Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any Drawbacks from having MP account registered to foreign address?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Any Drawbacks from having MP account registered to foreign address?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2013, 1:30 am

Programs: kayaker
Originally Posted by LordTentacle
My bet would be currency conversion.....

Buy ticket in australia when $1 is worth $1 USD
Upgrade from K->W 2 months later to apply a GPU Paying change fee + fare diff when $1aus is worth $2USD
Then Take the flight 3 months after that when $1AUD is worth $.50 USD

How do you determine PQD?
I actually doubt this is the issue. I think it has far more to do with trying to target different groups.

In the US, United wants people who will spend money with them; they don't want to be giving benefits to MRers. However, they still want to woo international customers to fly with/credit to them, especially since they make money from pax on other airlines crediting to MP. The only way they can make that reasonable for those of us based outside the States (since our "domestic" travel is never on UA) is to waive the PQD requirement.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by o mikros
they don't want to be giving benefits to MRers.

However, they still want to woo international customers to fly with/credit to them, especially since they make money from pax on other airlines crediting to MP. The only way they can make that reasonable for those of us based outside the States (since our "domestic" travel is never on UA) is to waive the PQD requirement.
yay, another MR'er boogey man is responsible for the downfall of elite beneftis comment

I am going to believe for a minute, that allowing foreigners to avoid PQD is not just because Delta did the same.
UA is already a joke internationally when it comes to service and reputation. This would not sit well with any foreign elite, and with actual competition (which seems to be seriously lacking in the USA now) - they would lose quite a bit of intl pax.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 6:21 am

Programs: UA 1k MM;*A Lifetime Gold; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; HiltonHonors Gold. Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by gbryan84
You wouldn't get your membership package, which means no *G lounge access on international travel. Also, if it is returned to the sender, that might be a red flag that you don't really live there.

Very good point, gbryan84.

Fortunately, I do have a legitimate home in the UK, so mail would not be returned.

Originally Posted by txp
... by changing the definition of "US residence" from "country declared as residence on UA profile" to "country where your credit card is issued."

Actually, I hope someone at UA does read this to close the loophole before the new policy takes effect.

What about MP members who don't have credit cards? My daughters do not have credit cards, but they have MP accounts.

That definition is not feasible or appropriate.

Originally Posted by 5khours
...............My guess is that as long as you have some legitimate connection or presence (at least part time employment or residence) at a foreign address, you're fine. If you get audited, I suspect the first thing they will do is check your travel records to see how often you have been in the country in question.
And how could they do that if you don't fly on a United flight or a *A flight? What if I fly on AA or Delta to the UK? And use my UK passport to leave the US and enter the UK?

How can they check my travel records? Surely they don't have access to DHS records?

Of course, they could ask me to provide them with proof of travel via e-ticket receipts, etc. I suppose.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 20, 2013 at 8:50 am Reason: merge
Old Jun 20, 2013, 6:30 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by LordTentacle
My bet would be currency conversion.....

Buy ticket in australia when $1 is worth $1 USD
Upgrade from K->W 2 months later to apply a GPU Paying change fee + fare diff when $1aus is worth $2USD
Then Take the flight 3 months after that when $1AUD is worth $.50 USD

How do you determine PQD?
Equivalent on date of purchase/payment/charge. They know when X amount is charged to Y card and what its equivalent is in USD.

Originally Posted by Brituchenite
Very good point, gbryan84.

Fortunately, I do have a legitimate home in the UK, so mail would not be returned.
Clearly anyone who would do anything that would result in a 'return to sender' situation is foolish.

Last edited by Renard; Jun 20, 2013 at 6:42 am
Old Jun 20, 2013, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY UA*G
Thanks for all the comments. Just changed my address (much easier than I thought as I already had by Finnish address in the system and just clicked the "make primary united address" button).

I guess I'll be waiting with the rest for my audit notice.

This all brings back to mind the 7 million kids that disappeared in 1987 when the IRS required SSN's for dependents on tax returns. Wonder if this whole thing will change the foreign/domestic split of MP members...
Old Jun 20, 2013, 7:24 am

Programs: UA 1k MM;*A Lifetime Gold; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; HiltonHonors Gold. Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Renard
...........Clearly anyone who would do anything that would result in a 'return to sender' situation is foolish.

Indeed.

but we all know the world is full of fools.......

Originally Posted by jugglesfire
Thanks for all the comments. Just changed my address (much easier than I thought as I already had by Finnish address in the system and just clicked the "make primary united address" button).

I guess I'll be waiting with the rest for my audit notice.

This all brings back to mind the 7 million kids that disappeared in 1987 when the IRS required SSN's for dependents on tax returns. Wonder if this whole thing will change the foreign/domestic split of MP members...

I just checked my account and see that I have my UK address in there too.
Let us know how it goes for you. I hope you don't get an audit notice. I'm not going to change my address to Primary just yet. I want to see how things shake out.

I'm a 1MM and don't want to do anything that might mean my account is shut down. Although, in an audit, we are probably more likely to pass muster than someone who does not have a genuine home in another country. Plus, if United really wanted to, they could see that our foreign addresses were already in our account prior to the announcement of the change and we did not go in afterwards and add an overseas address just to circumvent the requirement.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 20, 2013 at 8:50 am Reason: merge
Old Jun 20, 2013, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by txp
... by changing the definition of "US residence" from "country declared as residence on UA profile" to "country where your credit card is issued."

Actually, I hope someone at UA does read this to close the loophole before the new policy takes effect.
That's easy to deal with. Bye bye credit card.

Originally Posted by Renard

Clearly anyone who would do anything that would result in a 'return to sender' situation is foolish.
This is actually my concern with my legit address. I don't even know if I can get mail delivered here!
Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:50 am

Programs: kayaker
Originally Posted by rankourabu
...UA is already a joke internationally when it comes to service and reputation. This would not sit well with any foreign elite, and with actual competition (which seems to be seriously lacking in the USA now) - they would lose quite a bit of intl pax.
Why does this matter? My point was that UA likes people flying other airlines to credit to UA. And perhaps they want to have an edge on the competition for when those foreign-based flyers are in the US.

My case, for example: expat based in Europe. I could never get the spend high enough because my "local" travel isn't on UA. However, when I go back to the US, I still have the incentive to fly UA to maintain my status. Otherwise, I would have become a kayaker, or switched to crediting to a different program altogether.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 9:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, working on OZ Diamond, previously AA EXP, UA 1K, AS MVP75
Originally Posted by BetsyF
Sorry if this query previously answered but why the waiver if you have a non-US address? Did I miss something?
Because UA wants the miles credit coming in from foreign flyers on other *A airlines.

Apparantly its a chunk of revenue too, so much that CA would manual rob you of miles even if you request miles to be credited to another FFP
Old Jun 21, 2013, 12:33 am

Programs: UA *G MM
I currently have a Japanese address and use legacy Chase Platinum card with US PO Box address and have no problem. Prices are cited in USD since it sets the billing address as US when I am logged in.

I have noticed that the website started to direct you to the local site automatically whereas in the past if you entered .com then you went to the US site. Now .com has language and location options.

p.s. How does UA benefit if I credit my miles earnings from a partner flight? The partner airline has to pay for this like a merchant offering miles for a purchase? Interesting.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by bocastephen
The only thing I'm concerned about is losing OLCI or Pre, even though my Global Entry number is in my passenger profile - which in itself can be a different address from the MP account, but if it's a Canadian address with a GE number in the known traveler field, will I really have a problem with OLCI and Pre on purely domestic US itineraries?
f course not. I see no reason to worry about that, particularly with a Canadian address.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 1:01 am

I get Pre (even got it before having GE interview). Your mileage address doesn't matter for Pre.

Why wouldn't you get OLCI?? That has nothing to do with any address.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 1:03 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, working on OZ Diamond, previously AA EXP, UA 1K, AS MVP75
Originally Posted by gnaget
I get Pre (even got it before having GE interview). Your mileage address doesn't matter for Pre.

Why wouldn't you get OLCI?? That has nothing to do with any address.
Correct, theoretically OLCI only has to do with saved passport info
Old Jun 21, 2013, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by UAConcorde
Correct, theoretically OLCI only has to do with saved passport info
I think on my last RTW it may have been a problem because I think the Lufthansa ticket somehow got Afghanistan (first in drop down menu) as my citizenship. I had SSSS on my BP too even though I have Precheck/GE and at that point had entered my US passport.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 3:12 am

Programs: UA-GS, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by UAConcorde
just
changed
my
address!

waiting for audit/closure. will report
I seriously doubt you're going to get audited. I change my address with UA at least 1-2 times a year depending where I am doing most of my work. . Last year it was the UK and the US. This year it's been Tokyo and Kuala Lumpur. I do have residences in each place and update my address change whenever I arrive. I had to call for my GS credentials this year as they'd been sent to KL and I was in Tokyo for a couple of months, then on to Europe and didn't want to trek back to KL to pick them up. I only wanted them because some of the Asian/European *A carriers get a little weird when you don't have your card with you.

It does seem very strange that the new $$ spending is for US based MP members but then again nothing that UA does any more surprises me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.