Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will UA issue ticket (016 ticket) w/ partner airline only, no UA/UX flight on itin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will UA issue ticket (016 ticket) w/ partner airline only, no UA/UX flight on itin?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2016, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
A little off-topic, but I had an 016 for SA which they reissued at the airport on their own stock when I checked in. Since I made 1K, the PQD aren't that important to me, but it's an interesting data point.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Ronlap
A little off-topic, but I had an 016 for SA which they reissued at the airport on their own stock when I checked in. Since I made 1K, the PQD aren't that important to me, but it's an interesting data point.
Did you trigger the reissue with some change request, or did they do it unsolicited??
Old Oct 3, 2016, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Starman
Did you trigger the reissue with some change request, or did they do it unsolicited??
I paid a $6 equivalent seat selection fee for an aisle seat towards the front of Economy.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Ronlap
I paid a $6 equivalent seat selection fee for an aisle seat towards the front of Economy.
Are you sure that's a reissue and not just separate issuance of an Electronic Miscellaneous Document or EMD to record your payment of that fee?
Old Oct 3, 2016, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by sannmann
Are you sure that's a reissue and not just separate issuance of an Electronic Miscellaneous Document or EMD to record your payment of that fee?
According to MP, the two SA segments (of 6 total segments) are ineligible for MP PQD because the ticket wasn't on 016. I need to put in a request to the MP desk since my original receipt shows the entire itinerary on 016.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Unable to book 016 ticket without a United segment?

Booked Fra-Waw last night and saw it didn't ticket this morning.

On with 1K line, and the agent is claiming that you must have one UA segment in order to ticket. Does that seem right? I've recently booked multiple UA tickets with just LH segments. She's claiming I got lucky the past 8 or so tickets.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 2:49 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Reservations system was changed on 10/6. There seem to have been a lot of under-the-hood changes that came with no warning or explanation (and remain undocumented). It's possible this was one of them.

However, there have also been reports of temporary fluctuations that went back to the way they were (e.g., Chase cardholders losing access to XN award availability)... and, to nobody's surprise, of phone agents insisting that whatever the current behavior of the computer is, it represents the way Things Have Always Been and/or Things Are Supposed to Be.

So, basically, YMMV.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
In theory, you are correct. UA may ticket any carrier with which it interlines. But, it will not as a general matter do this unless the originating segment or at least what amounts to the first most significant segment is operated by or a UA codeshare.

TA's are free to do whatever they want.

You have indeed been lucky and your account may well have been flagged.

The reason? There is nothing in it but heartache for UA.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Often1
In theory, you are correct. UA may ticket any carrier with which it interlines. But, it will not as a general matter do this unless the originating segment or at least what amounts to the first most significant segment is operated by or a UA codeshare.

TA's are free to do whatever they want.

I don't get it. The United site happily offers to sell me LHR-IST round trips (nonstop operated by TK or one-stop operated by LH) and I have booked plenty of them in the past. No one has ever complained.

In fact the United site is pretty generous about this (and I hope they stay that way). There are some weird corner cases where certain carriers don't reliably ticket, and normally I just give up on UA and book with the OAL instead (although with 016-based RDM earnings, it's a little tricky - UA wants to be the plating carrier as much as they can!).

Now in fairness I definitely would not expect phone reservations agents who primarily assist with US domestic tickets to understand this angle of UA sales. Generally when I encounter an agent who doesn't understand part of UA's business I thank them, politely disengage, and call again later. But this is definitely something they've been doing for years. I would raise a big skeptical eyebrow at

Wat?
Old Oct 7, 2016, 2:56 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K

WOW. This is unbelievable.

I've been doing this for at least 3 years. I still have trouble believing ua wouldn't want my money.

The search only gave me ~20 options of what to buy!
Old Oct 7, 2016, 3:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
That is simply not true. UA offers thousands of flights for sale which involve no UA segment. Go search .com for BOG-CTG or BKK-HKT for just two examples (both of which I've purchased).

When I recently purchased a C from UA on BKK-HKT, it cost about $19 more than if I had bought from TG. So this is not a charitable endeavor by UA.

And that's just nonsense.

Last edited by Kacee; Oct 7, 2016 at 3:19 pm
Old Oct 7, 2016, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Just because you can do something doesn't make it "right."

From the Booking & Ticketing Policy:

any ticket validated on United must contain at least one United flight segment.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 4:17 pm
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Originally Posted by sexykitten7

I've booked gazillions (rough estimate) of intra-Europe LH segments (on LH flight #'s) on UA.com, going back years and years (and as recently as 3 weeks ago). Seems that they could easily filter these from sale if they wanted to.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 4:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by glx
I've booked gazillions (rough estimate) of intra-Europe LH segments (on LH flight #'s) on UA.com, going back years and years (and as recently as 3 weeks ago). Seems that they could easily filter these from sale if they wanted to.
In fact UA encourages this with its PQD requirements and revenue based accruals for tickets on 016 stock.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
If UA is going to get rid of this feature of its website, then its going to have to award PQDs on non-016 tickets, ala Delta.

Originally Posted by sexykitten7

Booking and Ticketing Policy only applies to third party TA, who can get fined for plating violations by the airline.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 7, 2016 at 5:04 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.