FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Is it possible to book award and revenue (cash) tickets on the same PNR? No. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1460311-possible-book-award-revenue-cash-tickets-same-pnr-no.html)

Shagboy Apr 21, 2013 9:58 am

Is it possible to book award and revenue (cash) tickets on the same PNR? No.

Mrs Shagboy and I would like to book a trip from GRB to Lax and back using miles for one ticket and cash for the other. How do I book that? Is it necessary to call United? I can't find a way to do it on the United web site. Would a brick and mortar TA be the way to go?

WineCountryUA Apr 21, 2013 10:05 am

You will need to book separate tickets. Every one on a PNR must be booked using the same fare class, so no mixing of award and paid tickets on a single PNR.

This is true for online or in person TA bookings.

Shagboy Apr 21, 2013 10:16 am

Well shucks, guess I'll have to bone up on linking PNRs.
Thanks for the quick reply.

WineCountryUA Apr 21, 2013 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Shagboy (Post 20627757)
...linking PNRs. ...

So to be the bearer of further bad news, but linking PNRs is meaningless feature. It is nothing more than a comment in the PNR which brings no transfer of elite benefits and is not readable by the computer. Linking PNRs is something agents talk about to clam concerns but it readily does nothing.

Shagboy Apr 21, 2013 10:41 am

I have come to understand that linking PNRs is kind of meaningless. Found the information using a Google search pointing to this forum rather than the forum search function.
The reason behind my asking is seat assignments and the Chase Mileage Plus Explorer cc benefit of one free bag plus one for a companion. Looking at the United site there is no way to check the second bag for free. We continue from LAX to KOA on Delta which will allow two checked bags on a revenue ticket with the AMEX gold cc.

aacharya Apr 21, 2013 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Shagboy (Post 20627855)
I have come to understand that linking PNRs is kind of meaningless. Found the information using a Google search pointing to this forum rather than the forum search function.
The reason behind my asking is seat assignments and the Chase Mileage Plus Explorer cc benefit of one free bag plus one for a companion. Looking at the United site there is no way to check the second bag for free. We continue from LAX to KOA on Delta which will allow two checked bags on a revenue ticket with the AMEX gold cc.

All this strife over a Hawaii trip for $25 (2nd bag cost).

Carry the bag on the plane, and check it for free at the gate.

Shagboy Apr 21, 2013 1:13 pm

Yeah, I know. Silly isn't it? It is best though to go armed with the information before the booking process. Unlike some people I was not born knowing all this stuff. Learning as I go, mostly due to the experienced people on this forum.

GoPUBoilers Apr 23, 2013 7:31 am

Booking a revenue and mileage ticket in one PNR

Hello! I'd like to do the following all on one PNR if possible:

AAA-BBB (revenue)
BBB-CCC (award)
CCC-DDD (award)
DDD-AAA (revenue)

Essentially it's an award ticket nested inside a revenue ticket, but all on one PNR for IRROPs considerations. I can feed the segments one by one to the phone agent, but just want to make sure it's even possible before going down that road.

Thanks all!

SEA1K4EVR Apr 23, 2013 7:42 am

Originally Posted by GoPUBoilers (Post 20638049)

AAA-BBB (revenue)
BBB-CCC (award)
CCC-DDD (award)
DDD-AAA (revenue)

Essentially it's an award ticket nested inside a revenue ticket, but all on one PNR for IRROPs considerations. I can feed the segments one by one to the phone agent, but just want to make sure it's even possible before going down that road.

Thanks all!

No you can't. You'll have to book the revenue and award portions on a second record.

GoPUBoilers Apr 23, 2013 7:50 am

Ok, thanks!

PHX_SOUS May 14, 2013 7:32 am

AAA-BBB (revenue)
BBB-CCC (award)
CCC-DDD (award)
DDD-AAA (revenue)

Thanks all!

This is exactly what I was looking to do. My question is can I check bags all the through from AAA-CCC? Flights would be IND-DEN-LIH all on UA with a 2 hr layover in DEN.

fastair May 14, 2013 7:53 am

AAA-BBB (revenue)
BBB-CCC (award)
CCC-DDD (award)
DDD-AAA (revenue)

Thanks all!

This is doable. One can have numerous tickets on 1 PNR, provided each person in that PNR is booked on the exact same itin (same flights, same booking classes.) Not an issue for a res agent, other than the phone booking fee if not exempt from it by status.

Not all segments need to be in the same booking class, just have them issue 11 ticket off of segements 2+3, and a 2nd ticket off of segments 1+4. I doubt the computer will check you in for both segments though when you intially check in, you most likely will have to check in 2x per direction (not 100% sure on that part though.)

aacharya May 14, 2013 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Shagboy (Post 20628498)
Yeah, I know. Silly isn't it? It is best though to go armed with the information before the booking process. Unlike some people I was not born knowing all this stuff. Learning as I go, mostly due to the experienced people on this forum.

I hope that wasn't a dig at me "being born knowing all this stuff".

JetMan19 Jul 3, 2013 9:05 am

Is it possible

Is it possible to book econ sections of a trip using miles and the first class sections of a trip using cash well debt on one Itinerary? I want to go to Hawaii next year and in doing my research I have found its cheaper out of DEN or LAX then ABQ my home airport so I was thinking I could book a flight up to LAX (DEN I could drive it) using miles then pay for the first class section on the legs to Hawaii

aacharya Jul 3, 2013 9:09 am

Not on the same PNR.

Surprised it's not worth it to book with miles all the way through.