Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Source: https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...g-process.aspx

Pre-Boarding
  • Customers with Disabilities
  • Global Services
  • Uniformed Military Personnel
  • Families with Children Age Two and Under

Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, BusinessFirst, and First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver*, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

*A Star Alliance Silver who is not a Premier Silver is not eligible for Premier Access boarding.

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Aisle Seats

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2013, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Feedback so far

Just completed 2 segments with the new system. I took pics which I will upload later. First from LAX to IAH. Red eye mid con (ugh.... as someone else mentioned, friends don't let friends fly red eye mid cons). The GA was very clear about new boarding process and asked firmly twice DO NOT APPROACH until you group is called. Also said twice DO NOT BLOCK the entry. For the first time in my last 10 segments I was able to actually walk right up when GS was called.. Also, I noticed that the GA did not proceed to group 1 until I was down the walkway, so plenty of time to ensure other GS could make it.

Then came IAH to FLL. Opposite in all regards. GA did not say anything to set expectations. Lice were everywhere at t-5. Called out military, waited 3 seconds, called out GS and without any pause also Group 1. I stood well back as always until boarding call, and was only able to be mid pack of about 25 people in group 1.

Morale is it is all up to how the GA does their job. If they do it well, this system (and I think any system) works well. If not, then not.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 8:34 pm

Just made Gold for the first time in life. What a way to welcome a new elite member! Half the flight will now board with my group. The old days of gate-checking my carry on are coming back.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, *G, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
This new boarding process sucks!!! Was just on a flight from PHL-IAH in Paid F. Arrived at the gate 5 minutes before boarding and they had already started boarding Group 1. By the time I had gotten on the plane all of the overhead bins in F were full as well as every bind back to row 21. I gate checked my bag instead of playing salmon at the end of my flight. there were 3 other PAX in F that did the exact same thing. Another PAX in F decided to put his bag in row 22. he waited in an F seat until the plane cleared to get his bag. PATHETIC on all accounts.

There is no longer any benefit to being a 1K member. It is a travesty that you have to be a GS in order to get any kind of special treatment. I guess 100K+ miles doesn't mean anything to $misek. Looks like I am going to take a status match with AA. Speaking with my $$$.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
[QUOTE=GoAmtrak;20021896]I'm sorry, but let's not pretend that we don't all have parochial interests to protect. 75K is a lot of flying and as a PP I'm sure you feel that the recognition of Group 1 is proper. It's positive that UA retained both the PP and 1K levels. But I think you're comparing apples to oranges. PMUA 1Ks were used an exclusive boarding lane that had no lower tiers, not just a higher boarding priority.

At some point you have to exclude lower tiers to make it really work.

[\QUOTE]

I fully agree with you. You and other 1Ks have flown more than me and hence deserve higher priority. No question about that. My main issue is with 1Ks who would love to board with GSes and then proceed to give pious statements about why Plats should not board with them. By the same token, Plats should before Golds and so on.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by blueman2

Then came IAH to FLL. Opposite in all regards. GA did not say anything to set expectations. Lice were everywhere at t-5. Called out military, waited 3 seconds, called out GS and without any pause also Group 1. I stood well back as always until boarding call, and was only able to be mid pack of about 25 people in group 1.

Morale is it is all up to how the GA does their job. If they do it well, this system (and I think any system) works well. If not, then not.
I blame the boarding group 1 on the GS pass for that behavior. Happens 9 out of 10 times to me.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by vnatraj
I think families with small kids (< 5 years old) should be allowed to pre-board.
No. It's been abused too often.

Originally Posted by halls120
Credit cards and "all elites are equal" are 2 of the primary reasons boarding is a mess.
I think it's been noted that the credit card users w/o status are very few. It's just the number of elites.

Maybe UA ought to increase the hurdle for elite levels - maybe to 50k/100k/150k. That ought to thin the ranks at the top. Also make CC holders purchase W fare or higher to get priority boarding. They could still advertise "Priority Boarding" but with an * and the requisite small print.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 10, 2013 at 9:31 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 10, 2013, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by TommyC80
If anyone has Scott McCartney's email address from the WSJ, this would make an interesting follow up story from his lambasting of United in last week's column.

I'm going to post something about this thread on his twitter feed. If some of you jump in, we might be able to get some media attention on this. https://mobile.twitter.com/MiddleSeat

Threads on FT with 50000+ views in 3 days tend to get some attention
You could always just PM him. His username is mccartneys.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
No. It's been abused too often.
So you are saying that a mom with a 6-month old infant should not be allowed to pre board just because others have abused the privilege?

Originally Posted by aacharya
And it would be abused. Just like preboarding is for Newark to FL flights.

Humanity only works when it is accepted with decency.
Agreed. The GAs should enforce the rule and prevent abuse. I still think legitimate cases shoud at the very least be treated on a case by case basis with clear instructions given to GAs on what to look for.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 10, 2013 at 10:04 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 10, 2013, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by vnatraj
So you are saying that a mom with a 6-month old infant should not be allowed to pre board just because others have abused the privilege?
Sure. Then what about that same mom who then brings two parents a Fifteen year old nephew and four carryons with them.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by airarchtx
This new boarding process sucks!!! Was just on a flight from PHL-IAH in Paid F. Arrived at the gate 5 minutes before boarding and they had already started boarding Group 1. By the time I had gotten on the plane all of the overhead bins in F were full as well as every bind back to row 21. I gate checked my bag instead of playing salmon at the end of my flight. there were 3 other PAX in F that did the exact same thing. Another PAX in F decided to put his bag in row 22. he waited in an F seat until the plane cleared to get his bag. PATHETIC on all accounts.

There is no longer any benefit to being a 1K member. It is a travesty that you have to be a GS in order to get any kind of special treatment. I guess 100K+ miles doesn't mean anything to $misek. Looks like I am going to take a status match with AA. Speaking with my $$$.
Blame your fellow F pax. I have NEVER seen Y pax place their bags in F starting w Group 1. The F pax and FAs normally enforce it as well.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
On SEA-SFO tonight. A319 63 premier members based on list and upgrades. Group one was about ~30 but it appeared smooth. everyone quickly stowing bags and etc.

On the SFO-IAD redeye. 752. It is also a premier-fest something like 70 total premier. Will see how it goes. It is not at one of the newly organized gates.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... I have NEVER seen Y pax place their bags in F starting w Group 1. The F pax and FAs normally enforce it as well.
Have seen it happen, infrequent but not always enforced by FA
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:22 pm

Programs: AC UA TK FI DL
Sure. Then what about that same mom who then brings two parents a Fifteen year old nephew and four carryons with them.
+1
a baby should never be used (or allowed to be used) as a priority boarding pass!
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:22 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hertz Gold, HHonors Gold
Blame your fellow F pax. I have NEVER seen Y pax place their bags in F starting w Group 1. The F pax and FAs normally enforce it as well.
They sneak in now and then. I see it often on 757-200s.

Well, my 2 cents on this matter is that Group 1 is too big, GS should go first after families with kids, military, disabled, as pre board. Or GS + 1K. should be in 1 group. The Plat and Gold in second group. Credit card and silver in 3rd group. Then general suckers.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:42 pm

In that situation let the mom and infant pre board and ask the rest to board with their boarding group.

Edit: that was a reply to aacharya's post. Sorry first time using the iPhone app.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.