Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Source: https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...g-process.aspx

Pre-Boarding
  • Customers with Disabilities
  • Global Services
  • Uniformed Military Personnel
  • Families with Children Age Two and Under

Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, BusinessFirst, and First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver*, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

*A Star Alliance Silver who is not a Premier Silver is not eligible for Premier Access boarding.

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Aisle Seats

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by njcommodore
Yes, the hyperbole and mass hysteria have been entertaining.
Spoken like a true CO Stockholm Syndrome, hub locked fan.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Don't knock AA boarding til you've tried it - on my ~20 segments on AA last year, their process vs. UA is like night and day. F and top tier actually boards first. Wide lines are nice. No gate lice. No bottleneck in front of the lines.

There is a difference.
+1 AA boarding is simple and efficient ^
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by qvzn

Let's look at it from United's perspective: It's possible--just possible--that they ran the numbers and genuinely tried to IMPROVE the boarding process for everyone. Maybe they even did a good job (we won't really know for some weeks/months probably, and even then we won't all agree). And this thread is the thanks they get JUST FOR TRYING--because they forgot to account for the FEELINGS of those elites (spending 30k!) that apparently have the emotional stability of a 4 year-old girl, and they didn't realize that THIS IS MY DOLLY!! MINE!
-
With all due respect, there is a major flaw in your reasoning. You are ignoring a major issue.

For example, take the gold status. It is either/or 50 thousand flying miles each year or it is a million-miler.

A million-miler had to spend many years flying ONLY on UA aircraft and had to spend close to $300 thousand dollars in air fare to UA in order to fly one million miles.

Until the Continental management took over, the golds were second to board, after 1K (ignoring GS).

This meant that the golds would be certain to get overhead space for their legal carry on luggage. This gold status is an earned benefit, not an entitlement.

Furthermore, it costs UA nothing to allow the golds to board behind the 1Ks which would mean an acknowledgment of the loyalty of million-milers.

Now, with the new boarding policy, those million-mile customers who stayed loyal to UA for years to earn million-mile status (gold status), must fight through the boarding line with passengers who might fly only once in a while but have paid for a Chase Bank credit card.

Most reasonable people agree that someone who has paid UA more than one quarter of a million dollars over the years should not have to worry about losing over head bin space to a passenger who simply got a credit card.

That is the issue. Feelings or egos have nothing to do with this. I am puzzled why you do not see this fact.
-

Last edited by dgcpaphd; Jan 11, 2013 at 6:34 pm
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HHonors Gold
I don't fly AA as much admittedly, however I mainly fly out of ORD and the few times I've flown AA I still see lane congestion by lice. I think it's inevitable if the set up is 2 lanes side by side. I boarded an ORD-NRT out of B17 a few weeks back. They had set up specific lanes for each group...it was beautiful. Talk about keeping the crowds in control. I'd take that any day over the current process.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Don't knock AA boarding til you've tried it - on my ~20 segments on AA last year, their process vs. UA is like night and day. F and top tier actually boards first. Wide lines are nice. No gate lice. No bottleneck in front of the lines.

There is a difference.
Pffff! I was an EXP on AA for 6 years. Now a newly minted 1K since November 2011.

While I don't like having the unwashed Plats as part of my boarding group this morning my LGA-ORD elite heavy flight it was really no big deal.

Yes there have been bumps in the pmCO and pmUA merger. Just waiting to see how the happy ex-UA 1Ks and GSs over on AA like the US/HPdbaAA merger.

Seriously, the culture of negativity on the FT UA board is beyond belief.

I joined FT to learn how to maximize my benefits on the FF experience.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 11, 2013 at 6:38 pm Reason: unnecessary
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
Now, with the new boarding policy, those million-mile customers who stayed loyal to UA for years to earn million-mile status (gold status), must fight through the boarding line with passengers who might fly only once in a while but has paid for a Chase Bank credit card.

Most reasonable people agree that someone who has paid UA more than one quarter of a million dollars over the years should not have to worry about losing over head bin space to a passenger who simply got a credit card.

That is the issue. Feelings or egos have nothing to do with this. I am puzzled why you do not see this fact.
-
Do you happen to know how many of these horrible credit card customers there are taking your precious overhead space? I never saw the "old" group 4 (card holders) with many people. As a Gold...never have I had to fight for overhead if I board with my group. If it's the premise of the CC holders that you're upset about...I understand that to a certain extent. In day to day travel though, I really don't see it as a big impact to my actual boarding.

I get upgrades...the CC holders don't. So in the event I get my upgrade to first...i board in first.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:41 pm
RNE

Even I (a card carrying "Bronze" Premier) can't argue with those who decry the Group 2 boarding priority I enjoy. It's crazy for UA to do this. Even more so given that I am grandfathered in at a mere $375 annual fee.

RNE, asking rhetorically, if UA wants to dump such largess into my lap, what am I supposed to say, no?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by fahrradman
Pffff! I was an EXP on AA for 6 years. Now a newly minted 1K since November 2011.

While I don't like having the unwashed Plats as part of my boarding group this morning my LGA-ORD elite heavy flight it was really no big deal.

Yes there have been bumps in the pmCO and pmUA merger. Just waiting to see how the happy ex-UA 1Ks and GSs over on AA like the US/HPdbaAA merger.

Seriously, the culture of negativity on the FT UA board is beyond belief.

I joined FT to learn how to maximize my benefits on the FF experience.
I haven't seen much evidence anyone here is forced to check bags because they weren't standing in line before the zone is called.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 11, 2013 at 6:56 pm Reason: off-topic
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:45 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Devyan1
Just got back from a trip with the supposed new changes:

1) Crowding was not minimized
2) Passengers knew when to board but did not care
3) Congestion was same as alwways
4) New process was implemented on first flight...second flight (Express) they called all groups at the same time)
5) Neither impacted departure
My experience:

1) Crowding was much minimized.
2) Not my experience
3) Agreed
4) Ditto
5) Ditto

Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
...For me boarding is such a minor issue, as both a silver and a gold I have always been able to stow my carry on... Inflight is so much more important)
^

The only time when I have found it more than a minor issue when I have a bulkhead seat.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by Clarkcc1
Welcome DWGnyc! Apologies for associating you with woodwork, by the way, I'm sure you're awesome

Shocker Shannon has gone silent...... [crickets.wav]
What do you want her to say? She's not going to say "You folks are right! Policy rescinded and to make amends we are throwing out SHARES and going back to Apollo." She has engaged the board, addressed some questions and as the pitchfork brigade bang their chests on the board, what else is there for her to do? We should move into participating and reporting. This might be an improvement even if far from perfect.

/rant
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
Now, with the new boarding policy, those million-mile customers who stayed loyal to UA for years to earn million-mile status (gold status), must fight through the boarding line with passengers who might fly only once in a while but have paid for a Chase Bank credit card.

I definitely see your point--that on paper, this is a major devaluation/slap-in-the-face/whatever, and it looks grossly unfair to lump those CC holders (who might not even have had to PAY anything for that card) with those who "earned" status. It looks bad. I concede that, but "looks bad" is a gut FEELING

However, whether it's a big deal IN PRACTICE remains to be seen. We don't know how many non-elite CC holders there are--but United does. If they're right and there aren't many, then there's no RATIONAL reason, prima facie, to dislike this change. Until reports start coming in that Golds are having to gate-check their carryon (or salmon, or whatever), the reactions are entirely emotional

Here's Shannon's take on this, from upthread:

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi ftizzy, your experience is not uncommon. Philosophically, we realize that having credit cardholders board at the same time as Premier Gold members doesn’t feel like it will make for a less congested experience. However, generally speaking, these members tend not to be the most frequent travelers, and those who are often end up in the priority lanes because they already have Premier status.
Hypothetical: If overhead space wasn't an issue for whatever reason (enforcement at checkin, super duper bag compression, whatever), do you think we'd be getting the same reactions? I think everyone would be just as indignant even if it didn't matter for O/H space--because they just WANT THE DOLLY and to be seen as RECOGNIZED and IMPORTANT and SPECIAL. Just like every other princess
Old Jan 11, 2013, 7:02 pm

Programs: 1K, MM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jendrud70
...Maybe I'll wait and see what happens before I threaten to "take my business elsewhere!" Oh and where shall I do that? Delta? same thing. American? same thing...all lousy boarding with lice clogging up the entry...Just get on board and order a drink...settle down.
I believe that many of us have developed a "liking" for UAL after flying on them for 20-30 years and have succeeded in business for the exact opposite reasons UALdbaCO is failing now. Our expectations were set and now we have to change them, I get it.

What I find interesting are some new posters have no airline, hotel or other program credentials...could it be after the posting on CNBC and other sites that $misek told some company promoters to try to offer a view defending what was once a good airline and tell them over entitled elites on FT to "settle down"?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
I haven't seen much evidence anyone here is forced to check bags because they weren't standing in line before the zone is called.
Frankly if this is something that gets one riled up, one really needs to do a sanity check.

It's a free market folks. Take your business elsewhere. But the endless rants grow tiresome. We all make choices (hopefully) on where we put out travel dollars. My travel patterns allow me to choose either AA or UA. I chose UA. Minor .... over boarding order priority, if that's so important to you just leave.

Seriously.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 7:03 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by qvzn
Hypothetical: If overhead space wasn't an issue for whatever reason (enforcement at checkin, super duper bag compression, whatever), do you think we'd be getting the same reactions? I think everyone would be just as indignant even if it didn't matter for O/H space--because they just WANT THE DOLLY and to be seen as RECOGNIZED and IMPORTANT and SPECIAL. Just like every other princess
We get it; some people don't care.

However, don't insult those of us who do by claiming it's some kind of need for ego-stroking.

Originally Posted by fahrradman
Frankly if this is something that gets one riled up, one really needs to do a sanity check.

It's a free market folks. Take your business elsewhere. But the endless rants grow tiresome. We all make choices (hopefully) on where we put out travel dollars. My travel patterns allow me to choose either AA or UA. I chose AA. Minor .... over boarding order priority, if that's so important to you just leave.

Seriously.
Is this a big enough deal in and of itself to go elsewhere? Of course not.

I can see where it's the proverbial straw which broke the camel's back, though: the latest in a long trend of benefit devaluations. Frankly, there's your sanity check.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 11, 2013 at 7:13 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 11, 2013, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by seagar
I believe that many of us have developed a "liking" for UAL after flying on them for 20-30 years and have succeeded in business for the exact opposite reasons UALdbaCO is failing now. Our expectations were set and now we have to change them, I get it.

What I find interesting are some new posters have no airline, hotel or other program credentials...could it be after the posting on CNBC and other sites that $misek told some company promoters to try to offer a view defending what was once a good airline and tell them over entitled elites on FT to "settle down"?
Yes...you got me. Jeff and I are tight. And he spends much of his day worried about FT. I'll let him know that you are on to him...any other requests for Jeff?

My only point in settle down is...the old process was brutal. They are trying something new. Until I get to try it...I won't threaten to take my business elsewhere. As I mentioned before, not many options anyways. If it works out good then we benefit...if not then UAL gets hurt and they'll be forced to change it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.