Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to book award and revenue (cash) tickets on the same PNR? No.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Can you have a single PNR where one passenger is a cash/revenue ticket and the other passenger is an award ticket?
No -- all passengers on a PNR must be of the same type ( cash or award) -- they must be the same fare class, same cabin, same routing, ....this is standard for all airlines. The airline industry-wide global distribution system (GDS) imposes this "commonality" restriction.

Can you have a single PNR where one direction is a cash/revenue ticket and the other direction is an award ticket?
No, while probably not a GDS limitation, most airlines do not allow this as the ticket rules for cash tickets and award tickets are very different.

Related threads
Combine reservations into one PNR? Can not be done.

Premier benefits for companions on separate tickets, "off-pnr" [Consoldiated]

Economy Plus for Companions if on separate PNR [Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

Is it possible to book award and revenue (cash) tickets on the same PNR? No.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Long Zhiren
(1) It's fairly easy on domestic routes on United metal.
This is simply not true any more. Domestic saver award availability is the pits.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
This is simply not true any more. Domestic saver award availability is the pits.
Domestic standard award availability seems pretty good. Or is it because I have one of those Chase cc's?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Long Zhiren
Domestic standard award availability seems pretty good. Or is it because I have one of those Chase cc's?
Standard award availability is last seat, so of course that's fine.

It's not a good use of miles (typically less than 1 cpm) unless the ticket is exceptionally expensive.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Standard award availability is last seat, so of course that's fine.

It's not a good use of miles (typically less than 1 cpm) unless the ticket is exceptionally expensive.
Only if you are premier or have the appropriate CC. Otherwise even standard awards are capacity controlled.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...vel/types.aspx
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Of course, until April, whomever you got an award ticket for also inherited your status. Which brings up an interesting point- during irrops, did both automated systems and human CSRs treat such passengers as 1Ks (in your case, Plats in mine)? Obviously that won't be happening down the road. Not without deliberately requesting such treatment anyway.
I'm sure after April that you'll have to call in and deliberately request such treatment. I feel though that for the most part when someone is flying with me they tend to give them similar treatment if asked (just because they are with me), except for upgrades of course.

I've had instances were colleagues were flying with me on different (paid) PNRs where the UA 1K desk helped get them on the same flights as me during irrops, so it's not just award PNRs (with inherited status) + paid PNRs that I'm speaking from experience on.

The one area where they really can't do much is standby, so if the irrops are so bad (i.e. fire at ORD ATC) you need to try standby on several flights the GM on the separate PNR will likely spend much more time at the airport than you, or they will be flying on a different day.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDS747
I'm sure after April that you'll have to call in and deliberately request such treatment. I feel though that for the most part when someone is flying with me they tend to give them similar treatment if asked (just because they are with me), except for upgrades of course.

I've had instances were colleagues were flying with me on different (paid) PNRs where the UA 1K desk helped get them on the same flights as me during irrops, so it's not just award PNRs (with inherited status) + paid PNRs that I'm speaking from experience on.

The one area where they really can't do much is standby, so if the irrops are so bad (i.e. fire at ORD ATC) you need to try standby on several flights the GM on the separate PNR will likely spend much more time at the airport than you, or they will be flying on a different day.
When they are flying with you they are entitled to certain benefits, like E+. I think where the sticking point for most in this thread is when they are not flying with you so won't get the benefits of your status any longer after the cutoff date.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Baze
When they are flying with you they are entitled to certain benefits, like E+. I think where the sticking point for most in this thread is when they are not flying with you so won't get the benefits of your status any longer after the cutoff date.
If you are flying together, but not on the same PNR, instrument upgrade priority will also be different.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you are flying together, but not on the same PNR, instrument upgrade priority will also be different.
Which is why I said certain benefits, like E+

And for the OP's scenario of 1 revenue ticket and 1 award ticket they would not be on the same PNR anyways.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:00 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Is it clear they'll get E+ if on the same trip but different PNRs, though? It's always worked that way, yeah, and I don't see why UA would suddenly get tough on that benefit, but IIRC the wording is such that your companions need to be on the same PNR to get E+.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exerda
Is it clear they'll get E+ if on the same trip but different PNRs, though? It's always worked that way, yeah, and I don't see why UA would suddenly get tough on that benefit, but IIRC the wording is such that your companions need to be on the same PNR to get E+.
There is nothing on the UA page for benefits of E+ that states must be on same PNR that I can see. Just one very unclear statement that is asterisked at the bottom. Could be interpreted many ways in my eyes.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...myseating.aspx
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:02 pm

There is nothing on the UA page for benefits of E+ that states must be on same PNR that I can see. Just one very unclear statement that is asterisked at the bottom. Could be interpreted many ways in my eyes.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...myseating.aspx
Actually it says "Complimentary Economy Plus access is determined by the highest Premier status of the travelers on the reservation" which would seem to me to be referring specifically to passengers on the same PNR.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:26 pm

SDC fees can get complicated too. Heck, any change in itinerary gets complicated.
For a paid ticket, the fees are clear-cut.
For an award ticket, things get complicated, starting with award seat availability.

A single PNR for paid tickets enables riding the premier member's coattails through the itinerary changes. A cancellation though can result in two separate e-certs. That's a pain especially if you try to use the e-certs to buy a new pair of tickets. You can only use one e-cert per purchase, no matter how many tickets are involved. It's a bummer that a resulting pair of PNR's can't be combined into a single PNR.

Last edited by Long Zhiren; Nov 25, 2014 at 2:33 pm
Old Nov 25, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Actually it says "Complimentary Economy Plus access is determined by the highest Premier status of the travelers on the reservation" which would seem to me to be referring specifically to passengers on the same PNR.
Which could easily mean that if you're a Gold or above and you call in to have someone moved up to E+ (that's not on the same PNR) it's no problem, but if you're Silver you'll have to wait until T-24hrs.

I agree with Baze that it is very vague. I've never had issues getting someone moved up though... meaning I've never had to HUACA to make it happen. Maybe others have but I haven't.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by JDS747
I agree with Baze that it is very vague. I've never had issues getting someone moved up though... meaning I've never had to HUACA to make it happen. Maybe others have but I haven't.
Yes I'm aware they will currently give it to you as an unpublished benefit (and already so advised OP upthread).

The question is what happens post April 15. I will not be at all surprised to see this get yanked, too. UA must hate leaving all those uncollected E+ fees on the table
Old Nov 25, 2014, 3:48 pm

Yes I'm aware they will currently give it to you as an unpublished benefit (and already so advised OP upthread).

The question is what happens post April 15. I will not be at all surprised to see this get yanked, too. UA must hate leaving all those uncollected E+ fees on the table
What I'm arguing, and I believe Baze is too, is whether or not it's a published benefit. I read it as a published benefit because it doesn't specifically say "8 companions on the same PNR" like it does for upgrades. For E+ it just says 8 or 1 companion(s).

For CPUs it clearly states "In addition, one companion traveling on the same reservation as a Premier member is eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades on select flights, and may be confirmed with the same priority as the Premier member, even on the day of departure."

There is no such wording when it comes to E+.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...e/default.aspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.