Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any Drawbacks from having MP account registered to foreign address?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Any Drawbacks from having MP account registered to foreign address?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2013, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Brituchenite
I do indeed have a real, genuine, bona-fide UK address - a house that I own - and I can get my mail forwarded from it if necessary. I am a dual citizen of the UK and USA. My daughter attends University in the UK; the rest of my family live in the UK; I travel to the UK several times a year.

I think I can be considered real......
I wasn't at all questioning your UK-ness. Just stating a fact. If it is real, then switch over now.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 4:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
And who says that flying to and fom the other country has to be on United? Surely they do not have access to other airline's passenger manifests?
Good point. But I'm only saying "suspicious". They could use this as a filter to ask some more questions.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 5:05 pm

Would anyone know if there is a cut off date to change address or can i change it mid year and roll into a non spending requirement regime? Looks like i head to London in March. Will i have too wait till the next cycle (2015) in order to get the non spending relief?
Old Jul 9, 2013, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
Good point. But I'm only saying "suspicious". They could use this as a filter to ask some more questions.
Like, What is your favorite color? What is your quest? What is the airspeed of a unladen swallow?
Old Jul 9, 2013, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM;*A Lifetime Gold; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; HiltonHonors Gold. Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Like, What is your favorite color? What is your quest? What is the airspeed of a unladen swallow?
ROFL.....^
Old Jul 9, 2013, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM;*A Lifetime Gold; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; HiltonHonors Gold. Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I was waiting for you to point out that it's even in yur FT handle!
Old Jul 9, 2013, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by localknowledge
Would anyone know if there is a cut off date to change address or can i change it mid year and roll into a non spending requirement regime? Looks like i head to London in March. Will i have too wait till the next cycle (2015) in order to get the non spending relief?
None of the details were announced, but I really would not worry. If I were you I'd move in March and change my address then and nt worry.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
A while back I changed my UA address from the UK to the US, in the belief I would receive better offers etc. from that address. All I ever received was endless marketing from Chase - nothing from UA in over two years. So, I've already switched back.

I think if one has a genuine foreign address, I would switch before the end of this year, just in case. That could never preclude someone from moving abroad during the year but, as the detailed rules have not been published, it's better to play safe.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 6:57 am

Programs: UA Gold (Million Miler), FI Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Years ago, and I mean like ten years ago, UK 1Ps (and probably 1Ks too) were given free RCC access for a year. Kind of a throwaway for many since you get access anyway on an intl itinerary but for those doing domestic hops within one long intl trip, it was good.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 7:48 am
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by yyzgigi
The only issue I see is if you wanted a MP credit card. These are generally limited to US residents and I am pretty sure UA and Chase would talk. If you don't have a credit card cannot see any big drawbacks.
I live in Vancouver and I have a Chase debit card as I use a US billing address for it. had talked to Chase about getting a MP credit card. He said it was possible to do this by switching addresses using my US address as my residence for credit card and my address in Canada for my debit card. I decided that I did not want to do this as that would not be correct. The other possibility was to deposit $10,000.00 in my checking account. Decided against both ideas, now I am glad I did.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:17 pm

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
DL's requirements for changing country of residence

I do indeed have a real, genuine, bona-fide UK address - a house that I own - and I can get my mail forwarded from it if necessary. I am a dual citizen of the UK and USA. My daughter attends University in the UK; the rest of my family live in the UK; I travel to the UK several times a year.

I think I can be considered real......
FWIW:

I recently changed my Delta SM address from the US to my own, very legit residence in France and discovered that the requirements after the program change are, and not limited to:

1. Government issued ID with new address (drivers license, learner’s permit, country/state-issued photo ID card)
2. Utility bill in customer’s name showing new address, dated within the past 60 days
3. Deed, mortgage, monthly mortgage statement or residential rental/lease agreement showing proof of ownership at new address, with customer’s name and signature. Lease must be dated within the past year.
4. Bank statement with customer’s name and address dated within the past 60 days (may block out sensitive information)
5. Payroll statement with customer’s name and address dated within the past 60 days (may block out sensitive information)
6. Postal Service change of address confirmation form
7. Current automobile or life insurance bill, or homeowners or renter insurance bill (cards or policies are not accepted)
8. Copy of school records/transcript from a school in which the applicant is currently enrolled, issued by an accredited school
9. Postmarked mail with forwarding address label (must display the customer’s full name)
10. Receipt for personal property taxes or real estate taxes paid within the last year
11. Letter from member’s employer, on official company letterhead, detailing member’s current address. Letter must be signed by employee’s supervisor with supervisor’s full contact information

Since UA seems to be copying everything DL throws on us, it will be very likely for them to enforce these requirements as well

BTW, I now get web fares quoted in €€€
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by Travelomania
FWIW:

I recently changed my Delta SM address from the US to my own, very legit residence in France and discovered that the requirements after the program change are, and not limited to:

1. Government issued ID with new address (drivers license, learner’s permit, country/state-issued photo ID card)
2. Utility bill in customer’s name showing new address, dated within the past 60 days
3. Deed, mortgage, monthly mortgage statement or residential rental/lease agreement showing proof of ownership at new address, with customer’s name and signature. Lease must be dated within the past year.
4. Bank statement with customer’s name and address dated within the past 60 days (may block out sensitive information)
5. Payroll statement with customer’s name and address dated within the past 60 days (may block out sensitive information)
7. Current automobile or life insurance bill, or homeowners or renter insurance bill (cards or policies are not accepted)
8. Copy of school records/transcript from a school in which the applicant is currently enrolled, issued by an accredited school
9. Postmarked mail with forwarding address label (must display the customer’s full name)
10. Receipt for personal property taxes or real estate taxes paid within the last year
11. Letter from member’s employer, on official company letterhead, detailing member’s current address. Letter must be signed by employee’s supervisor with supervisor’s full contact information

Since UA seems to be copying everything DL throws on us, it will be very likely for them to enforce these requirements as well

They want all of these, one of these, two of these, ... ?
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Travelomania
FWIW:

They required all of these or just one or two from the list? Did the requirements get sent out once you changed your address after the revenue change went into effect, or did you change it before the announcement?

I can produce some of these items without a problem, but I don't want to be sent on a treasure hunt for all 11 since a few don't apply to me.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by bocastephen
They required all of these or just one or two from the list? Did the requirements get sent out once you changed your address after the revenue change went into effect, or did you change it before the announcement?

I can produce some of these items without a problem, but I don't want to be sent on a treasure hunt for all 11 since a few don't apply to me.
In many places in SE Asia the preponderance of the list doesn't apply.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 3:31 am

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by dsquared37
In many places in SE Asia the preponderance of the list doesn't apply.
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.