Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any Drawbacks from having MP account registered to foreign address?

Old Nov 28, 2016, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Any Drawbacks from having MP account registered to foreign address?

Old Oct 5, 2013, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by gpicur
Oh wise Flyertalk Sages,

I live in Saudi Arabia, have a Permanent Saudi Residence Card and Saudi D/L, but my banking, CC's, billing addresses and UA MP Membership addresses are all in the USA. I probably spend right at about $10K per year with UA, but that includes excise taxes, security fees, etc.. SO I am a bit concerned about maintaining 1K for 2015.

Can I change my UA MP address to Saudi Arabia, furnish UA a copy of my Residence Permit and Saudi D/L, and keep my existing CC's and USA Billing Address for purposes of purchasing tickets ?

Your keen posts and insight are most greatly appreciated.
If you change it now then you don't have to prove anything. I suspect that starting in 2014 it will be hard to change from US to non-US. So I would do it now if I were you; takes 30 seconds online.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by gnaget
If you change it now then you don't have to prove anything. I suspect that starting in 2014 it will be hard to change from US to non-US. So I would do it now if I were you; takes 30 seconds online.
^ Sage advice.

In this instance, he who hesitates will almost certainly be lost without documentation...
Old Nov 1, 2013, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have lived in Bangkok, Thailand for ~ 8 years as a retired U.S. citizen.

I changed my address with UA/MP from the U.S. - relatives - to Bangkok, via regular mail, sent from Thailand to MP in the U.S.

I provided quite a bit of supporting documentation: Affidavit of Residency (this is a Notarized document you can get from the U.S Embassy - I needed it to get my Thai DL), current lease agreement - utilities are included, copy of my Thai DL (front and back, but no addresses on Thai DLs), copy of a bank statement (showing my name and address only), 2012 IRS 1040 Cover Letter, copy of my current Non-Imm B Visa.

All my UA flights are USA-BKK <spend ~ 90 days in Thailand>-USA <spend ~ 5 days in the U.S> then start a new USA-BKK-USA. UA can see I spend ~ 25 days each year in the U.S. and the rest of my time in Thailand.

I was very straight-forward in my cover letter, detailing my (non-UA) CC, mailing address in the U.S., travel patterns, my residential address and my nearby Post Office Box, which I use for mail, as residential mail delivery has proven spotty over 8 years.

I received a nice, personalized email back confirming my address change.

My spend, with UA, in 2014 is projected to be $9,000 - $11,000, with ~ 105,000 miles, so I wanted to proactively protect my 1K status were I to fall below the $10,000 spend requirement.

I haven't noticed any drawbacks so far.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by transpac

I changed my address with UA/MP from the U.S. - relatives - to Bangkok, via regular mail, sent from Thailand to MP in the U.S.

I provided quite a bit of supporting documentation: Affidavit of Residency (this is a Notarized document you can get from the U.S Embassy - I needed it to get my Thai DL), current lease agreement - utilities are included, copy of my Thai DL (front and back, but no addresses on Thai DLs), copy of a bank statement (showing my name and address only), 2012 IRS 1040 Cover Letter, copy of my current Non-Imm B Visa.

All my UA flights are USA-BKK <spend ~ 90 days in Thailand>-USA <spend ~ 5 days in the U.S> then start a new USA-BKK-USA. UA can see I spend ~ 25 days each year in the U.S. and the rest of my time in Thailand.

I was very straight-forward in my cover letter, detailing my (non-UA) CC, mailing address in the U.S., travel patterns, my residential address and my nearby Post Office Box, which I use for mail, as residential mail delivery has proven spotty over 8 years.

My spend, with UA, in 2014 is projected to be $9,000 - $11,000, with ~ 105,000 miles, so I wanted to proactively protect my 1K status were I to fall below the $10,000 spend requirement.

LOL. I went online and changed my address to Bangkok. That also works.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 10:34 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Gold
@transpac,

The evidence you provided is more than enough to convince Marcia Clark of your foreign residency status.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP

Did they ask you for this documentation or did you provide it voluntarily?
Old Nov 6, 2013, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador

This is definitely overkill.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Neil35
@transpac,

The evidence you provided is more than enough to convince Marcia Clark of your foreign residency status.
Doesn't take much to convince her and she still can't convict.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by kb1992
This is definitely overkill.
It's ridiculous to a ridiculous extreme, since you can just log in to United.com and update the address with no questions asked.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TomA
It's ridiculous to a ridiculous extreme, since you can just log in to United.com and update the address with no questions asked.
United likes to close MP accounts these days, so I'm sure they'll have a Black Ops team on the lookout for false overseas addresses
Old Nov 6, 2013, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
United likes to close MP accounts these days, so I'm sure they'll have a Black Ops team on the lookout for false overseas addresses
They'll easily be spotted trying to find consecutive building numbers on the streets of Asia and looking completely befuddled.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by dsquared37
They'll easily be spotted trying to find consecutive building numbers on the streets of Asia and looking completely befuddled.
How many MP members? 50 million?

Say 2% have foreign address.

If UA wants to verify everyone of them, that is 1 million.

They need to spend money and hire staff to do verification.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 9:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kb1992
How many MP members? 50 million?
UA has stated > population of France, so at least 65M. Elsewhere estimates have been as high as 80M.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Haha... well if even if that WAS true, THAT would be the time to provide your details.

In any event, I use my overseas office address. They can verify it if they like.

But frankly, there is absolutely nothing in the rules (that I can find) about where your address has to be meaning that even a foreign PO box is ok (as of now) so I have no idea why the above poster generated this mountain of paperwork for no reason.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 9:34 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
So I've been skimming this thread, but have yet to note any drawbacks of having a foreign-registered account except the exclusion from some promotions (from which UA seems to already deem me not worthy anyway).

Has anyone discovered any drawbacks? Maybe a wiki post with them would be useful?

Personally, I just changed my address to Canada, which is where I in fact live now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.