Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will UA issue ticket (016 ticket) w/ partner airline only, no UA/UX flight on itin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will UA issue ticket (016 ticket) w/ partner airline only, no UA/UX flight on itin?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2015, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
But when I go to United.com to book a flight on TG (e.g., BKK to HKG) no flights are found. How do I find bookable flights/routes on United?

If I don't fly direct (and instead fly United to NRT and then another *A airline (ANA?) to HKG or BKK) and book on United, will this count towards PQD? I think the flight must be marketed as UA (which it is). How can I be sure before booking... can I see 016 ticket stock someplace before booking?
You can use award searches (last screen gives revenue options) or google.com/flights to book on UA directly.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by aacharya
You can use award searches (last screen gives revenue options) or google.com/flights to book on UA directly.
Fair enough. But what I'm trying to ascertain is how to ensure PQDs are eligible. I read the rules and it says it must be 016 ticket stock. When booking via google flights as you suggest (or direct) I see the UA flight # but it says Operated by a *A airline. I can't find anywhere where I can see the ticket 016 before purchase. Can I?
Old Oct 13, 2015, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Fair enough. But what I'm trying to ascertain is how to ensure PQDs are eligible. I read the rules and it says it must be 016 ticket stock. When booking via google flights as you suggest (or direct) I see the UA flight # but it says Operated by a *A airline. I can't find anywhere where I can see the ticket 016 before purchase. Can I?
If you book on United Airlines, it will ticket on 016.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 7:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If you book on United Airlines, it will ticket on 016.
Exactly. If you buy it through the UA website, and it's on a *A partner, it will count toward PQD.

Caveat that the TG flight will cost more through UA than if booked directly through TG, as UA typically only sells full fare (Y, J, F) TG tickets when you book through these methods.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Trying to book NZ J class PVG-AKL.

1) united.com never shows the nonstop option for revenue search
2) NZ doesn't release J awards for this route
3) google.com/flights doesn't show UA option

What can I do?
Old Feb 10, 2016, 3:03 am

Location: out my front door 60 min prior to IAH flight until they increased the check in time to 45 min
Programs: CO Platinum or UA 1K for so long, now almost 2MM
Can anybody clue me in on how to ticket this itinerary on 016 stock? Tried on UA website as revenue and as award to no avail.

Air Canada Flight 8108
7:05am Sun Jun 12
Houston, United States (IAH)
11:07am Sun Jun 12
Toronto, Canada (YYZ)
Business

Air Canada Flight 87
1:00pm Sun Jun 12
Toronto, Canada (YYZ)
3:15pm Mon Jun 13
Shanghai, China (PVG)
Business

Air Canada Flight 88
5:10pm Sun Jun 19
Shanghai, China (PVG)
7:00pm Sun Jun 19
Toronto, Canada (YYZ)
Business

Air Canada Flight 8115
8:55pm Sun Jun 19
Toronto, Canada (YYZ)
11:07pm Sun Jun 19
Business
Old Feb 10, 2016, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by arisaa
Can anybody clue me in on how to ticket this itinerary on 016 stock? Tried on UA website as revenue and as award to no avail.

Air Canada Flight 8108
Toronto, Canada (YYZ)
Business

Air Canada Flight 87
Toronto, Canada (YYZ)
Shanghai, China (PVG)
Business

Air Canada Flight 88
Shanghai, China (PVG)
Toronto, Canada (YYZ)
Business

Air Canada Flight 8115
Toronto, Canada (YYZ)
Business
Are you looking for full business or discount? One option is to check online for any date where the award is available. When you find it, opt to purchase for revenue instead. Ticket it, then call UA to change to the dates you want.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by arisaa

Air Canada Flight 8108
Toronto, Canada (YYZ)
Business

Air Canada Flight 87
Toronto, Canada (YYZ)
Shanghai, China (PVG)
Business

Air Canada Flight 88
Shanghai, China (PVG)
Toronto, Canada (YYZ)
Business

Air Canada Flight 8115
Toronto, Canada (YYZ)
Business
Hipmunk or google flights will probably give you this option.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Hipmunk or google flights will probably give you this option.
Indeed, if I put that itinerary into Google Flights, it comes up with four booking options (all prices USD): Air Canada $4,622, CheapOair $5,080, Orbitz $5,080, and United $5,487. (For the United purchase, it's changing the last leg to the UA codeshare of the same flight, for reasons known only to Google).

So, while you can do it online, you may do better by calling UA and asking them if they can get you the lower price. (The AC price may not be obtainable -- looking at the fare rules, it says "sale is restricted to specific agents," which may preclude UA. However, when I looked at the fare rules for the Orbitz / CheapOair price, I didn't see a plating restriction or any other reason that UA couldn't offer that fare).

Last edited by jsloan; Feb 10, 2016 at 8:47 am Reason: Clarification on lower fare availability
Old Mar 11, 2016, 6:58 am

Programs: UA 1K
I just tried to make a booking with no UA segments - out with Brussels Airlines, back with Lufthansa. United.com kept giving me an error message. Phoned up and the agent said she couldn't ticket me a flight with no UA segments. HUACA. Second agent went ahead and ticketed it. (Right now it is not fully ticketed, it is on "24 hour hold" waiting for Brussels Airlines to confirm the space).

Assuming it gets confirmed - this is yet another example of inconsistency between phone reps. Kind of annoying...
Old Apr 6, 2016, 8:06 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by DesertNomad
I am trying to book PRG-LIS-CAS on TAP using United's site. Why aren't these flights showing up and is there any way to do so... so that it is ticketed on 016 stock for miles?

Thanks,

DN
Nearly all discounted TAP fares require plating only on TP ticket stock.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 8:12 pm

To be fair, while United's "willingness" to ticket bookings with no UA segments on non-016 stock is an awesome thing for us, it is decidedly *not* a company or industry best practice for many circumstances discussed in the thread.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
I believe this is a rule for travel agencies. As I mentioned later in my post, UA is not a travel agency, and tickets differently as a carrier (they can only ticket 016). At least as far as I'm aware.

I'm happy to be told I'm wrong if that is indeed the case.

I know there are a few folks who have posted on the board at least occasionally, if not more, who are actual TAs who know more. Hopefully they can come and share.
Every IATA carrier effectively behaves like a travel agency when booking space on another airline, and is supposed to abide various industry resolutions, best practices, and carrier-specific booking rules.

Airlines can and do receive debit memos -- much like travel agents do -- for OAL ticketing violations.
Old May 21, 2016, 5:30 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Has anyone recently had experience booking a *A revenue itinerary on 016 stock without any UA segments? I booked one on united.com about six hours ago involving three *A carriers. I got the "codeshare ticketing delay" e-mail and suppose I may have to wait up to 24 hours for ticketing. What should I do if it doesn't ticket by then?
Old May 21, 2016, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by sannmann
Has anyone recently had experience booking a *A revenue itinerary on 016 stock without any UA segments? I booked one on united.com about six hours ago involving three *A carriers. I got the "codeshare ticketing delay" e-mail and suppose I may have to wait up to 24 hours for ticketing. What should I do if it doesn't ticket by then?
Please do let us know if it eventually tickets automatically! This is a problem many of us are interested in, and there seems to be no uniform experience base. One might guess that if you phone in and talk to a human about this, you'll end up worse off! Do I understand correctly from your post that not only is there no UA metal, but also no UA codeshare flight numbers? Sounds like you're pretty lucky to have the website even forward it for ticketing. I've never been able to get the website to even offer me all *A itins with no UA flight numbers, but that's a separate issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.