Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] - Duplicated / double / impossible reservations -- What will UA do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 25, 2022, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Rule 5 Cancellation of Reservations
  • In addition to exercising any of its remedies in Rule 6 K) below, UA reserves the right to cancel bookings and/or reservations which it deems fraudulent, abusive, illogical, fictitious, which are booked and/or reserved with no intention of flying, or for which the passenger makes a misrepresentation without notice to the passenger or the individual making the booking. The types of improper reservations that UA will cancel without notice include, but are not limited to: reservations made without having been requested by or on behalf of the named passenger; reservations made to hold or block seats for the purpose of obtaining lower fares, MP award inventory, travel certificates, or upgrades that may not otherwise be available; reservations made to manipulate, abuse, or circumvent any of UA’s fare rules, policies or provisions; reservations made for the same passenger on flights traveling on or about the same date between one or more of the same or nearby origin or destination cities; and reservations with connections that depart before the arrival on the inbound flight.
Archive thread: Duplicated / double / impossible reservations -- What will UA do? {Archive}

Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] - Duplicated / double / impossible reservations -- What will UA do?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2023, 12:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It took UA only 3:25 to spot a duplicate reservation and send me the email. First was an award ticket on UA and partner metal. Second was a revenue ticket all on NH metal, UA flight numbers. Was a little surprised since the second itinerary had no UA operated flights.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Kacee
It took UA only 3:25 to spot a duplicate reservation and send me the email. First was an award ticket on UA and partner metal. Second was a revenue ticket all on NH metal, UA flight numbers. Was a little surprised since the second itinerary had no UA operated flights.
Did you apply your MP number to the NH itinerary?

David

p.s. Big Brother UA is watching....
Old Aug 15, 2023, 4:36 pm

How many days apart does United consider an overlapping reservation? I see award availability for 2 consecutive weeks which I would like to hold until I finalize the rest of plans including taking time off from work. I see Sept 3 - 10th open and then Sept 8 - 15th open. Would UA's system consider these overlapping? I know it does within a day or two but not sure how this one would work out
Old Aug 15, 2023, 4:43 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by iexaltu
How many days apart does United consider an overlapping reservation? I see award availability for 2 consecutive weeks which I would like to hold until I finalize the rest of plans including taking time off from work. I see Sept 3 - 10th open and then Sept 8 - 15th open. Would UA's system consider these overlapping? I know it does within a day or two but not sure how this one would work out
Can't answer your question, but grab those before they are gone!
blitzen likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by iexaltu
​​​​​​
So like:

1) US to Europe on Sep 3 (#1)
2) US to Europe on Sep 8 (#2)
3) Europe to US on Sep 10 (#1)
4) Europe to to US on Sep 15 (#2)

That is playing with fire based on my own experience, but hey, you won't know until you'd try, right?
Old Aug 15, 2023, 7:26 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If booked as four one-ways, I don't know that UA will catch it.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
If booked as four one-ways, I don't know that UA will catch it.
If your MP number is on each of the PNRs, yes it will know. Let's see if the algorithm cares or not.

David
Old Aug 15, 2023, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
If your MP number is on each of the PNRs, yes it will know. Let's see if the algorithm cares or not.
They're not impossible if booked as OWs. You could have a 1.5 Europe to US and a 3.5 US to Europe on different carrier(s) and the tickets would all be flyable.
Did you apply your MP number to the NH itinerary?
Yep (not mine, partner's).
Old Aug 15, 2023, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did the overlap NH flights have UA codeshare?
Old Aug 16, 2023, 8:27 am
RNE

It took UA only 3:25 to spot a duplicate reservation...
Big Brother UA is watching...
A big brother named Scott.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 10:45 am

Award Booking

Does anyone happen to know if UA will allow you to have 2 reservations at the same time?

The reason I am asking is I have a (refundable) award booking using points, but the redemption was high 40K points.If I am a able to find a better redemption, would I be able to book that while I still have the existing reservation without an issue? Then cancel the higher redemption? Depending on availability sometimes airlines will release saver awards closer to the departure to the flight. Just do not want to have an issue

Thanks
Old Oct 2, 2023, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by giacona
Does anyone happen to know if UA will allow you to have 2 reservations at the same time?

The reason I am asking is I have a (refundable) award booking using points, but the redemption was high 40K points.If I am a able to find a better redemption, would I be able to book that while I still have the existing reservation without an issue? Then cancel the higher redemption? Depending on availability sometimes airlines will release saver awards closer to the departure to the flight. Just do not want to have an issue

Thanks
They will not allow you to hold two reservations at once for any nontrivial period of time. The scenario you're describing, however, booking a lower-priced award and then canceling the higher-priced award immediately upon verification of ticketing -- will work.
SPN Lifer and uanj like this.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 11:27 am

Thanks for the reply. if I re-book the lower award with a star alliance partner such as Turkish on united metal, is there a chance the new ticket could get canceled since I already have an existing ticket? As I mentioned, I would cancel my higher priced award which is with United once the lower priced award us booked, Any thoughts on that? Not sure how long to the reservation takes to show up on United's reservation system
Old Oct 2, 2023, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the reply. if I re-book the lower award with a star alliance partner such as Turkish on united metal, is there a chance the new ticket could get canceled since I already have an existing ticket? As I mentioned, I would cancel my higher priced award which is with United once the lower priced award is booked, Any thoughts on that? Not sure how long to the reservation takes to show up on United's reservation system
Is it possible? Yes. I don't think it's particularly likely, though.

The reservation would appear in UA's system immediately.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry

Thanks
I have done this many, many times and never had an issue.

To be specific, once the newer reservation is ticketed, I immediately cancel the prior one. So I don't have conflicting reservations for more than a couple minutes.

I haven't had a newer one fail to ticket "immediately", so not sure how I would handle if it got stuck.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.