Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Source: https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...g-process.aspx

Pre-Boarding
  • Customers with Disabilities
  • Global Services
  • Uniformed Military Personnel
  • Families with Children Age Two and Under

Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, BusinessFirst, and First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver*, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

*A Star Alliance Silver who is not a Premier Silver is not eligible for Premier Access boarding.

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Aisle Seats

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2013, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by SFOFastAir
I know it was OT but I responding to the comment "IRROPS is their best example of the customer be damned...".

Mods can move to new thread but the guidelines are an internal document and I won't discuss the specifics. They are very favorable to the customer. Believe when I say they offer just about everything FTers have ever said they should get in terms of getting to where they are going. They do not address or change the amenities provided during IRROPs.

Because information dissemination is not a UA strong point I hope I'm giving everyone a data point to help them get what they are entitled to and enhance their service recovery experience.
Thanks for the info (or whatever you could provide to us)!

Have you heard anything in regards to the boarding process change from upper management?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 1:23 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
This is a change I'm furious about.

I'm a gold who spent about $20K on United last year to fly 60K miles. While in the grand scheme of things $20K is not a lot of money, it is a lot of money to be spent to board at the same time as my credit card will let me board.

This is a major, major devaluation. I see very little reason to remain loyal to United with this change.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 1:29 pm

Unhappy I miss Continental so much.

Perhaps United can speed up their boarding process by dumping the boarding "groups" and using the Continental method of boarding from the back of the plane. Having flown during Thanksgiving and New Year's, I can tell you that having any elite status at all is worthless, so not too upset about this latest news. I am completely over the people in Group 8 that are at the back of the plane boarding after the rest of the plane is seated. Old United executives, please pull your heads out of your United manuals and take a look at an important factor in why Continential had the best on time record in the business for YEARS.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 1:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by educote
Perhaps United can speed up their boarding process by dumping the boarding "groups" and using the Continental method of boarding from the back of the plane. Having flown during Thanksgiving and New Year's, I can tell you that having any elite status at all is worthless, so not too upset about this latest news. I am completely over the people in Group 8 that are at the back of the plane boarding after the rest of the plane is seated. Old United executives, please pull your heads out of your United manuals and take a look at an important factor in why Continential had the best on time record in the business for YEARS.
educote, welcome to FT! If you read this forum and study the UA/CO merger, you will find that CO's management is mostly in charge at the executive level, that they tried CO's boarding method initially after the integration, and that it failed after a very short time. Every iteration since has brought new issues and challenges.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...13-thread.html

Those of us from the UA side were very happy with how things were pre-merger and would very much like to return to something similar.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Yuck! No thanks!

Who's ready to unwind the merger?!?! Bring back the tulip!! I'll get my painting gear on, SFO is on my way home ^ Never thought I'd admit I miss Tilton....
Old Jan 11, 2013, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by TIMOS
I've always been curious, why do US airlines have this idea of boarding Military (active & retired) first? It seems i kind off oddly American thing.

<snip>

It it just an accepted thing here? (Sorry, I am Australian living in the US 8 years - so maybe I am missing some significant history or culture thing)
my memory is bad, really bad for my age, but i honestly don't recall this ever happening before 9/11. this IMO was the event that intertwined the military/anti-terrorism and air travel and specifically in this manner, as well as the occasional free comp-ups you see for military in uniform. it's one of those things that now that it is in place, it is not really possible to get rid of without creating a PR nightmare. personally it doesn't bother me much, if they want to let someone board early who volunteers to have bullets whizzing by their head in an inhospitable country halfway around the world. but someone who filled out a credit card application, yes, that bothers me.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by JesterJarett
Here's a picture I snapped of the new boarding process in SFO:

What gate at SFO? I thought the test setup was not until April? I would love to check it out during my layover tomorrow.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Um, United was an on-time performance leader for several years until precisely the time that the CO boarding process you describe above was implemented.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
What gate at SFO? I thought the test setup was not until April? I would love to check it out during my layover tomorrow.
Gate 80
Old Jan 11, 2013, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by edcho
Non-mobile version link: http://www.cnbc.com/id/100373004
btw - this is currently #2 in the CNBC list on finance.yahoo.com - so getting tons of eyes outside of the FT community....
Old Jan 11, 2013, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
Actually I think the CNBC article is pretty lame other than it's bad press for United.

It's just a FT cut and past job and it's also factually wrong. Eg (More than 920 people have posted feedback on the Flyertalk thread, the vast majority upset with the changes.)

No CNBC...there are far less than 920 people posting in this thread containing 920+ posts.
The article is quite neutral in tone and pretty accurately conveys the mood on Flytalk regarding UA's boarding process. It may be bad press for UA but they earned it.

There's also nothing wrong with cut and paste from this thread, as long as source is cited. Many news articles are based on talking points provided to journalists by various organizations. The key is the CNBC article is going to reach readers not reachable by Flyertalk.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by edcho
Gate 80
Thanks i'm a dummy. my phone screen is so small i didint even notice it on the photo.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
The title "I miss CO so much" is hilarious. This is COdbaUA.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by noah

This is a change I'm furious about.

I'm a gold who spent about $20K on United last year to fly 60K miles. While in the grand scheme of things $20K is not a lot of money, it is a lot of money to be spent to board at the same time as my credit card will let me board.

This is a major, major devaluation. I see very little reason to remain loyal to United with this change.
-
Try watching or reading the fairly frequent interviews of Smisek on TV and in various news publications.

Smisek makes it clear that he is NOT concerned with PM/UA customer loyalty. What customers did for UA in the past is gone and finished.

As confirmation of UA's current disdain towards PM/UA customer loyalty, consider the countless demotions that were made to Mileage Plus program. Also consider the lifetime promises that continue to be intentionally ignored. Further consider what CFO Rainey said about "over entitled" elites.

No, you must accept the new boarding process or find another airline. In short, take it or leave it. Many have left.

The situation of the new boarding process is not a pretty picture no matter how one looks at the picture as a whole.

The new boarding process is but one more, in a series of demotions, confirming that in the eyes of UA's management, elites are "over entitled" and must be put back in their place.

Now, quietly line up with the credit card holders and like it, or else Smisek will no doubt dream up yet another demotion.
-
Old Jan 11, 2013, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
f you read this forum and study the UA/CO merger, you will find that CO's management is mostly in charge at the executive level,
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Those of us from the UA side were very happy with how things were pre-merger and would very much like to return to something similar.
You should look up the names Jeff Foland, Peter McDonald and Thomas O'Toole before making such uninformed statements.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.