Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any Drawbacks from having MP account registered to foreign address?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Any Drawbacks from having MP account registered to foreign address?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:41 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by alex_b
When I was UK resident both pmUA and pmCO both managed to get membership cards to my home address without too much delay. Can't see why that would change.
Sorry for the confusion - I do understand that most people in the world have access to mail. I made the comment about not getting mail because I live an hour outside a major city in Colombia, and we don't have a post office or letter carriers like I am used to in the USA.

We do have a couple of good private UPS-like companies that serve our town well and we get packages all of the time. However, our utility bills are hand delivered, and I have never seen a piece of regular mail at my house or any relatives' houses, so I assumed no mail service for me.

That said, I asked my wife if we have mail service for regular letters. Her first response was an indignant, "Do you think we live in the jungle?" She then explained that any regular mail would be delivered by one of the private companies mentioned above. I am still skeptical, but I guess I will find out in January.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1K
When I was UK resident both pmUA and pmCO both managed to get membership cards to my home address without too much delay. Can't see why that would change.
Yeah, delivery times to the UK are not too bad, with n=1. I phoned UA on 30 May to get a replacement MileagePlus card (the expiration date had worn off, and LH can be sticklers…).

The replacement arrived to my flat via airmail from Frankfurt on Saturday 29 June.

Not too bad!
Old Jul 2, 2013, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by TomA
LOL... UA will NEVER ask to see your tax returns. The idea is ridiculous.
And I would pray to the heavens that nobody would be stupid enough to agree to such an invasion of privacy.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by fjfv19
And I would pray to the heavens that nobody would be stupid enough to agree to such an invasion of privacy.
^

Hence my later comment about such people most likely being institutionalized.

(But I do hope they would call me about a bridge I have for sale in New York...)
Old Jul 3, 2013, 4:32 pm

I need some input:

I am a permanent alien resident of US that has a foreign address. Should I change my address? Because my foreign address is legitimate, my only concern is the address not matching up with my Chase Explorer (Chase address is in US).

I have to choose whether to change to my old foreign address or manufacture 25 on my Chase card.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by scratchphysics
I am a permanent alien resident of US that has a foreign address. Should I change my address? Because my foreign address is legitimate, my only concern is the address not matching up with my Chase Explorer (Chase address is in US).
My guess would be that if you fly a lot on UA and never fly to or from or within the country you claim to reside in, they might get suspicious.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 3, 2013 at 5:43 pm Reason: moved from other thread
Old Jul 3, 2013, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
As was mentioned, it's not a foreign address per se but rather an address in an area where mail delivery is either untrustworthy or non-existent.

I've no problem changing my address wholesale as I kept my US address solely for ease these last few years. Dollars to donuts the change would result in me never seeing my status card or drink chits... the latter of which I seem to need TPAC these days.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by scratchphysics
...my only concern is the address not matching up with my Chase Explorer (Chase address is in US).
Chase and UA don't (from anything I've ever seen) compare addresses. How many people use Chase cards with addresses that are not on their UAMP accounts? The answer is the same with business cards that generally have different addresses. This really is a nn issue. I have US and non-US cards. I'll almost certainly be moving to one of my non-US addresses.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 6:14 am

Programs: UA 1k MM;*A Lifetime Gold; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; HiltonHonors Gold. Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
My guess would be that if you fly a lot on UA and never fly to or from or within the country you claim to reside in, they might get suspicious.

And who says that flying to and fom the other country has to be on United? Surely they do not have access to other airline's passenger manifests?
Old Jul 9, 2013, 7:25 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
And with regards to "within" for some Asian countries the excuse could easily be that you never fly any RDM/PQM-earning fares within that country.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 11:26 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Brituchenite
And who says that flying to and fom the other country has to be on United? Surely they do not have access to other airline's passenger manifests?
Exactly, and UA doesn't even fly anywhere close to my foreign domicile.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM;*A Lifetime Gold; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; HiltonHonors Gold. Hyatt Globalist
So, my question is, should I change my mailing address now? Or wait until after I have received my 1KMM card in February/March next year? I currently have my USA address listed as the primary address, with my UK address in second position.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
So, my question is, should I change my mailing address now? Or wait until after I have received my 1KMM card in February/March next year? I currently have my USA address listed as the primary address, with my UK address in second position.
To each his own. I think waiting until sometime next year draws extra scrutiny - but everyone needs their physical card for *A lounges.

If you have a real UK address, and can get your mail, change it now.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya
To each his own. I think waiting until sometime next year draws extra scrutiny - but everyone needs their physical card for *A lounges.

If you have a real UK address, and can get your mail, change it now.

I do indeed have a real, genuine, bona-fide UK address - a house that I own - and I can get my mail forwarded from it if necessary. I am a dual citizen of the UK and USA. My daughter attends University in the UK; the rest of my family live in the UK; I travel to the UK several times a year.

I think I can be considered real......
Old Jul 9, 2013, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I do indeed have a real, genuine, bona-fide UK address - a house that I own - and I can get my mail forwarded from it if necessary. I am a dual citizen of the UK and USA. My daughter attends University in the UK; the rest of my family live in the UK; I travel to the UK several times a year.

I think I can be considered real......
I was waiting for you to point out that it's even in yur FT handle!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.