Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to book award and revenue (cash) tickets on the same PNR? No.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Can you have a single PNR where one passenger is a cash/revenue ticket and the other passenger is an award ticket?
No -- all passengers on a PNR must be of the same type ( cash or award) -- they must be the same fare class, same cabin, same routing, ....this is standard for all airlines. The airline industry-wide global distribution system (GDS) imposes this "commonality" restriction.

Can you have a single PNR where one direction is a cash/revenue ticket and the other direction is an award ticket?
No, while probably not a GDS limitation, most airlines do not allow this as the ticket rules for cash tickets and award tickets are very different.

Related threads
Combine reservations into one PNR? Can not be done.

Premier benefits for companions on separate tickets, "off-pnr" [Consoldiated]

Economy Plus for Companions if on separate PNR [Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

Is it possible to book award and revenue (cash) tickets on the same PNR? No.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2014, 3:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JDS747
What I'm arguing, and I believe Baze is too, is whether or not it's a published benefit. I read it as a published benefit because it doesn't specifically say "8 companions on the same PNR" like it does for upgrades. For E+ it just says 8 or 1 companion(s).

For CPUs it clearly states "In addition, one companion traveling on the same reservation as a Premier member is eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades on select flights, and may be confirmed with the same priority as the Premier member, even on the day of departure."

There is no such wording when it comes to E+.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...e/default.aspx
Yes, they use exactly the same "on the reservation" language. And don't worry, they'll tighten it up when they cut the benefit
Old Nov 25, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, they use exactly the same "on the reservation" language. And don't worry, they'll tighten it up when they cut the benefit
It's not the same at all... As I already stated up-thread. How it's worded on the E+ benefit could easily mean; do you get 8 companions or 1, and do you get to move them up at time of booking or T-24? It could also just mean that if you have a 1K AND a GM on one PNR then you get the 1K benefits instead of no benefits like a GM, or any other combination of elites/GMs/elites on a PNR. No where does it say "companions must be traveling on the same reservation to receive the complimentary E+ benefit."

If they are going to change it then yes they would need to tighten up the wording to make it the same as the companion upgrade wording. That is very clear and can't really be construed any other way.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by interval
Hi guys, thanks for all the replies.

My motivation is as follows:
1) I earn miles for the flight on my ticket
2) Wife flies free with my award miles
3) I'm able to use my status to move us both for free into Economy Plus
4) Ideally kept together in case of rebooks, etc
Lots of disagreement about #3 on this board. All I can say is this. I travel with someone who is not on the same PNR several times per year. I always put myself into an E+ seat that has an empty seat next to it. Then I call UA and have them move the other person into the empty seat. Never a problem at all.

If by any chance you are eligible for a CPU, put yourself in the middle seat. Otherwise, you might find yourself stuck in a middle seat while your wife sits up front.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingnosh
Lots of disagreement about #3 on this board. All I can say is this. I travel with someone who is not on the same PNR several times per year. I always put myself into an E+ seat that has an empty seat next to it. Then I call UA and have them move the other person into the empty seat. Never a problem at all.

If by any chance you are eligible for a CPU, put yourself in the middle seat. Otherwise, you might find yourself stuck in a middle seat while your wife sits up front.
I see you have your priorities straight
Old Nov 26, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by JDS747
Which could easily mean that if you're a Gold or above and you call in to have someone moved up to E+ (that's not on the same PNR) it's no problem, but if you're Silver you'll have to wait until T-24hrs.
Wait, what? You're saying that - absent the language "Complimentary Economy Plus access is determined by the highest Premier status of the travelers on the reservation" - you'd think that if a Kettle is traveling with a Silver, the Silver could get the Kettle a free E+ seat prior to T-24, even though she herself needs to wait until T-24 to get her own free E+ seat. How would that make any sense at all?

To me it is unambiguous that they are saying both travelers need to be on the same PNR. Otherwise, if the Kettle is on a separate reservation, his E+ access is "determined by the highest Premier status of the travelers on the reservation,", i.e., him. Thus he does not have free access.

Yes, I know that agents will frequently waive this policy over the phone, but that doesn't mean the policy doesn't exist.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA
Mileage Plus award ticket for someone other than the 1K member

I was able to get good seats with no baggage fee for my family members while flying on my miles (not accompanying me). It seems on 4/15/2015, United put a stop to it (saying they cannot get free baggage or economy plus seats unless I travel with them). It is getting harder to get good deals these days. Since I travel with paid thickets and the family members travel on miles, how can we be both in the same reservation?

Second, I cancelled an award ticket and redeposited the miles at the United Web site (without calling 1K desk). I was charged $200/passenger for the deposit fee. I had to call the desk to receive credit. Is this a new bug in the web page or this is done intentionally so that folks must call 1K desk?
Old Apr 25, 2015, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by manoaflyer
Is this a new bug in the web page or this is done intentionally so that folks must call 1K desk?
bug in page - they knew about it when I called... I didn't bother paying the fee - just had them cancel it and refund/redeposit everything.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Since I travel with paid thickets and the family members travel on miles, how can we be both in the same reservation?
To be on the same reservation, or PNR, you need to change the way you book. You can only do this if you are all in the same fare class - you need to be on the same exact flights, fare class (I.e. All tickets will cost the same), in the same cabin, etc. This is how airline ticketing works pretty much with any carrier. And you can't add an additional passenger to that reservation, even if all those requirements are met, after the ticket is issued.

If you want to be on the same PNR, the only way is to book everyone together at the same time, either all paid, or all award.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA gold; WN A; PC plat; Marriott Gold
Since I travel with paid thickets and the family members travel on miles, how can we be both in the same reservation?
A paid ticket and an award ticket cannot be on the same PNR. To get your elite perks, you and your family do not need to be on the same PNR, you and your family member just need to be booked on the same flight.

To get your family member into economy plus for free, you need to call in and ask the phone agent to move your family member who is on the same flight as you. To get free checked luggage, you need to check in with them. To get priority boarding, just have them board with you in group 1 and tell the gate agent scanning boarding passes that you are traveling together.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by qisu
A paid ticket and an award ticket cannot be on the same PNR. To get your elite perks, you and your family do not need to be on the same PNR, you and your family member just need to be booked on the same flight.

To get your family member into economy plus for free, you need to call in and ask the phone agent to move your family member who is on the same flight as you. To get free checked luggage, you need to check in with them. To get priority boarding, just have them board with you in group 1 and tell the gate agent scanning boarding passes that you are traveling together.
Generally correct, but note that companions are technically not entitled to free baggage unless they are on the same PNR:
Customers traveling with MileagePlus Premier members or dependents traveling with active U.S. military personnel will have the same exemption as the customer whose status provides for the benefit, as long as they are traveling on the same reservation.

Checked Bags
Old Jun 2, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Qatar Airways Privilege Club
Award and Rev same Itin?

Has United upgraded their system to allow an award and revenue ticket (1 pass, 2 legs, 2 methods of payment) on the same itin?
Old Jun 2, 2015, 2:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by EliteNewbie
Has United upgraded their system to allow an award and revenue ticket (1 pass, 2 legs, 2 methods of payment) on the same itin?
nope -- not sure I am aware of anyone that allows mixing paid tickets with award tickets on the same PNR in any form.
An award ticket with mixture miles + cash has been an option in the past.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 5:14 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Qatar Airways Privilege Club
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
nope -- not sure I am aware of anyone that allows mixing paid tickets with award tickets on the same PNR in any form.
An award ticket with mixture miles + cash has been an option in the past.
shucks, ok thanks
Old Jun 2, 2015, 5:24 pm

Programs: 1k
Probably a very stupid question (would not be the first time) but what is the advantage of them officially offering this?
Old Jun 2, 2015, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Asiatraveler15
Probably a very stupid question (would not be the first time) but what is the advantage of them officially offering this?
Convenience. Not exactly same scenario but I just booked 2 hotel rooms on hilton, one purchase and one with points. If United were generous they would allow a round trip purchase with one way being miles and the other way being purchase but charging half the round trip fare instead of the one way fare which is usually higher.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.