Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Source: https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...g-process.aspx

Pre-Boarding
  • Customers with Disabilities
  • Global Services
  • Uniformed Military Personnel
  • Families with Children Age Two and Under

Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, BusinessFirst, and First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver*, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

*A Star Alliance Silver who is not a Premier Silver is not eligible for Premier Access boarding.

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Aisle Seats

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2013, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Clarkcc1
Exactly. This change is really bringing them out of the woodwork... That speaks louder than us usual suspects to the ire UA has brought upon themselves so brilliantly.
I guess people do read CNBC .
Old Jan 11, 2013, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by njcommodore
and when they SEE the boarding process in action, after a couple weeks of transition, this will quickly fade.
We won't see it. As a "first timer", I am shooting over the UA bow. Retract or lose me and the $20-30K per year +/- that my personal business flights (incl. employee coordinated/influenced fares) and personal family flights will go elsewhere.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by DWGnyc
We won't see it. As a "first timer", I am shooting over the UA bow. Retract or lose me and the $20-30K per year +/- that my personal business flights (incl. employee coordinated/influenced fares) and personal family flights will go elsewhere.
Welcome DWGnyc! Apologies for associating you with woodwork, by the way, I'm sure you're awesome

Shocker Shannon has gone silent...... [crickets.wav]
Old Jan 11, 2013, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by njcommodore
and when they SEE the boarding process in action, after a couple weeks of transition, this will quickly fade.
Of course, especially since every single gate in the system will have 5 lanes in a couple weeks, all GAs will go right from the script, and the "YOU'RE IN" advertising campaign will come to a screeching halt
Old Jan 11, 2013, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by vnatraj
You clearly didn't read my post before going off on your rant. I was mentioning that a lot of people don't seem to have basic compassion for people in need. Where did I talk about entitlement? Anyway, since you brought it up, I think (yes, think) GS'es are entitled to a better boarding priority than 1K, who are entitled to a better boarding priority than Plats, and so on. They have earned it.
I read your post, and except for the first two sentences, the rest of the rant wasn't directed at you specifically. Earnings and entitlements aside, boarding is a VERY TRIVIAL and SHORT part of the entire travel experience, and the backlash here (even before any facts or personal experiences) is astounding. It's like we're in elementary school fighting over the place in line so I can go to recess first (i.e., about 2 seconds before everybody else)

Maybe it's just shadenfreude--boarding early makes you happy since you're seen as "winning" against your fellow man. Why else would a GS/1K even give one thought to the boarding group or boarding process? My post upthread with a similar theme:

Originally Posted by qvzn
How much people here care about the boarding process is truly impressive. Really, if you're in the first 50% on the plane, you'll probably get your overhead space. Priority boarding is hardly the make it or break it benefit that everyone makes it sound like. I think the outlash is visceral--because STATUS means I have PRIORITY so I should get to GO FIRST!!! But I was here FIRST!! No cuts!

I wish the groups were reversed--load the kettles onto the plane first, then the silvers and CCs, then golds, 1ks, etc. Why should a GS have to spend time waiting for freight to load itself?
rants-are-fun-ly-y'rs,

qvzn, now boarding with group 59
Old Jan 11, 2013, 5:25 pm

I read your post, and except for the first two sentences, the rest of the rant wasn't directed at you specifically. Earnings and entitlements aside, boarding is a VERY TRIVIAL and SHORT part of the entire travel experience, and the backlash here (even before any facts or personal experiences) is astounding. It's like we're in elementary school fighting over the place in line so I can go to recess first (i.e., about 2 seconds before everybody else)

Maybe it's just shadenfreude--boarding early makes you happy since you're seen as "winning" against your fellow man. Why else would a GS/1K even give one thought to the boarding group or boarding process? My post upthread with a similar theme:

rants-are-fun-ly-y'rs,

qvzn, now boarding with group 59

For me and many on here it isn't about the actual order. I am often one of the last to board but appreciate a fast track to the front of the line. It IS about the ridiculous notion that people who fly a lot (ok some aren't profitable but most are) should be prioritized at the same level as ma and pa who signed up for a credit card. That is a slap in the face to somebody who might (and many have reported) spending $30K a year on your main line of business- flying.

It really isn't 'astounding' as you proclaim - were there more balance in the general tone of this thread such an adjective might have a shot at legitimacy.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 5:34 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by edcho
Not that I expected anything, but I got my word in w/ UA and got a reply.

Dear xxxxxxx:
<SNIP>

Please know your business and goodwill are never taken for granted by our airline, and we will strive always to meet your expectations of clean, safe and reliable air transportation coupled with exemplary customer service.

<SNIP>
Executive Services, United Airlines
Corporate Customer Care
. Bolding mine.

Thanks for posting their reply! I dare anyone from Executive Services to say this with a straight face to a room full of legacy UA MM flyers.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
I still continue to be amazed (in a good way) how many FT lurkers this has brought out of the fray. When a process change pisses people off enough that they go through the effort to open a FT account just so they can join the discussion you can bet that you've royally screwed something up.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by zoegksf

What I also now find interesting is the number of first time posters in this thread. It isn't just us over-entitled FT old timers.
-
I agree.

And, that fact should be a message to UA management.

There are a lot of unhappy customers because of this new and ridiculous "Boarding Process Change" just announced with only a two day warning.

Didn't UA management learn anything from the poor traffic results it had since the demotions to the MP program were announced?

This latest boarding change will undoubtedly cause even more customers to take advantage of status matches offered by AA and Delta. That will be more money lost by UA to other air carriers because of the shabby treatment of loyal customers.

The merger could have been a success for UA. The traffic and financial results could have been excellent given the combined routes and resources.

However, for reasons that make no sense, the new management gutted the PM/UA Mileage Plus program and now they are making a circus of the boarding priority. What other clueless policy is next on the agenda of the Houston crew?
-
Old Jan 11, 2013, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Clarkcc1
For me and many on here it isn't about the actual order. I am often one of the last to board but appreciate a fast track to the front of the line. It IS about the ridiculous notion that people who fly a lot (ok some aren't profitable but most are) should be prioritized at the same level as ma and pa who signed up for a credit card. That is a slap in the face to somebody who might (and many have reported) spending $30K a year on your main line of business- flying.
So, the benefit itself is less important than the warm fuzzy feeling you get when you feel that the airline truly appreciates you? (Collective "you", mind--not you personally)

I'm not sure which is worse... after all, the airline is not a doll house nor a significant other

If the reports that non-elite CC holders are relatively few turn out to be true, will the above--"slap in the face"--still apply?

Let's look at it from United's perspective: It's possible--just possible--that they ran the numbers and genuinely tried to IMPROVE the boarding process for everyone. Maybe they even did a good job (we won't really know for some weeks/months probably, and even then we won't all agree). And this thread is the thanks they get JUST FOR TRYING--because they forgot to account for the FEELINGS of those elites (spending 30k!) that apparently have the emotional stability of a 4 year-old girl, and they didn't realize that THIS IS MY DOLLY!! MINE!

Why do you think they did it? Maybe they just like taking candy from a baby. This change was ALL COSTS and NO SAVINGS for United. Clearly they just wanna make you squirm--for their own personal amusement

Originally Posted by TommyC80
I still continue to be amazed (in a good way) how many FT lurkers this has brought out of the fray. When a process change pisses people off enough that they go through the effort to open a FT account just so they can join the discussion you can bet that you've royally screwed something up.
Yes, the collective wisdom of the lurkers is no match for UA management...

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 11, 2013 at 6:22 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:03 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by mitchmu
I don't think this is an American thing. I think this is a CO thing. UA never did this. Only started happening after CO took control of UA.

Do any other US airlines do this?
US Airways does. Military is after preboarding but before First Class/ Envoy.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HHonors Gold
I've been lurking for quite some time...after reading the 68 pages I now feel compelled to post. The complaining here is astounding given the fact that we haven't even seen how the boarding group change will actually impact us. I'm a Gold...I'm supposed to be angry now I guess. Maybe I'll wait and see what happens before I threaten to "take my business elsewhere!" Oh and where shall I do that? Delta? same thing. American? same thing...all lousy boarding with lice clogging up the entry. I was Delta Gold medallion a few years back with my previous company...since I've changed to United with my current company I really don't see a big difference. Some nicer lie flat on UA than Delta...some worse. Some better perks on Delta...some worse. Bottom line, we have 3 choices if we fly a mix of domestic and Intl destinations frequently. Relax...this mysterious credit card holder that's sending you into fits may or many not be in front of you. You won't know unless you're so shallow that you actually ask the person what their status is. Just get on board and order a drink...settle down.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:10 pm

Welcome to FT, jendrud70! A first post with some reason

Originally Posted by jendrud70
Oh and where shall I do that? Delta? same thing. American? same thing...all lousy boarding with lice clogging up the entry. I was Delta Gold medallion a few years back
This is a point many posters here seem to be completely missing. Of course, United is quite well aware that they can reliably churn low-level elites

Just get on board and order a drink...settle down.
^
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:12 pm

So, the benefit itself is less important than the warm fuzzy feeling you get when you feel that the airline truly appreciates you? (Collective "you", mind--not you personally)

I'm not sure which is worse... after all, the airline is not a doll house nor a significant other

If the reports that non-elite CC holders are relatively few turn out to be true, will the above--"slap in the face"--still apply?

Let's look at it from United's perspective: It's possible--just possible--that they ran the numbers and genuinely tried to IMPROVE the boarding process for everyone. Maybe they even did a good job (we won't really know for some weeks/months probably, and even then we won't all agree). And this thread is the thanks they get JUST FOR TRYING--because they forgot to account for the FEELINGS of those elites (spending 30k!) that apparently have the emotional stability of a 4 year-old girl, and they didn't realize that THIS IS MY DOLLY!! MINE!

Why do you think they did it? Maybe they just like taking candy from a baby. This change was ALL COSTS and NO SAVINGS for United. Clearly they just wanna make you squirm--for their own personal amusement
There are a lot of things I'd love to poke holes in about your comment but the point of a LOYALTY program is to increase the stickiness of your customers to your brand (company) and when boneheaded decisions like this are made you are actively disincentivizing people to be LOYAL.

I believe COdbaUA execs listened to McKinsey type consultants who are paid to find ways to maximize short term profit. They have been told things like TODs, devaluing MM'ers who have helped make UA what it is today, etc etc will increase the bottom line without fully realizing the longer term consequences of those short term actions [see ongoing exodus of previously very profitable frequent fliers to other airlines and the crappy financial results compared to peers post 3/3/12]. Yes TODs make a flight today earn a couple more bucks but alienates somebody who paid a higher fare for the chance at the upgrade vs. lowest fare available. This boarding change reaffirms the execs seem to be OK with alienating their most valuable customers.

Rant over.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I've been lurking for quite some time...after reading the 68 pages I now feel compelled to post. The complaining here is astounding given the fact that we haven't even seen how the boarding group change will actually impact us. I'm a Gold...I'm supposed to be angry now I guess. Maybe I'll wait and see what happens before I threaten to "take my business elsewhere!" Oh and where shall I do that? Delta? same thing. American? same thing...all lousy boarding with lice clogging up the entry.
Don't knock AA boarding til you've tried it - on my ~20 segments on AA last year, their process vs. UA is like night and day. F and top tier actually boards first. Wide lines are nice. No gate lice. No bottleneck in front of the lines.

There is a difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.