FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Old Feb 13, 2013, 3:40 pm
jackal
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Speed of boarding can be addressed, but elites who sometimes sit in coach won't like the solution. Complaining about boarding speed is disingenuous because elites (in general) are the problem. If you want to board a plane fast, the last thing you do is board current Group 1, then 2, etc. This clogs up the front of the airplane and quickly results in back-up in the jetway. The obvious solution (if the goal is strictly to board a plane fast) is rear-to-front boarding.

Unfortunately, the fastest possible boarding process precludes elites from getting to storage first. Complain about gate lice irritants and lack of storage all you want, but complaining about boarding speed is a joke when you (me included) are part of the problem.

So, next time it takes 45 minutes to board, just sit back and enjoy the luggage space the inefficient process bought you.
I think you've hit the nail on the head with regard to what has been leaving me scratching my head while reading this thread. I think I mentioned in this thread before that I think two of the goals of this thread are in conflict with each other, but you've expressed it clearer than I was able to phrase it in my mind.

(One note: WilMA boarding would be faster than block [rear-middle-front] boarding.)