Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Source: https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...g-process.aspx

Pre-Boarding
  • Customers with Disabilities
  • Global Services
  • Uniformed Military Personnel
  • Families with Children Age Two and Under

Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, BusinessFirst, and First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver*, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

*A Star Alliance Silver who is not a Premier Silver is not eligible for Premier Access boarding.

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Aisle Seats

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:57 pm

Programs: Previously 5 year AS Gold 75, UA MM Lifetime Gold
I boarded a flight recently. There were other pax too. I'm pretty sure some of them had never flown UA before, or they fly very rarely. How dare they stand up and get in line...especially if they're within earshot of another gate that's boarding....why can't they understand what's going on!!!!
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by emcsweeney
I boarded a flight recently. There were other pax too. I'm pretty sure some of them had never flown UA before, or they fly very rarely. How dare they stand up and get in line...especially if they're within earshot of another gate that's boarding....why can't they understand what's going on!!!!
I had this problem recently at SJC! (on AA in this case)

Heard F being called (thank you AA for the CPU!), walked up and expected to board.

The announcement was for the next gate over... I was early in line to board my actual flight.

So I stood there at the front of the line for 11 minutes until boarding actually began, at least 3 FT'ers took my picture to demonstrate 'Elite Gate Lice'.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:09 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
total cluster at LAX tonight for 1057 to SFO. group 2 was huuuuuge.

on the plus side, service in F was impressive. PDB of my choice, pretzels, snack choice, hot towel on a 60 minute flight.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:10 am

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by jasonvr
So many people were huddled around the gate that when Group 2 was called it looked like half the plane boarded.
I believe the term is "gate lice."

Lots of times they are not even Group 2 - many are Group 3, 4, or 5.

I have even seen some of them try to board ahead of Group 2, and in many cases they get away with doing so because UA does not consistently enforce the boarding rules.

That said, I connected through IAH this weekend on the way to SEA. My flight into IAH was late, and by the time I got to the gate at IAH, Group 3 and 4 were already boarding. The GA saw my Group 2 pass and stopped Group 3 and 4 to let me board.

^

Originally Posted by Live4Upgrade
Being that UA has people's credit card numbers on file, how about charging $200 fine for boarding with the wrong group? It could be automated process tied into the bar code reader.

HQ should be happy for extra revenue. Group 1 should be happy because it will discourage gate lice.
Even the Silvers and Golds in Group 2 will probably be happy.

More than once have I witnessed Group 3 (or later) pax try to board ahead of actual Premiers.

Edit: Actually, the Golds in Group 2 will probably still be unhappy because they will have to spend time with us Silvers. :P

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 11, 2013 at 11:26 am Reason: merge
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AMEX Plat
I boarded UA1456 at gate 89 last night at SFO. It was the old two lane set-up but I was happy to see that the Group numbers called were being shown on the TVs around the gate. I think this helped a lot, especially for late arriving passengers. I'm Group 1 but arrived when 2 was boarding...boy did I have to stand in a long line...
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
I've got to say, during the weather issues this weekend I was transfered onto a US Air flight SEA-PHL. When they called Zone One 2/3rds of the gate area surged forward.
My opinion, way worse than United. (I was, sadly, towards the end of this line). GA's did cut out the other zoners, but they simply went to the front of the non-moving line and lets face it, there were only 4 of those I saw from the end of the zone 1 line. Zone 1 took 15 min to board, by the end of which, there was no overhead space. Boarding sucks at other airlines too.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Montereybay
I boarded UA1456 at gate 89 last night at SFO. It was the old two lane set-up but I was happy to see that the Group numbers called were being shown on the TVs around the gate. I think this helped a lot, especially for late arriving passengers. I'm Group 1 but arrived when 2 was boarding...boy did I have to stand in a long line...
Wow--that's new, I think; Shannon had mentioned that something like that was coming, so maybe they're trialing it in SFO. It really helps on AS.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by jackal
Wow--that's new, I think; Shannon had mentioned that something like that was coming, so maybe they're trialing it in SFO. It really helps on AS.
I saw it while connecting at ORD near gate B5 (? I think). however, it wasn't too useful as it was stuck on Group 5 the entire time .
Old Feb 11, 2013, 3:23 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Montereybay
I'm Group 1 but arrived when 2 was boarding...boy did I have to stand in a long line...
This is what the folks who say, "You can still board anytime," are really missing w/r/t the PMUA red carpet.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA
I was on a A319 PHL-SFO that had half of the plane board in group 2. The real hilarity ensued getting off the plane when all these group 2 economy plus people tried to get to the back of the plane to get their carry-ons. Fun times.

Why not have 10 groups, or 20 or 50 if that's what it takes. Then have the system combine these groups into just 5 boarding groups depending on the plane, route and the airport. This way they can make all groups be about the same size. I'm sure their current groups work for an average flight, but there aren't very many average flights out there.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by mariof
I was on a A319 PHL-SFO that had half of the plane board in group 2. The real hilarity ensued getting off the plane when all these group 2 economy plus people tried to get to the back of the plane to get their carry-ons. Fun times.

Why not have 10 groups, or 20 or 50 if that's what it takes. Then have the system combine these groups into just 5 boarding groups depending on the plane, route and the airport. This way they can make all groups be about the same size. I'm sure their current groups work for an average flight, but there aren't very many average flights out there.
That's an interesting point -- some people are trying to exit while some people are pushing their way to the back of the plane for their carry-ons. Delays the deboarding time so delays cleaning crew (if any) and turn-around time.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 6:30 pm

Programs: DL DM
Cluster at IAH last week, too. IAH - SFO at 6 PM. Of course everyone on the plane is going to have status and/ or a United credit card. 75% of Bay Area residents have the United credit card. Group 2 was the biggest, by far.

You can sort of tell how many of each status are on the plane if you have gold status by looking at the upgrade list. I was around #14, so that tells me that a huge number of people in that Group 2 were Silver or credit card holders.

I've been impressed with punctuality this year, but it's time to put platinums and golds back in a separate boarding group (I'll keep saying this over and over and over again).
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Two more competing datapoints - ANA high capacity 777s between NRT and TPE right during Chinese New Year - fully loaded, lots of bigger bags, carry-ones, boxes, shopping bags, etc.

Both flights fully boarded in UNDER 30 minutes. While having two boarding jetways did help, one of the first differences was having agents wade into the giant cluster mess and move everyone into 3 distinct single file lines - Business, Star Gold and Economy and they were ruthless in enforcing the priority, even going back into the lines to make sure no one moved where they shouldn't have.

When the doors opened for boarding, instead of a mad rush forward, 3 distinct streams of passengers moved through the process quickly, and once on board, I could see people moved with purpose, put their bags up and sat down immediately, clearing the aisle so no one was gummed up behind them.

If ANA can board 300+ people in 20-25 minutes through two doors, I would hope UA can board 150 people in under 30 minutes through one, right?

Maybe the solution is giving everyone in Group 1 a cattle prod to use on the Group 3-6 passengers who stand in the aisle clueless about where to put their bags or find their seat?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 6:50 am

Programs: UA 1P (w/ no expectations whatsoever); Marriott Gold; Hilton Silver; Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Slightly different approach (seems to echo what many here are saying though):

1 - Me
2 - People fortunate enough to be traveling with me
3 - YOU
4 - Everybody else
Funny! (Yet probably true for many!)
Old Feb 12, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy BS, Hertz & Avis Pres
Originally Posted by AGSF
I've been impressed with punctuality this year, but it's time to put platinums and golds back in a separate boarding group (I'll keep saying this over and over and over again).
+1 on both fronts. Great on-time performance this year and I realize a Gold is far from god's gift to United revenue but we need to board before credit card holders.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.