Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will UA issue ticket (016 ticket) w/ partner airline only, no UA/UX flight on itin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will UA issue ticket (016 ticket) w/ partner airline only, no UA/UX flight on itin?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2015, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Can we re-invigorate this thread now that PQDs are about to come into effect?

I'd like to book a SQ flight coming up (SQ-SQ-UA). Even segment by segment the SQ flights don't show up on UA.com. I book through AMEX, can I call them and have them book on 016 stock and will I then earn the 8x price as a PremG?
Old Feb 1, 2015, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by keloutwest

I'd like to book a SQ flight coming up (SQ-SQ-UA). Even segment by segment the SQ flights don't show up on UA.com. I book through AMEX, can I call them and have them book on 016 stock and will I then earn the 8x price as a PremG?
yes, as long as there is 1 UA-coded segment then Amex can put this on a 016 ticket, not an issues ... have done this a few times last year.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 8:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
... now that PQDs are about to come into effect?
Did you miss all of the past year?
Old Feb 1, 2015, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
... now that PQDs are about to come into effect?
Did you miss all of the past year?
Sorry, I meant the miles/$ change, not PQDs.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 1, 2015 at 11:05 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Feb 2, 2015, 7:02 pm

I tried to book through my travel agent today and they say they can't put it on UA stock because the overwater portion is operated by SQ and there is no codeshare on that route. This 1-way itin does have the ending segment as a UA operated domestic segment. Any ideas on what to do here?

Edit: I MUST use my corporate booking agent so please don't contact me to offer your agency's services
Old Feb 6, 2015, 4:04 am

Programs: 1K
I called the 1K desk to try to make a booking through United from BKK<>BOM on AI. The agent referred me back to ua.com or ai.com.

Do I try to call back and get another agent who will try it?
Old Feb 6, 2015, 5:31 am

Programs: UA 1K
I recently tried to book a domestic flight within India on AI by calling the premier (1K?) line. The agent actually put the AI-only itinerary together, but it failed to price with the error "No valid fare". I checked EF and indeed found that even the Y fare for my city pair included a plating restriction (AI only), so I had no choice but to book directly with AI. Check fare rules on EF or ITA to see if you're having the same issue.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
Quote:

yes, as long as there is 1 UA-coded segment then Amex can put this on a 016 ticket, not an issues ... have done this a few times last year.
I believe this is incorrect. I'm certainly no expert in TA protocol/rules, but I thought in another thread someone had posted about this. Not sure what it was exactly, but vaguely recall something about the first overwater segment carrier (codeshare or operating carrier) was the one that needs to be used for ticketing. I think it might be IATA (or maybe travel agency association) rules.

I also believe that UA (and other carriers) doesn't allow TAs to use their stock unless it follows this or possibly certain other rules, and has this in the agreements they have with agencies. They can fine agencies for breaking these agreements (I.e. - booking completely non-UA itineraries on UA stock).

I'm sure there's others in here that have more experience with this that can provide the exact info. But also UA wouldn't be subject to these rules as they are not a TA. They could book it if they chose to - whether they will is a different story.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Quote:

Originally Posted by cfischer

Quote:

I believe this is incorrect. I'm certainly no expert in TA protocol/rules, but I thought in another thread someone had posted about this. Not sure what it was exactly, but vaguely recall something about the first overwater segment carrier (codeshare or operating carrier) was the one that needs to be used for ticketing. I think it might be IATA (or maybe travel agency association) rules.

I also believe that UA (and other carriers) doesn't allow TAs to use their stock unless it follows this or possibly certain other rules, and has this in the agreements they have with agencies. They can fine agencies for breaking these agreements (I.e. - booking completely non-UA itineraries on UA stock).

I'm sure there's others in here that have more experience with this that can provide the exact info. But also UA wouldn't be subject to these rules as they are not a TA. They could book it if they chose to - whether they will is a different story.
Correct I tried everything and eventually had to either fly NZ or SQ and book on their ticket stock. I'm very annoyed because on a $5000 ticket I'm losing about 30,000 miles by not booking on 016.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Not sure what it was exactly, but vaguely recall something about the first overwater segment carrier (codeshare or operating carrier) was the one that needs to be used for ticketing.
Experience tells me this isn't true; last year I flew LAN-ORD-ICN-BKK on UA-OZ-OZ (coded as UA-OZ-OZ) and on a 016 ticket through United.com. You can also search for an award ticket on united.com and they often then give you a cash purchase option even when no flights are operated by UA.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Experience tells me this isn't true; last year I flew LAN-ORD-ICN-BKK on UA-OZ-OZ (coded as UA-OZ-OZ) and on a 016 ticket through United.com. You can also search for an award ticket on united.com and they often then give you a cash purchase option even when no flights are operated by UA.
I believe this is a rule for travel agencies. As I mentioned later in my post, UA is not a travel agency, and tickets differently as a carrier (they can only ticket 016). At least as far as I'm aware.

I'm happy to be told I'm wrong if that is indeed the case.

I know there are a few folks who have posted on the board at least occasionally, if not more, who are actual TAs who know more. Hopefully they can come and share.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 5:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Correct I tried everything and eventually had to either fly NZ or SQ and book on their ticket stock. I'm very annoyed because on a $5000 ticket I'm losing about 30,000 miles by not booking on 016.
You also didn't get PQDs, right?

I've been looking at those NZ flights to AKL. They do appear as UA codeshares but if you booked them from UA, they're like twice as expensive as booking directly from NZ.

Not getting PQDs is as big a deal as the fewer miles.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
Quote:

You also didn't get PQDs, right?

I've been looking at those NZ flights to AKL. They do appear as UA codeshares but if you booked them from UA, they're like twice as expensive as booking directly from NZ.

Not getting PQDs is as big a deal as the fewer miles.
No PQDs and UA only codeshares on that route in Y, not J. UA was unable to book my SQ route. Wanted $15000 for a 1-way in F when SQ sold the same in A class for $6000.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 3:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Most SQ fare rules (or at least the reasonably priced ones) seem to have a clause that says it has to be ticketed on SQ or MI. Presumably that is why plating on 016 is so much more expensive?

Presumably there is no way around this then?

Does anyone know where to find the SQ fares that do not require ticketing on SQ/MI?
Old Mar 13, 2015, 8:45 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Just booked a flight for August on .bomb from MAN to VCE on LH. I checked the cost on other sites and decided to see what .bomb would do.... Surprisingly it pulled up the exact LH flights I wanted (via FRA) and allowed me to purchase for the same price as Expedia / Kayak and then issues me ticket on 016 stock. In the past I thought the only way to do this was via award booking - I guess .bomb is getting a little .better!
FYI - Just booked a one-way leg on Croatia Airlines from CDG to ZAG and did the search by price (not the award booking trick) and it pulls up all sorts of *A carriers with their native flight numbers. Very pleased that I can use .bomb to book and get it on a 016 ticket at the right price. Even though the ticket only cost $169 it's nice to have it all in one place - with my other UA/LH flights on .bomb

A nice "upgrade" if you ask me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.