Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Source: https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...g-process.aspx

Pre-Boarding
  • Customers with Disabilities
  • Global Services
  • Uniformed Military Personnel
  • Families with Children Age Two and Under

Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, BusinessFirst, and First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver*, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

*A Star Alliance Silver who is not a Premier Silver is not eligible for Premier Access boarding.

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Aisle Seats

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:02 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by aacharya
I've seen it both ways. It's the worst in ORD, for some reason (Elites tend to pack heavy and carry it all on) and not great in EWR. But in SFO, they pack lighter or check bags.

Obviously, YMMV.
FF's are usually pretty quick to get their stuff into the overhead and/or under the seat, simply by virtue of having done it hundreds of times before. Thanks to UA's new reliance on RJ145's, I often check my roller at the origination and only carry on a backpack with my work laptop and tablet.

This has little to do with the boarding process, but as a regular occupant of the bulkhead row on A319/320's, my personal pet peave is when I board to see the bulkead and second Y row seats empty but find the overhead bins almost full because group 1 exit row occupants felt the need to stash their rollerboards, overcoats, etc., over rows 7 and 8
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:38 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy BS, Hertz & Avis Pres
Originally Posted by mrjay
This has little to do with the boarding process, but as a regular occupant of the bulkhead row on A319/320's, my personal pet peave is when I board to see the bulkead and second Y row seats empty but find the overhead bins almost full because group 1 exit row occupants felt the need to stash their rollerboards, overcoats, etc., over rows 7 and 8
Happy it is not just me that feels this way. I once saw an pmUA FA on a 752 come on the PA and ask someone sitting in the back to "Please come collect your carryon bag that you placed in the overhead bin at our Economy+ customers' row ... where you are not sitting."

I believe it is F9 (maybe others as well?) that "force" customers seated in bulkhead rows into the first boarding group - I believe for this very reason. As someone who anal-retentively seeks out bulkheads, I always appreciated that.

Last edited by NgatesSEA; Feb 13, 2013 at 11:44 am
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Two more competing datapoints - ANA high capacity 777s between NRT and TPE right during Chinese New Year - fully loaded, lots of bigger bags, carry-ones, boxes, shopping bags, etc.

Both flights fully boarded in UNDER 30 minutes. While having two boarding jetways did help, one of the first differences was having agents wade into the giant cluster mess and move everyone into 3 distinct single file lines - Business, Star Gold and Economy and they were ruthless in enforcing the priority, even going back into the lines to make sure no one moved where they shouldn't have.

When the doors opened for boarding, instead of a mad rush forward, 3 distinct streams of passengers moved through the process quickly, and once on board, I could see people moved with purpose, put their bags up and sat down immediately, clearing the aisle so no one was gummed up behind them.

If ANA can board 300+ people in 20-25 minutes through two doors, I would hope UA can board 150 people in under 30 minutes through one, right?

Maybe the solution is giving everyone in Group 1 a cattle prod to use on the Group 3-6 passengers who stand in the aisle clueless about where to put their bags or find their seat?
I've seen the board 300+ in 5 minutes on a domestic. Japanese are just a lot more efficient at getting on and off, plus everyone doesn't bring a rollerboard and/or stroller with them.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:54 am

Programs: UA 1k MM, KLM Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by gengar
Disagree completely. I see FFs as more likely to pack light and efficiently not to mention use rollerbags that actually fit wheels in; additionally, those elites that want to check bags don't have any financial incentive not to do so. As I see it, it's the shortsighted airline revenue policy disincentivizing GMs not to check in bags that contributes heavily to slowing the boarding process.
+1. The annoying part of the new boarding process is exactly the carry-on-happy unfrequent flyer who blocks the aisle while taking every single thing out of the purse/backpack/suitcase in search of whatever item it never occurred to them that they may want to have easily accessible. They have to pay for checked luggage so by God they will squeeze the last sock and hat into that carry-on. In the meantime you have all kinds of elite FF waiting around and blocking the jetway because they can't get to their seats.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by 5khours
I've seen the board 300+ in 5 minutes on a domestic. Japanese are just a lot more efficient at getting on and off, plus everyone doesn't bring a rollerboard and/or stroller with them.
Both my flights were mostly Taiwanese and plenty of American Taiwanese traveling for the holiday (more than 50% of both flights were UA connectors given all the US passports being waved around)...lots of strollers, young kids and lots and lots of rollerboards in various shapes and sizes with extra bags full of gifts, souvenirs, etc - no different than a US domestic flight.

Much of the benefit came from pre-segregating the boarding before it even started by wading out into the mass of people and getting them prepared. Strollers were pulled well in advance and boarded along with wheelchairs.

General boarding was by row number instead of group, so people were moved directly to the rear and filled forward from there.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA*G, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Much of the benefit came from pre-segregating the boarding before it even started by wading out into the mass of people and getting them prepared. Strollers were pulled well in advance and boarded along with wheelchairs.
This is a key difference - the gate personnel get out there with their boarding group signs and aggressively get people into the proper lines. It makes things go much more smoothly once boarding starts. In addition during boarding I have observed that Asian's generally don't have a problem squeezing by someone blocking the aisle or climbing over people sitting in an aisle seat to get to the middle or window seat. Nobody gets upset or takes offence, everyone just gets into their seats promptly. That would never happen on a domestic US flight.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, Hyatt PLT, Marriott PLT
My husband and I are traveling HNL-GUM in March, Business/First on 777. We will each have a rollerboard and briefcase. Will we really have to worry about overhead space in First if we are further back in the Group 2 line or should we get there early and line up?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by skiermsm
My husband and I are traveling HNL-GUM in March, Business/First on 777. We will each have a rollerboard and briefcase. Will we really have to worry about overhead space in First if we are further back in the Group 2 line or should we get there early and line up?
If you are in Business/First, you should be in Group 1, and my advice would be to board with your group vs later. For economy boarding, your handle says Premier Exec, which either means Premier Platinum (Group 1) or Premier Gold (Group 2), depending how much you flew in 2012...?

--Arun
Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:52 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by skiermsm
Originally Posted by abaheti
If you are in Business/First, you should be in Group 1, and my advice would be to board with your group vs later.
Good news, bad news

IIRC we boarded through the second door, so no coach pax will try to take your overhead space

Bad news, this is a DOMESTIC 777, so domestic FC seats, and only overhead projectors.

EmailKid
Old Feb 13, 2013, 2:55 pm

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
Originally Posted by woodway
In addition during boarding I have observed that Asian's generally don't have a problem squeezing by someone blocking the aisle or climbing over people sitting in an aisle seat to get to the middle or window seat. Nobody gets upset or takes offence, everyone just gets into their seats promptly. That would never happen on a domestic US flight.
This is a lot easier to do when there are few COS aboard as is generally the case in Asia
Old Feb 13, 2013, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Too many premiers

There are basically 3 complaints in this thread:
1) Gate lice clogging passage
2) Storage space
3) Speed of boarding

Multiple lanes ought to make the lice less dense. I don't think this lengthens boarding process to any extent or affects overhead space. This is more of a convenience issue.

Boarding sequence does not address overall storage issue, but addresses who gets to storage ahead of others. Until UA reduces carry-ons, this won't be solved. This adds a little to boarding time sometimes in the latter stages.

Speed of boarding can be addressed, but elites who sometimes sit in coach won't like the solution. Complaining about boarding speed is disingenuous because elites (in general) are the problem. If you want to board a plane fast, the last thing you do is board current Group 1, then 2, etc. This clogs up the front of the airplane and quickly results in back-up in the jetway. The obvious solution (if the goal is strictly to board a plane fast) is rear-to-front boarding.

Unfortunately, the fastest possible boarding process precludes elites from getting to storage first. Complain about gate lice irritants and lack of storage all you want, but complaining about boarding speed is a joke when you (me included) are part of the problem.

So, next time it takes 45 minutes to board, just sit back and enjoy the luggage space the inefficient process bought you.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Speed of boarding can be addressed, but elites who sometimes sit in coach won't like the solution. Complaining about boarding speed is disingenuous because elites (in general) are the problem. If you want to board a plane fast, the last thing you do is board current Group 1, then 2, etc. This clogs up the front of the airplane and quickly results in back-up in the jetway. The obvious solution (if the goal is strictly to board a plane fast) is rear-to-front boarding.

Unfortunately, the fastest possible boarding process precludes elites from getting to storage first. Complain about gate lice irritants and lack of storage all you want, but complaining about boarding speed is a joke when you (me included) are part of the problem.

So, next time it takes 45 minutes to board, just sit back and enjoy the luggage space the inefficient process bought you.
I think you've hit the nail on the head with regard to what has been leaving me scratching my head while reading this thread. I think I mentioned in this thread before that I think two of the goals of this thread are in conflict with each other, but you've expressed it clearer than I was able to phrase it in my mind.

(One note: WilMA boarding would be faster than block [rear-middle-front] boarding.)
Old Feb 13, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by y2k1jetta
Was in E+ last week LAX to IAH and the first 3 rows of E+ aisle seating were 1k people so yes you will sit farther back. I was across from a 1k and another Plat 5 rows back in E+. The first 6 people to board in GRP1 were all going to E+. If your Gold and have any expectations from hub to hub, you need a reset. So much wrong with the domestic airline industry.
no, i choose to sit further back so that I am closer to the OH space where my bag will inevitably end up. E+ access as you know is controlled only by time of booking (unless you are silver) so as I book most of my tickets at least 4-6 wks in advance I usually have unrestricted access to bulkhead. I used to take these seats, or row 8, when I was assured group 1 access. Now I take rows 10+ because by the time I board on group 2 (usually toward the end of the group as I refuse to lice) the OH space is shot from group 1 and/or early group 2 boarders forward of row 10, regardless of where said boarders are sitting. Folks have an uncanny propensity to dump their bag into first available OH bin as soon as they get into coach, even if they are seated in row 21+.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ChicagoDave
This policy tells me that United values credit card holders as much as Silver and Gold members. It's nice to know that someone who pays a $95 annual fee is worth the same to United as someone who flies 74,000 miles. What better way to thank credit card holders? And turn Silver and Gold into gate lice (so they can get overhead bin space)?

There are a lot of different opinions on how the boarding groups should be setup, and they all have their merits. The non-negotiable rules should be all business/first class and elite passengers should board before credit card holders who would get priority boarding before everyone else. I'm not suggesting 3 groups since business/first class and elite passengers can be divided into multiple groups, but the all of these passengers should board before people with a credit card.
The same when it comes to boarding priority, yes. But there are plenty of perks that Silvers and Golds get that CC holder don't (and shouldn't).

Not arguing in favor of the way the boarding groups have been set up - just saying that when you board doesn't represent the totality of "how valuable" you are to United.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, Hyatt PLT, Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Good news, bad news

IIRC we boarded through the second door, so no coach pax will try to take your overhead space

Bad news, this is a DOMESTIC 777, so domestic FC seats, and only overhead projectors.

EmailKid
Thank you both for the information. We record movies and TV shows with WinTV so we will have plenty of personalized entertainment for the trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.