Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will UA issue ticket (016 ticket) w/ partner airline only, no UA/UX flight on itin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will UA issue ticket (016 ticket) w/ partner airline only, no UA/UX flight on itin?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2014, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Has anyone had success lately in booking a non-UA *A itinerary on 016 stock? I'm looking to book a short one-way in Asia later this spring. United does not operate on that route; however, one of its *A partners does.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 3:32 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sannmann
Has anyone had success lately in booking a non-UA *A itinerary on 016 stock? I'm looking to book a short one-way in Asia later this spring. United does not operate on that route; however, one of its *A partners does.
I have booked DUS-IST-DUS on TK (with TK flight numbers, no codeshare) using United.com. I also booked an RT with ORD-DUS (LH metal, UA codeshare) ,DUS-LHR (LH flight) on LH and BHX-ZRH (LX flight), ZRH-ORD (UA codeshare on LX metal) via United.com with no issues or price increase vs. booking directly through the operating carrier.

Both tickets had no UA-operated segments and were ticketed on 016 stock. I've noticed that some low fare classes (particularly LH K) are not available on UA codeshares, but I avoid them anyway as they don't accrue mileage. The TK itinerary posted with PQD automatically. LH-operated flights I've had to request manually so far this year.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by sannmann
YES!!! Up thread I reported no problem buying SQ one way tickets on UA stock. However, this was done by my Dubai TA but it took him time to do.

---After reading other posts, I think he may have been breaking the rules & could be charged for it. I am using these tickets but I don't want the guy to lose $$ w me so I won't buy any others till I see if he gets charged back.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 12:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Tried to book a two segment itinerary today (first segment on AA, second segment on UA).

Tried it first on the phone with UA,
and then directly online with AA.

UA's price was higher than AA's, so I just had to book with AA.

Not sure what was going on here. Before the merger UA would be able to get the lowest fare possible. Everytime I've tried this since the merger UA has always come up with a higher fare.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: ex 1K-lite, now struggling to stay Silver. 30k more til Million Miles.
UA just told me that they will not book single segments on USAir as a stand-alone ticket. They will book the US air segment as part of a bigger ticket, which must contain UA flight(s).
Old Feb 22, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: free agent
016 ticket with *A partners advices/wiki

Hi,

I recently called UA to give me price on one way fare SIN-DPS, and I see $400ish on most 3rd party websites but UA agent gave me $900 for same flight. What are my options other than purchase fare via award ticket booking or UA agents? Should i go with old school method by going to travel agency office somewhere in DC and ask agent to ticket it on 016 stock?

A wiki for 016 ticket game will be excellent, since I am sure there are others that might face similar issues.

Thanks!
Old Feb 22, 2014, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Putt86
Hi,

I recently called UA to give me price on one way fare SIN-DPS, and I see $400ish on most 3rd party websites but UA agent gave me $900 for same flight. What are my options other than purchase fare via award ticket booking or UA agents? Should i go with old school method by going to travel agency office somewhere in DC and ask agent to ticket it on 016 stock?

A wiki for 016 ticket game will be excellent, since I am sure there are others that might face similar issues.

Thanks!
Might I suggest to the mods that this post be merged with this one? Link: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l#post22397156

I had the same issue. Trying to book a one-way on CA this May on 016 stock. Kayak and Expedia are showing the flight at $215 (on CA stock); United wants to sell it to me for $580.. Rather frustrating. Tried calling on the phone; a helpful and apologetic agent was not able to offer me the $215 price nor was United's Star Alliance Desk able to either.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, Emerald Executive, SPG Gold
There are fares whose rules restrict what ticket stock tickets can be issued on with that fare. Have you looked at the fare rules for the fare you are trying to get UA to sell you?

For instance, the fare rules for fare JTA on SQ say:
Sales Restrictions
TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON/AFTER 01OCT 12. FROM/TO NYC FOR JTA TYPE FARES TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON SQ OR MI AND MAY ONLY BE SOLD IN AREA 1 EXTENSION OF TICKET VALIDITY IS NOT PERMITTED. OR - TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON SQ OR HR AND MAY ONLY BE SOLD IN COLOMBIA/COSTA RICA/MEXICO/PANAMA/VENEZUELA EXTENSION OF TICKET VALIDITY IS NOT PERMITTED. *** GENERAL RULE FOLLOWS *** NOTE - EXTENSION OF TICKET VALIDITY PERMITTED UNDER GUIDELINES SET FORTH BY CARRIER. CONTACT CARRIER FOR DETAILS.
UA would not be able to issue you a ticket for this fare on UA stock, and would be forced to sell you a more expensive fare if you want UA stock.

Last edited by tlawrence85; Feb 22, 2014 at 9:31 pm
Old Feb 23, 2014, 8:37 am

I admit that I didn't look at any fare rules and just simply gave United a call but look like I'm not alone on this issue since others indicate that they receive much higher fares from United on same *A flight.

anyone went to travel agency office and purchase 016 stock on *A flights recently? Any tips would be much appreciated!
Old Feb 23, 2014, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Putt86
anyone went to travel agency office and purchase 016 stock on *A flights recently? Any tips would be much appreciated!
Neither TA nor UA is the key here. It's the fare rule restricting the ticket stock. If a particular fare rule restrict its ticketing stock via lines like "TICKET MUST BE ISSUED ON CA/999 IN CHINA" then you have no way to get this on a 016 ticket with this fare. Generally Y fares are very flexible in terms of ticketing stock, but discounted fares are sometimes very strict on that. If a particular fare rule permits ticketing on UA/016, UA customer service will be able to ticket it with that fare just like an TA.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Ticket stock restrictions are comparatively rare. my guess is that he issue is a point of sale restriction. Try calling UAs office in the country where fly flight departs (ie, for PEK-TPE, call UAs China or Taiwan office).
Old Feb 23, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Are AC and UA joint venture partners? I was looking to purchase YYZ-LGA for 4/27 and if I do a price search online, I get UA codeshare options (operated by AC) that are priced more then if I purchased directly from AC. Conversely, if I do an award search, find the same AC flight I want on UA.com, and then click that link in the checkout flow to pay with $ versus miles, it reverts the flight to the AC flight number (not UA codeshare) and gives me the same price as what AC is selling it for. While not deceptive because UA can price their codeshare flights however they want, it is a bit sneaky.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 10:17 am

My takeaway - if we really want to fly with *A with PQD in our mind, it looks like we have to expect to fork out more $ on same flights more than those fares from 3rd party websites or *A partner

I travel on my dime, so I am not going to lay and bow to those wolves in Willis Tower by throw $10K away to reach 1K status. Gold is good enough and save $ for fun stuffs during vacations
Old Mar 5, 2014, 6:31 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, United 1K,
Can I book an Air Canada flight on United stock? I'm going from EWR-YYZ-SCL-YYZ-EWR, so there is a United codeshare leg. It can't get it to come up on the website.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 11:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Just tried to book an AC codeshare operated by OS over the water: no dice. The agent said the computer didn't show the segment as an option and he said his support agent said it wasn't possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.