when the bookings were too tight time wise, didn't they use that term?
Old Jan 12, 2022, 11:02 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum

Yes, the trip was a MR.
When I saw those city pairs, I was thinking of my MR trips before reaching 3MM. I did ORF-EWR-LAX-EWR-MCO and MCO-IAD-LAX-EWR-ORF on 8-10 weekends.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kmxu
When I saw those city pairs, I was thinking of my MR trips before reaching 3MM. I did ORF-EWR-LAX-EWR-MCO and MCO-IAD-LAX-EWR-ORF on 8-10 weekends.
Credit to you for alerting me about the fare I started out the day bright and early in PHX, ended in EWR about 24 hours later, and more running right after my EWR redeye arrival. Netted around 30K BIS that week across a few airlines. Good times

Also had a IAD-LAX-IAD run that same week for less than $89 (non-BE fare) and under 2 cpm - comp upgraded to F/J cabin throughout.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 12:25 pm

Question UA 2 Tickets Same Day...Auto Cancel?

Hi All,

Have a UA rewards itinerary...

Was STL-ORD-ANC in the afternoon.

Due to a schedule change is now STL-DEN-ANC in the afternoon.

Want to travel through ORD to catch same flight as friends. Only STL-ORD-ANC routing is now only in the morning. Due to my work, I cannot commit to that time frame until much closer to travel day.

Question: Can I keep my existing STL-DEN-ANC routing as a back up and book an additional awards ticket for the available morning STL-ORD-ANC? So, I would have 2 separate reservations for travel between the same 2 cities on the same day. Would that result in an auto-cancelation of one of them? Or could this be a way around my problem?

Thank you!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 9, 2022 at 12:45 pm Reason: moved to subject thread
Old Feb 9, 2022, 12:41 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Sadly NO. You can try but the system now looks for itineraries (paid or miles) that overlap and can't happen. Of all the things IT that they fixed this was a priority for them. You may be able to have the duplication for a day or two but the system generally catches these quickly. I've had it happen twice. One time was on a paid itinerary, and I messed up the dates of my travel. The second time I had two existing mileage awards and one of them had segments drop off.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by mh3265a
Sadly NO. You can try but the system now looks for itineraries (paid or miles) that overlap and can't happen. Of all the things IT that they fixed this was a priority for them. You may be able to have the duplication for a day or two but the system generally catches these quickly. I've had it happen twice. One time was on a paid itinerary, and I messed up the dates of my travel. The second time I had two existing mileage awards and one of them had segments drop off.
Thank you!

One other related question. I can only find the STL-ORD-ANC routing when searching for award fares. There appears to be plenty of seats available. I do not see this same routing when searching for a cash itinerary. Any idea why that is? Thanks again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.