Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to book award and revenue (cash) tickets on the same PNR? No.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Can you have a single PNR where one passenger is a cash/revenue ticket and the other passenger is an award ticket?
No -- all passengers on a PNR must be of the same type ( cash or award) -- they must be the same fare class, same cabin, same routing, ....this is standard for all airlines. The airline industry-wide global distribution system (GDS) imposes this "commonality" restriction.

Can you have a single PNR where one direction is a cash/revenue ticket and the other direction is an award ticket?
No, while probably not a GDS limitation, most airlines do not allow this as the ticket rules for cash tickets and award tickets are very different.

Related threads
Combine reservations into one PNR? Can not be done.

Premier benefits for companions on separate tickets, "off-pnr" [Consoldiated]

Economy Plus for Companions if on separate PNR [Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

Is it possible to book award and revenue (cash) tickets on the same PNR? No.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2014, 3:56 pm

Just did this, one with miles, one paid
Then use the website to 'combine' trips to keep together
Old Nov 24, 2014, 4:07 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus: Platinum; Enterprise Plus: Silver
I am not sure it can be done on one PNR. As far as I know, all tickets on one PNR should have the same booking class one the same leg (booking class can differ by leg though), while cash and award tickets are booked into different booking classes.

However, the OP can define "same reservation" differently from "same PNR".
Old Nov 24, 2014, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by jerseygirl
Hi Jerseygirl,

That doesn't combine the reservations. It just groups them together when you look at your united.com account.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 4:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ajGoes
That doesn't combine the reservations. It just groups them together when you look at your united.com account.
Correct. It has no substantive effect or meaning; just a display convenience on united.com.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Is there a particular goal for having them in one reservation? Because we might be able to help with that.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by jerseygirl
That does not combine PNR's or do anything other than perhaps make it easier to track what you are holding. OP is asking about making a cash and award booking on one PNR.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 6:57 pm

If it's important to be on the same PNR, you could consider buying two one-way trips with cash on the outbound and getting two one-way awards on the return. Or the other way around.

However, I'm not really sure it's worth worrying about being on the same PNR.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Is there a particular goal for having them in one reservation? Because we might be able to help with that.
For me (I'm not the OP), the goal would be to make sure that I get seated (on my revenue ticket) with my family (on award tickets) and that should there be any changes, there might be a better chance of being re-seated together.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA, TSA-Pre, Global Entry
Ease of finding saver space and an affordable ($$$) cash ticket.

I do what OP is talking about 4-6 times a year and it's a pain in the ... each time finding flights that are both low cost (in terms of $$$ and miles).
Originally Posted by flyingnosh
If it's important to be on the same PNR, you could consider buying two one-way trips with cash on the outbound and getting two one-way awards on the return. Or the other way around.

However, I'm not really sure it's worth worrying about being on the same PNR.
This is an issue if you are booking international travel because non round trip flights tend to be more expensive than 2 one-ways. (I have even booked a round trip before and canceled a leg because the round trip was cheaper than the 1-way).

Also, some of these trips are business trips that my wife joins me on. I can not expense two legs in the same direction but I can expense my flight and use miles for her.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by RockinPete

I do what OP is talking about 4-6 times a year and it's a pain in the ... each time finding flights that are both low cost (in terms of $$$ and miles).
I don't think you understood my question.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 7:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by RockinPete
Yes, it can be a hassle trying to match an award booking to a paid booking, but that has nothing to do with OP's question. Which is whether award and paid tickets can be combined in a single PNR. They simply cannot.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:01 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, it can be a hassle trying to match an award booking to a paid booking, but that has nothing to do with OP's question. Which is whether award and paid tickets can be combined in a single PNR. They simply cannot.
This is absolutely, positively.... correct. I travel 5-10 times/year with someone using an award ticket (from my miles) while I'm on a paid ticket. So far, no issues sitting together, you just have to call and let them know what's going on.

But if things go bad, the two reservations will be treated separately. Just cross your fingers.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
This is absolutely, positively.... correct. I travel 5-10 times/year with someone using an award ticket (from my miles) while I'm on a paid ticket. So far, no issues sitting together, you just have to call and let them know what's going on.
Hrm? If booked using your miles, there should be no need to call because the award ticket inherits your status.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Hrm? If booked using your miles, there should be no need to call because the award ticket inherits your status.
Till the next death by a thousand cuts (coming soon).
Lurker
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Lurker
Till the next death by a thousand cuts (coming soon).
Lurker
Indeed, indeed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.