Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Source: https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...g-process.aspx

Pre-Boarding
  • Customers with Disabilities
  • Global Services
  • Uniformed Military Personnel
  • Families with Children Age Two and Under

Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, BusinessFirst, and First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver*, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

*A Star Alliance Silver who is not a Premier Silver is not eligible for Premier Access boarding.

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Aisle Seats

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:10 am

Programs: Silver MileagePlus, Diamond Hilton
Anyone have pics of the gates with "premium duel bypass lanes"
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:12 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Bigger does not mean Better I guess. That is why I hate all these mergers because all the things that fall through the cracks. Alot of employees not on the same page with regard to all the rules. I see that survey where UA came in dead last.

I miss Work Hard, Fly Right
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:13 am

Programs: 3 Month Delta Plat, UA PP 2.4mm, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Lifetime Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by mitchmu
There are two remaining benefits to 1k:

1. A 1k can fail to get upgraded with higher priority than anyone else, and
2. A 1k can get some GPUs and RPUs that won't clear
LOL! Yes.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:14 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by Lori_Q
As a 1K, I agree that the recognition isn't what it used to be.
Agree

UA knows how many elites it has on each flight, and this may be how they've decided to balance the loading of bodies & bags. A lot of Platinums fly in elite classes, so there may be a lot of overlap in this population anyway.
Agree

It's easy to gripe about the lack of specialness of 1K, but it's important to remember that Platinum is pretty special too. 75k BIS miles is a lot of miles -- and a lot of loyalty. If this boarding configuration works well enough, I think the Platinums should have this perquisite.
Agree
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by COEWR2587
Anyone have pics of the gates with "premium duel bypass lanes"
i would definitely go for a 'premium duel' if it meant i got to board sooner than the person i beat .

i would imagine that they look a lot like the gates they were toying around with on long haul aircraft at ORD that had 5 possible lanes that under the previous system were designated BG1,2-4,5,6,7 except now the 2-4 sign just says "2".

Last edited by PV_Premier; Jan 10, 2013 at 11:23 am
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:44 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by maradori
Probably similar stuff has been posted already but ohhman I am not going to wade through 48 pages to find out.

Flew back home yesterday and took a shot of SFO Gate 73

(if the image doesn't load, try http://sdrv.ms/XLCMiq)

Cell phone camera isn't that good, but I think Group 5 is the one closer to the window and Group 7 is the one closer to the right edge of the picture.
Holy geez! (Not really what I want to say, but profanity isn't allowed on this forum.)

Am I crazy, or did this new setup knock out half of the gate area seating at 73/73A?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Critic
Holy geez! (Not really what I want to say, but profanity isn't allowed on this forum.)

Am I crazy, or did this new setup knock out half of the gate area seating at 73/73A?
Haha. I almost mistook it as a check-in area the first time I saw it.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist,
In my work experience we see that a lot of behavior in a situation depends upon how things start out, and the tone set from the beginning of a process. For the boarding process, it seems that a lot of how it goes depends on what happens with the first group (and I realize there are a lot of folks pushing in who are not group 1 but push in anyway). When you add the problem that there is zero incentive to hold back, and a lot of incentive to elbow your way in because of things like the overhead situation, of course it will be a mess.

One big problem with the boarding process since the merger is that having "pre board" then group 1 causes problems from the start. The problem is exacerbated by the lack of enforcement, but the solution in most work situations is not to order more enforcement, but to create a process that works in real world situations without having to resort to police state-like behavior. In the long run, organizations can never consistently police things-they need to rely on a process that self regulates.

Here is what I typically see at the airport now: Even if the crowd is relatively well behaved and everyone sits or stands back, as soon as ANYONE starts to gather near the ropes, EVERYONE starts massing. We can speculate why people feel compelled to do this, any maybe solving the overhead bid issue would help, but the reality now is that this happens, regardless of the underlying cause. It is just crowd mentality.

So how to you fix it? Enforcement helps, but with large crowds, what works better is to have a system that encourages self policing and better behavior. The old United boarding process did this, Under the old system, it was absolutely clear that the first and only group on the red carpet was 1st, GS, 1k, so they all lined up, and the next group could line up on the other side (or at least the Premier Execs could). There was some massing, but at least some certainly from the start. If you want to see a great example of this type of solution carried to a very effective extreme, board a WN flight. It simply works- people see the signs, and figure it out, and line up. of course, WN also allows free checked bags, removing a big part of the incentive to need all the bin space.

Under the current process, you still have a lot of milling and massing because, technically NO ONE is supposed to line up- you have to wait for "pre boarding" on the "elite" carpet. Group 1, meanwhile, feels compelled to line up, but not in an orderly way, since they are not supposed to be in the chute yet, so they clog the entry, sort of half in/half out of the chute.

And yes, other factors exacerbate the problem. At many airport, it is impossible to hear the announcements, there are not enough seats, they call groups too close together, the groups numbers versus names like "priority" and "premiere" totally confuses people. Just yesterday at BOS, I was standing behind a very loud passenger arguing that yes he could board now, because he had "priority boarding".

The new process does nothing to address this "from the start" problem, unless you also have a dedicated "pre board" line.

Overall, having few groups can certainly provide more certainly and better boarding process, but not the way UA has chosen to do it.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Critic

does this mean each brand of gate lice now gets their own holding pen?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Response summary

GS: "Everyone's in my way!"
1Ks: "Why do Plats get to board with me?"
Plats: "Gee, I get to board with 1Ks now!"
Golds: "Why do Silvers and CC holders get to board with me?"
Silvers: "Why do CC holders get to board with me?"
CC Holders: "How come I don't get to board with GS?"
GMs: "What's going on?"

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 10, 2013 at 12:25 pm
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Giving my grandma, who has the united explorer card (and 2,048 lifetime miles with UA) the same boarding group as me is absolutely asinine.

Who comes up with this?

(Note: I am dropping to gold next month)

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 10, 2013 at 12:31 pm Reason: language
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I think this has been said but CC holders should not be grouped with any elites, not even silvers! Even a *S - which most around here pass in a month or two - is something earned plain and simple.

Those with CC's should be the first non-elites on the plane, and if they want to board sooner they should fly more.

My $.02!
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:26 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Well said sir ^^
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by Madone59
I think this has been said but CC holders should not be grouped with any elites, not even silvers! Even a *S - which most around here pass in a month or two - is something earned plain and simple.

Those with CC's should be the first non-elites on the plane, and if they want to board sooner they should fly more.

My $.02!
Yep - could not agree more. Fly 50k miles or pay 85 bucks a year and you get group 2? Everyone sitting on the steering committee that agreed to this plan should be fired.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Add to it:
GA: screw this - now boarding GS, groups 1 to 5

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.