Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Source: https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...g-process.aspx

Pre-Boarding
  • Customers with Disabilities
  • Global Services
  • Uniformed Military Personnel
  • Families with Children Age Two and Under

Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, BusinessFirst, and First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver*, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

*A Star Alliance Silver who is not a Premier Silver is not eligible for Premier Access boarding.

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Aisle Seats

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by atcanobbio
i experienced this boarding process for the first time this weekend and I thought it was terrible. As a Gold (ex 1P), I was given group 2, by the time they would call this group, everyone in group two would already be in line. By the time I got to the plane, all bins in the E+ area were taken and I had to go back like 10 rows just to stow away my bag, that's ridiculous. I really believe UA should go back to splitting up the elites in different groups, especially these days when it seems everyone and their grandma has Premier Access. Moreover, lumping a bunch of people into groups like this creates gate lice. I doubt that was not what UA was aiming for. GO BACK TO THE OLD BOARDING PROCESS!
Write to UA please! Let them know!
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1MM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold/SVN 3 Star Elite, ICG Plat Ambassador
What a mess...
Just returned from Maui/HNL and no boarding went smoothly. GS members had to navigate all of us 1K/Platinums, wheelchairs couldn't get through, families with children (looked to be 10 or 12-year olds to me) marched in front of everyone...and one poor soldier in uniform just stood around wondering where to go.
How about this, after disabled and military in uniform -
GS / First Class
1K/Platinum/Gold
Group 1 - Silver/Premier Access
Group 2 - credit carders
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by exerda
..In general, this isn't something which is widely abused IMHO and IME. There aren't often, for example, groups with a 1K and 6 no-status pax, booked on different itins, who all try to board with the 1K.
But I have seen on more than one occasion a person with a "limp" who needs the boarding assistance of 4-5 other people. Disability boarding ought to be limited to wheelchairs and/or walkers plus one able-bodied fellow traveller, not a half-dozen.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by psfcfa
GS / First Class
1K/Platinum/Gold
Group 2 - credit carders
This looks very familiar to me... where have I seen something like this before?? Hmmm??
Old Feb 5, 2013, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA (lame duck)1K, US Plat,HHonors Diamond, PC Plat, SPG Plat, MR Platinum
This new boarding process has quite possibly created the most impressive gatherings of gate lice I've ever witnessed. I stand in amazement watching them gather round in anticipation of me trying to weave my way into group 1.

Is UA paying any attention at all to the monster they've created with this delightful change we all will come to like?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 6:15 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Originally Posted by UATexasFlyer
It seems anyone with a phone boarding pass can board when they want to. I was behind a large man who was proudly displaying his Gold Premier luggage tag who boarded with group 1 and then proceeded to the back of the plane.

No gate agent looks at a phone boarding pass for the tiny group number and folks have figured it out. Just slide your phone boarding pass so your status is not shown but the bar code is and you are instant GS, ready to board.

Is your status is displayed to the GA when your boarding pass is scanned?
No, only your name and seat number.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Left out of C25 at ORD yesterday and they had the 2 Premier lanes separated from the general boarding lanes at a 90 degree angle. They only had 1 general boarding lane...however the Premiers were in their own area. Nice experience since the general boarding lice were about 40 feet away.

I know I'm the optimist but at least it looks like they're making an attempt at taking care of the premiers.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 7:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jkburns1
This new boarding process has quite possibly created the most impressive gatherings of gate lice I've ever witnessed. I stand in amazement watching them gather round in anticipation of me trying to weave my way into group 1.

Is UA paying any attention at all to the monster they've created with this delightful change we all will come to like?
No one will ever accuse me of defending what the current management has done to what used to be the best boarding process around, but my experience on Saturday at IAD and at SFO today suggests that UA might actually be getting their act together. At two elite heavy airports, the gate lice population was tolerable, and more importantly, the GAs followed the script.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by jendrud70
Left out of C25 at ORD yesterday and they had the 2 Premier lanes separated from the general boarding lanes at a 90 degree angle. They only had 1 general boarding lane...however the Premiers were in their own area. Nice experience since the general boarding lice were about 40 feet away.

I know I'm the optimist but at least it looks like they're making an attempt at taking care of the premiers.
Try one of the two lane gates with the new process and lets see if you still sing the same tune.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA*G, UA 1MM
Yesterday, I was in group 5 (out of 5) on a completely full EVA 747 from PEK to TPE and the plane was boarded and buttoned up in 30 minutes. They had three lanes...a dedicated lane for group 1 and two general boarding lanes. They lined group 2 and 3 in the general lanes, and when group 2 had finished boarding they changed the sign to group 4 and got everyone lined up in that lane while group 3 was boarding in the adjacent lane. Same thing happened when group 3 finished, the sign was changed to group 5 and our group lined up while group 4 was boarding.

The process was organized and effortless, in contrast to what I see at most UA gates (outside of Asia).
Old Feb 5, 2013, 8:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
Originally Posted by psfcfa
What a mess...
Just returned from Maui/HNL and no boarding went smoothly. GS members had to navigate all of us 1K/Platinums, wheelchairs couldn't get through, families with children (looked to be 10 or 12-year olds to me) marched in front of everyone...and one poor soldier in uniform just stood around wondering where to go.
GS / First Class
1K/Platinum/Gold
Group 2 - credit carders
That used to be the previous iteration where Golds were group 2, silvers group 3, CCs group 4 and general 5-7...

UA did not like that because there were "too many groups"
Old Feb 5, 2013, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Asia Miles, Hilton HHonors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Emerald Club.
Originally Posted by IflyfromABE
That used to be the previous iteration where Golds were group 2, silvers group 3, CCs group 4 and general 5-7...

UA did not like that because there were "too many groups"
Exactly. Since there are so few non-premier CC holders, it doesn't make sense to create a group solely for them. However, the promotion requires them to have "priority boarding" hence they are lumped together with the silvers.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by mathgeek1978
Exactly. Since there are so few non-premier CC holders, it doesn't make sense to create a group solely for them. However, the promotion requires them to have "priority boarding" hence they are lumped together with the silvers.
and Golds and Star Golds.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Originally Posted by mitchmu
I have become aggressive about checking and on a recent flight I pushed myself ahead of someone clogging up the line with G2. They have turned us into animals. If you do not push and fight, you get trampled and left behind. It is sick.
And unfortunately this adds to the issue. Not you personally, but the fact that there are so many people there, one has to push through, which causes others to push forward.

I watched as one group 1 person tried to push through 3-4 layers of us group 1 people. It wasnt until the second layer he got through that he realized he was only pushing himself up to the front of his own group. Rude. Someone stopped him right in his tracks. Folks, if you are going to navigate through people before boarding, be damn certain you are at least a GS.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
I came back from a trip over this weekend. My experience was good for the most part, but it is probably due to a few things. The first flight this past Saturday was RDU-IAD on an ERJ-145. I was group 2, and the GA did a good job of making sure people boarded by correct group number. This was not a big plane, so the issue of not enough space did not really apply. The problem was landing a few minutes late and waiting 15 minutes for someone to bring the stairs to get off the RJ. Because of that, I was one of the last to board my IAD-LAX flight. I did not get to see the huge mess of boarding at IAD.

On the return flights, I was upgraded on LAX-SFO which was a 737-900. I had group 1, and the GA did the preboarding for GS and gave enough time for GS to board. The guy in front of me in group 1 had a long Eastern European name which caused a small delay when the computer system did not recognize his name. Other than that, it seemed like everything was fine.

I did not get upgraded on SFO-RDU, and I was in group 2 for this flight on a 737-800. This flight boarded from gate 77b, and the flight was not full (lots of empty middle seats in the front of economy - only 18 E+ seats on the plane). I had a whole exit row to myself. The GA for this flight gave even more time for preboarding GS. I had a good feeling that she would not let boarding a full 757-300 turn into a zoo.

I was glad to see that the GAs in LAX and SFO were giving each group enough time to board and checking group numbers. I think they are trying to make it work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.