Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any Drawbacks from having MP account registered to foreign address?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Any Drawbacks from having MP account registered to foreign address?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2013, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 1k MM;*A Lifetime Gold; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; HiltonHonors Gold. Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I legitimately have UK and US citizenship, with a domestic address in both countries. I have a credit card in sterling with my UK address on it and a personal credit card in dollars with my US business address on it (but it's a personal card, not a business card in any way). To date, since the CO takeover, it has made no difference as to which card I use when. Generally, I use the US card for award bookings (because they always quote the extras in $), the UK card for revenue bookings (but sometimes the US card if it's cheaper to do so) and the US card for incidentals. It really doesn't appear to make the slightest difference.

As to the question of auditing the account, I simply don't know how they intend to establish what address should be used - are they going to have residency rules as complicated as tax authorities (who still allow many people to slip through the cracks)? I think that they will rue the day they start down that route. Anyhow, 99% of people simply can't produce a credible address in a foreign country - and I should imagine they'll leave it at that.
Do you have your UK address on the MP account, or your US address? I've always had my US address.

Last edited by Brituchenite; Jun 19, 2013 at 7:56 pm Reason: merge
Old Jun 19, 2013, 12:14 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
I also am in a situation where I spend a lot of time in the US and Europe. I use my aunt's address for credit cards and any other mail communication as I'm not here permanently. I can easily switch to my European address but that's not the point. I'm so disgusted by the changes announced, I'm not even interested in gaming the system for higher status. The worst part is I just completed a whole bunch of MRs getting me very close to Platinum (already requalified as Gold) and have 130,000 miles in my account. My sister has about 50,000 UA miles as a non-status member as well, so it will take a while to go through all of them. At least on the up side, I'll be Premier Gold until January 2015, so I have 18 months to spend them. I really though MP was the best mileage program out there and in the past 24 hours, that changed. I have disliked Delta for many years and now that United is trying to be more like them, they will be added to my No Fly list as well. What a shame it has come to this. I hope that the new AA will not make that mistake and introduce such a requirement as well (at least not yet).
Old Jun 19, 2013, 1:32 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
It is very well established that the purchase of the ticket, and the traveller identity, are completely separate. Companies often buy tickets for individuals, often individuals in a different country. Individuals often use a travel agent and UA would never see the credit card used in that case. Companies often use Travel Agents.

There has never been any concept that the same person has to buy the ticket and travel on it. I cannot see how they could implement such a thing.
+1

I don't understand why people are making the assumption that your MP mailing address has to match the credit card billing address. Think about it, folks..
Old Jun 19, 2013, 2:25 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by izzik
+1

I don't understand why people are making the assumption that your MP mailing address has to match the credit card billing address. Think about it, folks..

Of course it doesn't. The only thing I am worried about is if UA doesn't have somewhere in their T&C (the upcoming ones) that having a USA Chase MP card overrides the waived min spend.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
Originally Posted by jason8612
Of course it doesn't. The only thing I am worried about is if UA doesn't have somewhere in their T&C (the upcoming ones) that having a USA Chase MP card overrides the waived min spend.
Then cancel the Chase MP card if that troubles you. I rarely redeem award tickets on UA and don't need primary car rental insurance, so I cannot justify paying $95-$60 annual fee for that...
Old Jun 19, 2013, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
I'm dual US/Canada with addresses in both. I could legitimately lay claim to Canada. But I too am afraid of the consequences vis-a-vis Chase and whether UA could unilaterally decide based on my bookings that I'm fraudulently claiming a Canada-based account (nevermind the fact that UA doesn't serve my home airport there).

Not too concerned about promos; besides the 5K RDM from Map of Nightmares I haven't benefited from any since 3/2012.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 3:03 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by cloudybw
Then cancel the Chase MP card if that troubles you. I rarely redeem award tickets on UA and don't need primary car rental insurance, so I cannot justify paying $95-$60 annual fee for that...
Ah I got the $60 1K statement credit
I might canx them, move the credit line over to the Sapphire and just use that card.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Brituchenite
So, if we legitimately have homes in two countries and citizenship in two countries, we can technically change our MP account address to our overseas address and avoid the spend requirement?
Sure!
How would that work with the PresPlus MC? If we have that and the billing address is in the US, but our MP address is in the UK, wouldn't it kick out the charge because the addresses don't match? Would we need to change our address back to the US address, make the booking, and then change it back to the overseas address once the booking has ticketed?
The card billing address does not have to be at the same address (or in the same cuntry) as the mileage account.
I want to be able to avoid the $10k spend requirement for 1K because I fly on cheap tickets all the time, and probably would never be able to get to $10k spend.
I had different addresses for a while back when CO gave free club memberships to non-USA-based gold/platinum OnePass members. I never had any problems.

Change your address and don't look back. The only things you'll miss are targeted offers that you likely wouldn't have been targeted for anyway.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Jun 19, 2013 at 4:45 pm
Old Jun 19, 2013, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I spend most of my time in SE Asia and have a legit residence here. My main concern is the lack of reliable mail delivery.

The best option is to list my in-laws residence (where mail is actually delivered) however that would conflict with documentation should UA travel down that avenue.

Best bet is to wait and see how this all shakes out.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AA MM/Gold, Hilton Gold, Sheraton Gold
If the given is that UA won't match up a foreign MP address with a USA Chase CC address, what's to keep me or anyone from cooking up a bogus foreign address for MP to avoid the spend requirement? I say this assuming that the foreign address doesn't come into play since, other than junk mail, all MP correspondence could be done by email. Am I overlooking something?
Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:58 pm
V9

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Marriott Pltm, Hyatt Diamond, spg Pltm
1. Paying person and traveler don't have to be the same, so don't see why CC has to be related to the MP address change;
2. One can buy tickets as a guest at any of the united.com sites, so I don't see why passenger's address would matter to the ticket price. After ticketing you can add the MP number to the record.
3. Most of us travel internationally often, I do China trips 5-6 times a year. That's how we earn Premier status (until 2014). We can call either side of the ocean home, audit or not.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA and HH
Originally Posted by gonezen
If the given is that UA won't match up a foreign MP address with a USA Chase CC address, what's to keep me or anyone from cooking up a bogus foreign address for MP to avoid the spend requirement? I say this assuming that the foreign address doesn't come into play since, other than junk mail, all MP correspondence could be done by email. Am I overlooking something?
You wouldn't get your membership package, which means no *G lounge access on international travel. Also, if it is returned to the sender, that might be a red flag that you don't really live there.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Folks, this is simple and very clear. The T&C state that determination is based on your "primary MileagePlus account address." The website allows multiple addresses and allows you to specify and very clear shows which is your primary address. The T&C and rules don't say anything about where you live, where you're domiciled, where you have a credit card, etc.

Further, you can hold credit cards in multiple countries and currency and you can freely select which card and which currency to use every time you purchase a ticket. These have nothing to do with your primary address.

If you provide a bogus address, you're definitely in violation of the T&C since you've provided fraudulent information. If you give them an address of an uncle or friend in a foreign country, you're probably running a risk. My guess is that as long as you have some legitimate connection or presence (at least part time employment or residence) at a foreign address, you're fine. If you get audited, I suspect the first thing they will do is check your travel records to see how often you have been in the country in question.
flockavelliFT likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Originally Posted by BetsyF
Sorry if this query previously answered but why the waiver if you have a non-US address? Did I miss something?
My bet would be currency conversion.....

Buy ticket in australia when $1 is worth $1 USD
Upgrade from K->W 2 months later to apply a GPU Paying change fee + fare diff when $1aus is worth $2USD
Then Take the flight 3 months after that when $1AUD is worth $.50 USD

How do you determine PQD?
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by gonezen
Where would they send your status card the achievement of which is the whole reason to move your address to begin with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.