Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will UA issue ticket (016 ticket) w/ partner airline only, no UA/UX flight on itin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will UA issue ticket (016 ticket) w/ partner airline only, no UA/UX flight on itin?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2013, 5:06 am

SQ flights on UA 016

I've been seeing if I can book an SQ001 SFO->HKG flight on SQ metal using the united.com search, but nothing appears to come up. Is there any way to force this to come up, or is a phone call to book required? Thanks.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 6:35 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I hope if they're going to inflict this rule on us they'll make it easier to book other *A carriers online.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 8:05 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Interesting thread. Does it matter if a UA code share exists for the same flight you want to book? If it exists, are agents 'forced' to book the UA code share, as the fare is often higher?
Old Jul 30, 2013, 9:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by pnoobus
I've been seeing if I can book an SQ001 SFO->HKG flight on SQ metal using the united.com search, but nothing appears to come up. Is there any way to force this to come up, or is a phone call to book required? Thanks.
Phone call.
Originally Posted by waxearwings
Interesting thread. Does it matter if a UA code share exists for the same flight you want to book? If it exists, are agents 'forced' to book the UA code share, as the fare is often higher?
They are not forced to do one or the other.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; former GS
Booking When Website Doesn't Show *A Flights

I have a trip to Dubai and then to Seoul coming up. I'm trying to book flights ORD-DXB then DXB-ICN then ICN-ORD. United.bomb will not show any flights from Dubai to Seoul even though SQ and CA fly there in one stop.

Is there a way to book it online? Will calling be more successful?

Thanks
Old Oct 12, 2013, 2:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FC ORD
... Is there a way to book it online? Will calling be more successful? ....
Try multi-destination taking in account the stop.

Calling should work fine.

Does this need to be on a 016 ticket for PQDs?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...itinerary.html
Old Oct 12, 2013, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
My TA issues all *A tickets on 016 since I asked
Old Oct 12, 2013, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
United.bomb will not show any flights from Dubai to Seoul even though SQ and CA fly there in one stop.
TG too.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 12:40 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Can only book *A codeshares on UA.com?

Back in the day, on the "old" UA website, you could book a paid (not award) itin on ua.com with little effort. The only "trick" was that you might have had to use the price-by-schedule option.

Today? I can't get UA to allow me to book anything that's not a code share. Why does this matter? Because I'm trying to match up an award itin to a paid one, and there's a lot of ways to get SFO-BKK via saver awards (in Y, C & F) that simply cannot be booked as a paid ticket.

Is this just the website or is it a formal change, such that you can't call in and get an agent to book it either?

Thanks-
Old Oct 14, 2013, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Back in the day, on the "old" UA website, you could book a paid (not award) itin on ua.com with little effort. The only "trick" was that you might have had to use the price-by-schedule option.

Today? I can't get UA to allow me to book anything that's not a code share. Why does this matter? Because I'm trying to match up an award itin to a paid one, and there's a lot of ways to get SFO-BKK via saver awards (in Y, C & F) that simply cannot be booked as a paid ticket.

Is this just the website or is it a formal change, such that you can't call in and get an agent to book it either?

Thanks-
It will pretty much only bring up codeshare options if UA codeshares on the flight. i.e. you won't be able to book the ANA ORD-NRT segment as NH-marketed using the UA website on a revenue ticket. It will only bring up the codeshare. At least IME. Where it will bring up non-codeshare options is on non-partner carriers. For example, when I was looking at flying to DPS, it brought up an itinerary to HKG on UA metal, then onward on a CX flight.

There are a couple of potential ways it might be able to be done using UA. Best way to match up your flights is to use the multi-city option, specifying the connection cities. For example, if you are looking to go SFO-PVG-BKK, try a multi-city search for SFO-PVG, then PVG-BKK. You'll still likely get codeshares, but if the point is to get on the same flights as your companion, it shouldn't really matter who is marketing the flight - you all board and sit on the same plane.

One potential way around the codeshare altogether using the web site is to search for the itinerary as an award. Before you pay, there is almost always an option to purchase the ticket for $XXX. Obviously, the award availability has to be there for this option, and if on non-UA metal flights, the equivalent of saver. While I've clicked on this option before to see, I've never actually tried to go through with the purchase, so YMMV. Also, may not really book into the lowest fare class available if price is important. This option will even be there for flights that don't touch the US (i.e. BOM-BKK, for example). Again, not sure if the system will actually allow the purchase.

Third option, if you really want to book through UA, is to call and see if they can do it on the phone, though of course, you'll have to pay the phone booking fee. Last option that I can think of is to just use a TA, even an OTA should work. They should be able to do easily book whatever you want.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:16 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by emcampbe
It will pretty much only bring up codeshare options if UA codeshares on the flight. i.e. you won't be able to book the ANA ORD-NRT segment as NH-marketed using the UA website on a revenue ticket. It will only bring up the codeshare. At least IME. Where it will bring up non-codeshare options is on non-partner carriers. For example, when I was looking at flying to DPS, it brought up an itinerary to HKG on UA metal, then onward on a CX flight.

There are a couple of potential ways it might be able to be done using UA. Best way to match up your flights is to use the multi-city option, specifying the connection cities. For example, if you are looking to go SFO-PVG-BKK, try a multi-city search for SFO-PVG, then PVG-BKK. You'll still likely get codeshares, but if the point is to get on the same flights as your companion, it shouldn't really matter who is marketing the flight - you all board and sit on the same plane.

One potential way around the codeshare altogether using the web site is to search for the itinerary as an award. Before you pay, there is almost always an option to purchase the ticket for $XXX. Obviously, the award availability has to be there for this option, and if on non-UA metal flights, the equivalent of saver. While I've clicked on this option before to see, I've never actually tried to go through with the purchase, so YMMV. Also, may not really book into the lowest fare class available if price is important. This option will even be there for flights that don't touch the US (i.e. BOM-BKK, for example). Again, not sure if the system will actually allow the purchase.

Third option, if you really want to book through UA, is to call and see if they can do it on the phone, though of course, you'll have to pay the phone booking fee. Last option that I can think of is to just use a TA, even an OTA should work. They should be able to do easily book whatever you want.
We're on the same page.

The multi-city option isn't working for non-codeshares anymore though, or at least not in most cases. It shows nothing at all for NRT-BKK for example, except UA's own flight. Nothing. An award search turns up a ton of saver fare options using *A carriers.

And in those few instances where you go through the booking steps on an award ticket on *A carriers and it gives you an option to purchase, the fare basis for the *A carrier (on a non-codeshare flight) is in Y, even when less-expensive buckets are available.

No phone or booking fare, since I'm Plat. For now.

Very frustrating to say the least.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:27 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Some related issues / observations discussed in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...itinerary.html
Old Oct 14, 2013, 12:50 pm

I have a trip to Dubai and then to Seoul coming up. I'm trying to book flights ORD-DXB then DXB-ICN then ICN-ORD. United.bomb will not show any flights from Dubai to Seoul even though SQ and CA fly there in one stop.

Is there a way to book it online? Will calling be more successful?

Thanks
So it's not just me!!!

Sometimes you can go through the initial process of booking an Award ticket and have the missing carrier show up there... then it may give you the option of purchasing the ticket instead. Trouble is, the purchased ticket is often sky-high because it defaults to booking the non-UA segment in Y (if it's not a code-share flight). This is really causing me grief trying to book an award ticket for my wife and a paid ticket for myself, because there's no award availability (at saver rates) for 100% UA itin, and the non-UA segments showing up for awards cannot be booked as paid flights (on UA's website).
Old Oct 14, 2013, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Some related issues / observations discussed in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...itinerary.html
Thank you, that thread did evolve into discussing my issue.

So question for you- did you find that thread because you remembered it, or did a search? I tried a search and couldn't come up with anything. And again, thank you for pointing me in the direction of that thread!
Old Oct 14, 2013, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
So question for you- did you find that thread because you remembered it, ...
remembered it and remembered seeing it linked in the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ification.html wiki. Did not search.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.