Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to book award and revenue (cash) tickets on the same PNR? No.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Can you have a single PNR where one passenger is a cash/revenue ticket and the other passenger is an award ticket?
No -- all passengers on a PNR must be of the same type ( cash or award) -- they must be the same fare class, same cabin, same routing, ....this is standard for all airlines. The airline industry-wide global distribution system (GDS) imposes this "commonality" restriction.

Can you have a single PNR where one direction is a cash/revenue ticket and the other direction is an award ticket?
No, while probably not a GDS limitation, most airlines do not allow this as the ticket rules for cash tickets and award tickets are very different.

Related threads
Combine reservations into one PNR? Can not be done.

Premier benefits for companions on separate tickets, "off-pnr" [Consoldiated]

Economy Plus for Companions if on separate PNR [Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

Is it possible to book award and revenue (cash) tickets on the same PNR? No.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2013, 9:13 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus AAdvantage La Quinta Returns
I would just book with miles if I had miles for me and the other person I am bringing with me but I don't.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Get more miles between now and next year - tons of ways with CC spend and bonuses.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 9:49 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JetMan19
I would just book with miles if I had miles for me and the other person I am bringing with me but I don't.
strictly speaking, the number of miles for flights to Hawaii are the same regardless of the starting point in USA -- it does not matter if the starting point is DEN / LAX / ABQ. The issue id the availability of save / standard inventory. if you starting location does not have save inventory available, then it will be a higher rate -- that is likely what you are seeing.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
strictly speaking, the number of miles for flights to Hawaii are the same regardless of the starting point in USA -- it does not matter if the starting point is DEN / LAX / ABQ. The issue id the availability of save / standard inventory. if you starting location does not have save inventory available, then it will be a higher rate -- that is likely what you are seeing.
No - the OP wants to use miles domestically to get to a starting point. So it is different, technically.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 5:20 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by PHX_SOUS
This is exactly what I was looking to do. My question is can I check bags all the through from AAA-CCC? Flights would be IND-DEN-LIH all on UA with a 2 hr layover in DEN.
Yes, they will let you check bags through to your destination even if it's on a separate ticket/PNR.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 4:14 pm

Booking an Award Ticket and a Paid Ticket Together

I am looking to get an award ticket and a paid ticket together on one reservation.

My work is paying for my ticket and I want to bring my wife along with my miles. I want us to both be on the same reservation so that if anything goes wrong we can both have our flights changed together with less hassle.

Is there anyway of doing this?
Old Jul 22, 2013, 4:22 pm

No doubt the wise ones here will have many ideas. Just jumping in to say that I once had to do this with a very complicated route, and I just got a travel agent to do it. My company paid her fee for arranging my ticket, and my companion paid the $35 fee for arranging that ticket. So basically it cost $35.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
AFAIK, this can not be done with the current reservation system. Others may have additional experience, but every time I've tried, this is what I've been told.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 5:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Everyone on a PNR needs to have the same fare class, itin, .... that is an industry wide limitation of the reservation/ticketing systems (GDS). So it is not possible to have paid ticket and an award ticket on the same PNR. So called linking of tickets is not a solution and effectively (other than a comment in the ticket point to the other PNR) is not real help.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-same-pnr.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-together.html
Old Jul 22, 2013, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Everyone on a PNR needs to have the same fare class, itin, .... that is an industry wide limitation of the reservation/ticketing systems (GDS). So it is not possible to have paid ticket and an award ticket on the same PNR. So called linking of tickets is not a solution and effectively (other than a comment in the ticket point to the other PNR) is of not real help.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-same-pnr.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-together.html
That news is quite sad...but thank you for answering my question!
Old Dec 3, 2013, 6:47 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Platinum, Home - General Member
Award Travel -- 2 Seats (1 Saver, 1 Paid) -- Can I merge PNR?

A job change is taking me off the road and I have been using the miles I still have available to send my wife and her mother for a long weekend to see family in Cincinnati. I have enough miles left for one Award seat and then one paid seat. I am unable to find a way to book these together on .com so that they are on the same PNR. Should I just book separately and then call to have them merged?

BTW--A sincere thank you to all you road warriors here on FT. Can't tell you how much I have learned in my 6 years of living on the road.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 6:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by gdenny
A job change is taking me off the road and I have been using the miles I still have available to send my wife and her mother for a long weekend to see family in Cincinnati. I have enough miles left for one Award seat and then one paid seat. I am unable to find a way to book these together on .com so that they are on the same PNR. Should I just book separately and then call to have them merged?

BTW--A sincere thank you to all you road warriors here on FT. Can't tell you how much I have learned in my 6 years of living on the road.
You can't book a revenue and an award ticket on the same PNR.
And you can't "link" or "merge" two PNRs -- each stands on its own.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gdenny

You can not have them merged. The only way to have more than one person on a single PNR is to have them booked at the same time, on the same itinerary, and in the same fare class. Not just on UA, but with any carrier.

You can certainly call and ask an agent to place notes in each PNR referencing the other and that they are traveling together. However, this won't help anything with any automated system (for example, automated rebooking in irrops, etc.).
Old Dec 3, 2013, 6:56 am

Programs: UA 1K
The biggest technical problem here is that when two passengers appear together on a PNR, the segments must be identical — they must both be traveling on all the same flights, *in the same fare class*. This means that you cannot combine a coach award (fare class "X") and a paid coach ticket (fare class, say, "K") on the same reservation.

This is the same reason why it is sometimes cheaper to buy two separate tickets vs. one two-passenger ticket on a trip. If a flight's inventory is "Y9 B9 … T2 L1", you will be able to book a one-passenger itinerary in a cheap L fare and probably also book a one-passenger itinerary in a somewhat more expensive T fare, but you will *not* be able to book a two-passenger itinerary in L (the flight is only L1), and airline reservations systems can't handle giving you a single two-passenger reservation in "T for one and L for the other". It just doesn't work.

There is another technical problem with your proposal which is sort of unique to UA: UA is usually unwilling or unable to combine reservations which were originally booked separately. But even if they could, they wouldn't be able to merge two un-like fare classes together.

Hope your family enjoys the trip!
Old Jul 6, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Award and paid tickets on same itenerary

Does anyone know how I can book an award ticket plus three paid tickets on one itinerary? Is it even possible? Or should I just book the award ticket, then pay separately for the three on the same route?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.