Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any Drawbacks from having MP account registered to foreign address?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Any Drawbacks from having MP account registered to foreign address?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2020, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Probably not, but if you think UA might do something unique for non-USA residents then may not (Wished for by others but I'm not aware of reason to think that will happen).
I'm not hopeful about this. I think UA addressed this and said they want a level playing field for everybody. What a shame...
Old Dec 6, 2020, 12:28 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by Kleinnaf
Status already showing 2022 expiry.
Any reason not to change overseas address back to US?
The more relevant question may be any reason to change overseas address back to US...
Old Dec 10, 2020, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
Originally Posted by ani90
The more relevant question may be any reason to change overseas address back to US...
To be eligible for promotions targeted to US customers, such as Mile Play
To be eligible to receive gifts targeted for US customers, such as yellow handle
To be able to apply for Chase cards and not to worry about them changing UA address to Chase billing address for you
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 12:12 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by cloudybw
To be eligible to receive gifts targeted for US customers, such as yellow handle
To be able to apply for Chase cards and not to worry about them changing UA address to Chase billing address for you
I changed my address back last year - but I seem to not get *any* e-mails *at all* now - no idea why...
Old Dec 11, 2020, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any dp of that happening?
Old Dec 14, 2020, 6:53 pm

​​​​​​The question though is whether any of these matter at this time. None of these promotions are helpful if one flies infrequently. However, as airlines are jostling for whatever limited market there is in 2021 and 2022, the overseas based customer may suddenly become important and UA may be forced to compete for passengers with the likes of BA, EK, SQ on the more lucrative routes popular with non-US residents as opposed to previously when UA cared mostly about DL and AA's competition. The tables could turn such that it is the foreign based membership that is being offered more incentive to fly UA.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by ani90
​​​​​​However, as airlines are jostling for whatever limited market there is in 2021 and 2022, the overseas based customer may suddenly become important and UA may be forced to compete for passengers with the likes of BA, EK, SQ on the more lucrative routes popular with non-US residents as opposed to previously when UA cared mostly about DL and AA's competition. The tables could turn such that it is the foreign based membership that is being offered more incentive to fly UA.
But is this the actual fact *now*??
​​​​​
Old Dec 15, 2020, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
But is this the actual fact *now*??
​​​​​
There is unfortunately no 'actual fact' now other than almost no one is flying and for those who are there isn't much value granted by MP membership in doing so. For most it really doesn't matter where your MP address is right now; indeed *now* in context of UA barely matters for most whether you are a member of MP, even if you are one of those who still fly. So for all of us the question is how will things evolve in the next year or two and we just have to hedge our bets....
Old Dec 21, 2023, 12:48 am

Is there any update as to the benefits of having a US vs foreign address on United account?
Old Dec 21, 2023, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Leopardz
Is there any update as to the benefits of having a US vs foreign address on United account?
Within the program, no. But MP has changed massively and now aims much more at US credit card spending rather than flying. And as you can technically only have one tax residence, you should really consider that when answering the questions that both UA and the cc company ask. I know most people aren’t that scrupulous but there won’t be too many circumstances where the two addresses should be different.

As a non resident, US’s program is now very weak and I would be looking elsewhere for 2024 if I weren’t Gold for life. As it is, I now only book UA if it’s significantly cheaper whereas the old program used to provide considerable incentive.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
The promo thing is real ... 'gifts'? What's that That handles are one-time "things" that are useless in the first place IMHO.

While the Chase card thing is true, this is not unique to either UA or airlines as a whole.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
The promo thing is real ... 'gifts'? What's that That handles are one-time "things" that are useless in the first place IMHO.

While the Chase card thing is true, this is not unique to either UA or airlines as a whole.
The OP never responded to my question from about three years ago. Is there any dp of that happening?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.