Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Source: https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...g-process.aspx

Pre-Boarding
  • Customers with Disabilities
  • Global Services
  • Uniformed Military Personnel
  • Families with Children Age Two and Under

Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, BusinessFirst, and First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver*, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

*A Star Alliance Silver who is not a Premier Silver is not eligible for Premier Access boarding.

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Aisle Seats

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2013, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
All the changes (demotions) together with the demonstrated intransigent attitude over complaints cannot be good for UA's goodwill.

-
I think it is time to help United set a new record. Given that complaints to United seem to go unanswered, I suggest that whenever we have an actual complaint about the service provided by United, we should submit the complaint through the DOT website. They at least tally the complaints, and if we were all to do this we would likely help United set a new record for complaints in a month that would not likely be overturned by any airlines other than United.

Only do this for actual issues. A completely unworkable boarding process is such an issue, but only when you have actually seen it fail in process, while you wanted to board.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 2:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by njcommodore
You should look up the names Jeff Foland, Peter McDonald and Thomas O'Toole before making such uninformed statements.
I did qualify my statement. But come on, we all know full well who wears the pants in this marriage, surviving legacy UA policies and C-suiters notwithstanding.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
I did qualify my statement. But come on, we all know full well who wears the pants in this marriage, surviving legacy UA policies and C-suiters notwithstanding.
those three people, legacy UA execs, lead the departments that most people are complaining about (marketing, operations [boarding] and Mileage Plus). You're not the only one that has implied that this is a CO show, but in fact those three positions dictate a lot of the customer facing policies complained about here.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
those three people, legacy UA execs, lead the departments that most people are complaining about (marketing, operations [boarding] and Mileage Plus). You're not the only one that has implied that this is a CO show, but in fact those three positions dictate a lot of the customer facing policies complained about here.
Perhaps the problem is not those three legacy UA execs, but the CEO. Isn't Jeff Smisek calling the shots? Where is he from?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I have not flown United since implementing the new boarding process, and won't fly United until the end of February.

As long as the new boarding process:

1. Minimize the crowding around the gate areas
2. Passengers know clearly know where they should be so boarding can be done in an orderly fashion
3. Minimize congestion at the jetway and in the aisle during the boarding process
4. Gate agents implement the process with consistency throughout the network
5. Don't hold up scheduled departure time

I will be happy with the changes.

If not, I will join the my fellow FTers chants for changes...but I have to observe and experience the new boarding process first before jumping into conclusion.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
It seems a bit of a stretch to think that Smisek was personally involved in the details of the boarding process.

There's probably mandates to the various underlings to balance speedy boarding with customer loyalty, and this is the result. Clearly there were a few hands in this pot that spoiled the stew.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 2:58 pm

Looks like United is trying to devalue their mileage plus program. First they cut the amount of bonus miles given per status level. Then Silvers couldnt book economy plus at booking, had to wait until check in. Now Golds have to board with CC members?? How many of your credit card members will actually spend the same amount of money on their credit card as your loyal fyers do on tickets? I spend between 10k and 20k per year to achieve my Gold status and get the same perks as a CC holder who might not even spend any money on the card?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by TIMOS
I've always been curious, why do US airlines have this idea of boarding Military (active & retired) first? It seems i kind off oddly American thing.

I understand these people risk their lives to defend our country, and that is amazing.
I don't think this is an American thing. I think this is a CO thing. UA never did this. Only started happening after CO took control of UA.

Do any other US airlines do this?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 3:11 pm

Programs: United Platinum
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I have not flown United since implementing the new boarding process, and won't fly United until the end of February.

As long as the new boarding process:

1. Minimize the crowding around the gate areas
2. Passengers know clearly know where they should be so boarding can be done in an orderly fashion
3. Minimize congestion at the jetway and in the aisle during the boarding process
4. Gate agents implement the process with consistency throughout the network
5. Don't hold up scheduled departure time

I will be happy with the changes.

If not, I will join the my fellow FTers chants for changes...but I have to observe and experience the new boarding process first before jumping into conclusion.
Just got back from a trip with the supposed new changes:

1) Crowding was not minimized
2) Passengers knew when to board but did not care
3) Congestion was same as alwways
4) New process was implemented on first flight...second flight (Express) they called all groups at the same time)
5) Neither impacted departure
Old Jan 11, 2013, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA Silver; WN; Marriott; SPG; Hilton; IHG; National; TSA Pre; Clear
Originally Posted by Devyan1
Just got back from a trip with the supposed new changes:

1) Crowding was not minimized
2) Passengers knew when to board but did not care
3) Congestion was same as alwways
4) New process was implemented on first flight...second flight (Express) they called all groups at the same time)
5) Neither impacted departure
What was the situation like for bin space if you were to board as Gold or Silver?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 3:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
My last express flight (pre 9th) this was nearly the case.. it went:
*Call preboards (Uniformed, GS, more times)
*1 -take a breath- 2,3 -take a breath- all other groups

(not a complaint.. got there on time.. For me boarding is such a minor issue, as both a silver and a gold I have always been able to stow my carry on... Inflight is so much more important)
Old Jan 11, 2013, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Exclamation Explorer Card holders: "Congrats GS/1K. You're out!"

Just stopped by gate C11 at IAD to board for my 5:58 pm to SAN. The whole gate area is a mess. Premiers, kettles, card holders...all in the Premier line. And the GAs are calling Zones 1 and 2...at the same time.

Congrats GS/1K. Now you get to fight with the Plats, the Golds, and us Silvers. And we all have to fight with the kettles.

I will post a picture or two when I get to SAN.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA 1k Million Miler
Maybe they should just issue the gate agents a starter pistol and have them get out of the way.

Last edited by n9536j; Jan 11, 2013 at 3:59 pm
Old Jan 11, 2013, 3:38 pm

Programs: 1K, MM, Marriott Plat
You should look up the names Jeff Foland, Peter McDonald and Thomas O'Toole before making such uninformed statements.
So if you are assuming that it is Peter McDonald's fault, I suppose then that he said "Team, let's not use the boarding process that helped us maintain satisfied customers (for boarding) and #1 on-time performance and change this so the boarding process is a mess and we alienate all (elite) customers"?

$misek...a change you will like.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 3:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
2) Passengers knew when to board but did not care...
Number one issue - until GA's get tough with line jumpers, this is another expensive and wasteful exercise in futility.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.