Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will UA issue ticket (016 ticket) w/ partner airline only, no UA/UX flight on itin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will UA issue ticket (016 ticket) w/ partner airline only, no UA/UX flight on itin?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2016, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Juventini
Nice work-around, thanks

I have also been able to use award search tool to select partner award space and do the "Purchase this ticket in Economy with $$ instead" option at pricing page on united.com

Managed to get PQDs for travel solely on WP and NH.
I used to use the award space search. But that seems to not work these days!
Old Dec 6, 2016, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by zrs70
No, not hidden city.

If you call United, they will ticket you LIS-EWR (TP) -BOS, as it includes a UA segment. But they won't ticket LIS-EWR alone.

So you set up the LIS-EWR-BOS ticket via google flights. But before the ticket is issues, you call United and have them drop the EWR-BOS flight. Because the reservation is already in the system, the agent won't tell you it can't be done. They will simply drop the segment, reprice the flight, and issue the ticket.

No hidden city. No violation of rules.
Whose fare is it? Is it a TAP fare or a UA fare? I'd check the notes in the fare rules.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 3:59 pm

No, not hidden city.

If you call United, they will ticket you LIS-EWR (TP) -BOS, as it includes a UA segment. But they won't ticket LIS-EWR alone.

So you set up the LIS-EWR-BOS ticket via google flights. But before the ticket is issued, you call United and have them drop the EWR-BOS flight. Because the reservation is already in the system, the agent won't tell you it can't be done. They will simply drop the segment, reprice the flight, and issue the ticket.
So is the inference that Google flights does NOT obey the UA policy that international tickets plated on UA must have the first overwater segment on UA? Rather it passes the itinerary to united.com, ready to ticket, and .com is simply not smart enough to understand what's happening, and is willing to issue said ticket?
Old Dec 6, 2016, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Plat, SPG/M P75 and few from CC
Good to know, as things changed after 10/6 maybe even early

Old Dec 6, 2016, 4:21 pm

Agree. This doesn't work for me either anymore. In the past I was always able to get an agent to do this manually but, as mentioned, lately they have really cracked down and are refusing to do it.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 4:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Starman
So is the inference that Google flights does NOT obey the UA policy that international tickets plated on UA must have the first overwater segment on UA?
Huh? What UA policy?

Old Dec 6, 2016, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Huh? What UA policy?
If you call UA and ask them, multiple phone agents will tell you the first international leg has to be on UA to plate a ticket on UA. I'm not saying phone agents are always, or even often, correct; I'm just relaying what I have been told multiple times.

Those of us who used to be travel agents also recall this as the UA (and many other legacy carriers') policy on plating int'l tickets. Again, this doesn't say it has to be "true." It's a statement of experience. But I bet if you walk into a random travel agency today and ask for an all *A ticket, or any int'l ticket that has UA only on a tail end domestic segment (as per OP's suggestion), they will tell you that they can only plate on UA if the first overwater segment is on UA. OP appears to be reporting a way to exploit google flights and united.com to do something, regardless of "policy," which is fine with me. Good for him!

The example you give doesn't test this theory about intended corporate policy, but rather shows that united.com can sometimes write such a ticket, even if that is not what company policy intended.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 5:02 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Starman
If you call UA and ask them, multiple phone agents will tell you the first international leg has to be on UA to plate a ticket on UA. I'm not saying phone agents are always, or even often, correct; I'm just relaying what I have been told multiple times.

Those of us who used to be travel agents also recall this as the UA (and many other legacy carriers') policy on plating int'l tickets. Again, this doesn't say it has to be "true." It's a statement of experience. But I bet if you walk into a random travel agency today and ask for an all *A ticket, or any int'l ticket that has UA only on a tail end domestic segment (as per OP's suggestion), they will tell you that they can only plate on UA if the first overwater segment is on UA. OP appears to be reporting a way to exploit google flights and united.com to do something, regardless of "policy," which is fine with me. Good for him!

The example you give doesn't test this theory about intended corporate policy, but rather shows that united.com can sometimes write such a ticket, even if that is not what company policy intended.
UA's policy for phone agents and UA's policy for website are two different beasts. UA.com will issue any ticket containing a UA segment, in addition to some *A partner tickets without a UA segment.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've had no problem buying LH only flights on a UA ticket.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by TomMM
I've had no problem buying LH only flights on a UA ticket.
Did at least one of those LH flights have a UA flight number associated with it? I suspect s...
Old Dec 6, 2016, 8:14 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Did at least one of those LH flights have a UA flight number associated with it? I suspect s...
.com will sell intra-Europe LH flights under the native flight number. Just go search MUC-FCO, to give but one example.

There are many instances in which UA will sell partner flights with no UA segment or codeshare on the itinerary. Though typically not if UA offers an alternative on its own metal.

Last edited by Kacee; Dec 6, 2016 at 8:24 pm
Old Dec 7, 2016, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Yes but then I call in and have the flight # changed so I can apply a GPU.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K
Is the any way to book LOT on 016 stock? I'm flying to Budapest for a conference in April and they have the cheapest tickets, but I'd really hate to give up on PQDs.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by segiddins
Is the any way to book LOT on 016 stock? I'm flying to Budapest for a conference in April and they have the cheapest tickets, but I'd really hate to give up on PQDs.
Yes, by calling United and asking to be ticketed on the specific flights. There is no guarantee, however, that the low fare you are seeing may be plated on 016 - this process may generate a higher price.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by segiddins
I don't believe UA can ticket that fare. Same with the cheap SK fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.