Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United Airlines' Boarding Process (2013)" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2013, 7:35 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz
Original Poster

As 2012 is over and the existing thread is quite long, let's continue this topic in a new thread.

Here is a link to the 2012 thread for reference:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Old Jan 2, 2013, 7:38 pm

Update:

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone,

We know the topic of boarding is one that you care about, and we wanted to provide you with an update on further changes we will be making to address the frustration that many customers – including many of you – have expressed.

Over the next several months, we’re going to be making several changes to address crowding and consistency and, frankly, to help you just understand where you should stand as you wait to board. Over time, we’ll also make physical changes to our gate areas, deploy better directional signage, and enact changes to the boarding process itself.

Bear with us as these changes roll out over a period of months. Here is a brief overview of what you will see:
  • Simplified Boarding Groups (January 8-9, with full implementation January 10): Starting late tomorrow, we plan to reduce the number of boarding groups from 7 to 5 (plus pre-boarding). The new boarding group priority will be:
  • Pre-Boarding: Customers with disabilities, then Global Services and uniformed military personnel
  • Group 1: Global Services, Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, premium cabins
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus and Club cardholders, MileagePlus Explorer and Awards cardholders
  • Groups 3-5: General boarding
Worth noting: If you are traveling on January 9 or 10, and checked in to your flight before we made the change, you can refresh your online boarding pass to see your new boarding group. You can also go to a kiosk to reprint your boarding pass.

• Revised Gate Layout with Premium Bypass Lanes (March/April): We will add more boarding lanes – in many cases, one for each boarding group. At nearly every gate, our Premier Access boarding will be comprised of two separate lanes – enabling a dedicated line for groups 1 and 2 respectively. Some of you have already seen this concept, as we are testing this new layout at several gates (in many cases with temporary signage). Below are some of the gates where we are testing this layout:
  • Chicago-O’Hare (ORD) – B8, C16 and C18 (adding two more at a later date)
  • Cleveland (CLE) – C27 and C3
  • Denver (DEN) – B23 and B32
  • Houston (IAH) – C40 and E2
  • Los Angeles (LAX) – 70B and 73
  • New York/Newark (EWR) – C123 and C131
  • San Francisco (SFO) – 73 and 80
  • Washington-Dulles (IAD) – C19 and D7
We’ll have more information to share in the coming weeks and months. Thank you for your patience – and especially your feedback – as we work to make our boarding process better.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights
United Airlines
--

Still officially the same as of September 1, 2012.

Hopefully the newer boarding process is much better and gets rolled out quickly (haven't seen it in action yet).

Last edited by edcho; Jan 7, 2013 at 6:24 pm
Old Jan 2, 2013, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by edcho
Still officially the same as of September 1, 2012.

Hopefully the newer boarding process is much better and gets rolled out quickly (haven't seen it in action yet).
Thanks for reminding me that exists. I might print a copy of that, and when challenged by an Explorer card holder that I should board after him, I'll whip it out.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
As of today, the official policy is still not being followed in my experience today. GA called group 2 & 3 together after not allowing the 1's enough time to board.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LT Titanium
Pre-boarding is a joke

It would be helpful if the gate agents waited for at least 10 seconds between announcing Pre-boarding and then Group 1. In LAX last saturday, the agent barely paused between the two groups making the priority boarding option for GS irrelevant.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 9:48 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Does anyone have any comments on the boarding set up being tested at the hubs? (e.g. SFO gates 80 and 73)
Old Jan 3, 2013, 9:59 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Got to try out the new system of lines at SFO last month. It was pretty dysfunctional.

I walked up right as Group 2 was called. Except, since there is a single group 2-4 lane, when the GA called Group 2 no one knew what to do. Then it turned into a Southwest-esque scene of people in the line comparing boarding passes trying to figure out who should go first.

In the end, a BIS Gold lines up the same as a no-fee-first-year credit card holder. Never in my life have I felt so over-entitled. Sure glad UA is putting me in my place.

EDIT: Or apparently a BIS Platinum, too. Incredible.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Got to try out the new system of lines at SFO last month. It was pretty dysfunctional.

I walked up right as Group 2 was called. Except, since there is a single group 2-4 lane, when the GA called Group 2 no one knew what to do. Then it turned into a Southwest-esque scene of people in the line comparing boarding passes trying to figure out who should go first.

In the end, a BIS Gold lines up the same as a no-fee-first-year credit card holder. Never in my life have I felt so over-entitled. Sure glad UA is putting me in my place.

EDIT: Or apparently a BIS Platinum, too. Incredible.
I haven't had the [mis]fortune of seeing the revised process in action, but the issue of BG 2-3-4 sharing one line while groups 5, 6 and 7 are all broken out into their own lines does baffle me. Presumably the theory is that, on widebody aircraft, most of the cabin will consist of non-status passengers, but as MDtR-Chicago points out above, that doesn't always bear out in practice. If the gate agents had the authority to modify the setup to suit the elite load (breaking BG 2-3-4 into their own lines and recombining BG 5-6-7 into a 'general boarding' line), the system could work, but that leads to the same sort of inconsistency we're seeing now.

I've said before, and I'll say again, that the keys to getting any boarding process to work are information and enforcement. The passengers waiting in the gate area should be getting constant updates and instruction (either by live GAs or recordings), and the GA at the podium scanning BPs needs to enforce the boarding order.

I'll even go one further - if someone tries to jump the line and board with an earlier group (assuming they're not accompanying a passenger in a higher BG, that is), they get sent to the back of boarding group 7; a second attempt to jump the line earns an IDB (akin to a drunk passenger being refused boarding). It'll never happen, of course, but...
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:22 am

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
Boarded with the new lanes and there was no way GS could get to the front through packed tiny lanes when called.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 1:30 am

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
I'd love to see the boarding group printed as a giant grey number--like a watermark--on the BP.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 3:40 am

Programs: BMI Silver
Are they not pre- boarding families with infants and small children anymore? I missed the last half of 2012 flying due to pregnancy.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 4:21 am

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by princessyoga
Are they not pre- boarding families with infants and small children anymore? I missed the last half of 2012 flying due to pregnancy.
Thankfully no. Come to think of it, I haven't seen any airline doing this lately.

It was massively abused anyway. I often saw "small" 12+ year olds pre-boarding.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 5:08 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by TomA
Thankfully no. Come to think of it, I haven't seen any airline doing this lately.

It was massively abused anyway. I often saw "small" 12+ year olds pre-boarding.
USAirways does and it's misused all the time. Not only older "children" but families with six adults who need to help them board and settle in.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:01 am

Programs: BMI Silver
I find it disappointing as frequent traveller with a newborn and another small child. I typically fly long haul on my own with my little girl. The baby has yet to travel. I am also a frequent business traveller so understand that perspective as well. The rule should be enforced one or two adults with very small children.

I agree the abuse of the previous system is terrible. You dont need loads of people to get a baby sorted and older children dont need extra time. Those inconsiderate people ruin it for those that need an extra few mins to get babies and young children in and strapped and their supplies at the ready so you dont have to disturb people getting up and down or travelling to the back of the plane carrying a baby to get them a necessary item during the flight because you are in the bulkhead with a bassinet and people stored their items in the overhead above you before taking their seats in the back of the plane. That is particularly challenging when trying to disembark even though you are near the front you have wait until everyone is off before you can go back to get this.i have experienced this on my daughter's first 2 trips. It is important Particularly as you can get the kids sorted before they are run down with people carrying oversized carry ons forcing their way down the aisle to get an overhead bin.i recognise this may unpopular opinion on here and so be it. If that is new rule so be it. I will deal with it.

I know my European airline I use for work still does it for under 6's.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:16 am

This was a relatively recent change actually. The press made a huge deal about it.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/23/travel...ing/index.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.