Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Club - Worth it for 2013-2014?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2013, 7:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by exerda
Speaking of the original topic--whether or not the Club is worth it--I reluctantly renewed for 2014. I have several upcoming trips with reasonably long layovers at UA and US airports and want to be able to access the clubs rather than sitting at the gate for 3+ hours.

Of course, subsequent to renewing, I have learned I'll likely need to postpone or cancel several of those trips--meaning I could have just let it expire, rant to UA about why I'd let it go, and then quietly renew and pay the extra miles/fee when my travel picked back up in March.
My membership expires in March 2014. Absent a huge uptick in my flying, I don't see a renewal in the cards.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by exerda
Speaking of the original topic--whether or not the Club is worth it--I reluctantly renewed for 2014. I have several upcoming trips with reasonably long layovers at UA and US airports and want to be able to access the clubs rather than sitting at the gate for 3+ hours.

Of course, subsequent to renewing, I have learned I'll likely need to postpone or cancel several of those trips--meaning I could have just let it expire, rant to UA about why I'd let it go, and then quietly renew and pay the extra miles/fee when my travel picked back up in March.
Originally Posted by halls120
My membership expires in March 2014. Absent a huge uptick in my flying, I don't see a renewal in the cards.
In my opinion UA Club always better than sitting at the gate. Yes it's nothing like intl lounges but still provides a decent working/waiting space, refreshments and snacks. And for those of use who spend a lot of time on the road and at airports, the use of showers after long intl flights and that quick bagel before catching an early flight is always a plus.

If you don't want to pay the fee, you can always get the United Club Card, not only do you get Club membership, but the bonus miles and all of the other card benefits - that's what I do.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 2MM 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
3 Year on Miles

I don't know how it happened, but sometime early in 2013 I was able to renew UA Club membership for 3 years on miles. There was even a promo rate of 105,000 miles for those 3 years. I know they got rid of the 3-year option shortly thereafter.

Not the most amazing redemption rate for miles I've done, but not too bad.

Barratt
Old Dec 6, 2013, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by sammyindc
In my opinion UA Club always better than sitting at the gate. Yes it's nothing like intl lounges but still provides a decent working/waiting space, refreshments and snacks. And for those of use who spend a lot of time on the road and at airports, the use of showers after long intl flights and that quick bagel before catching an early flight is always a plus.
Showers are indeed nice, but when the UC doesn't have them at all of their hubs - like AA - it's not that useful a benefit. Quiet work space, alcohol at a decent price, IROPS access, and free WiFi is why I joined the RCC years ago. Most clubs are now crowded, worn and noisy, the booze prices are ridiculous, and WiFi is free at most all major airports. Oh, and the food is worse than before. Not much value these days in a UC membership.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2 Million Miler, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, QF
Originally Posted by halls120
Showers are indeed nice, but when the UC doesn't have them at all of their hubs - like AA - it's not that useful a benefit. Quiet work space, alcohol at a decent price, IROPS access, and free WiFi is why I joined the RCC years ago. Most clubs are now crowded, worn and noisy, the booze prices are ridiculous, and WiFi is free at most all major airports. Oh, and the food is worse than before. Not much value these days in a UC membership.
Have been a member since Presidents club (CO) in the '90s, it sure has gone downhill, crowded and hard to find a seat. Compared to some of the international lounges, it is really bad. Most Star Alliance clubs (Turkish Airways in Istanbul for example) really makes me question paying for what we get. If I renew again I'll use some of the miles that I can't find awards or upgrades for now.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 6:46 pm

Just figured out all lounges are not created equal...

So... Everyone, I am sure, knew this except me... I have found out, much to my disappointment, that lounges vary wildly in amenities.

The United and Star Alliance lounges in Frankfurt, Berlin, and London seem to have free food (Air Canada lounge was particularly notable) and free wine and other goodies.

The club at IAH Terminal E only seems to have some cheese and crackers.

I am sure this has been discussed a lot on flyer talk ad nauseum, so not really trying to raise it as an issue.

Just wanted to note my disappointment. Oh well. :-)
Old Dec 26, 2013, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Watch this trip report video, which is done by our fellow FTer sfflyer123:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrEbiRPdR-E

You can fully understand the irony of UA's superior lounge...
Old Dec 26, 2013, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Hahaha that video could not possibly more accurately describe my thoughts about the LH lounge vs the UC.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 7:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
yeah not news

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...th-2013-a.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...2012-13-a.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ct-2013-a.html

and many more ....
Old Dec 26, 2013, 7:19 pm

Programs: MP Ag, former 1K
If only all of UA's lounges were like the one in HKG . . .
Old Dec 26, 2013, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
United doesn't have to pay for upscale digs because apparently they feel a majority of U.S. clientele wouldn't notice the difference. I think times are changing and this may be antiquated. Perhaps Amex clubs will up the ante.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 7:29 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
The US Carrier Domestic Lounge issue is certainly not specific to UA. Different game is played here.

I will have to say that the Internet access at the new *A lounge in LAX-Bradly was the fastest I have used outside of the office (faster than my home service). Certainly one of the nicer domestic lounges (and in a terminal that used to be dreadful).
Old Dec 26, 2013, 7:52 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
And here's some more bad news: IAH Terminal E is one of the two or three best United Clubs in the US.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

Originally Posted by Kacee
And here's some more bad news: IAH Terminal E is one of the two or three best United Clubs in the US.
I was going to say the same thing. I really think the IAH terminal E is one of the nicest clubs in the US. I really visited the United club at EWR. It should be one of the flagship clubs in the United system. Half of the sofa chairs were ripped.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 8:14 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Frontier, Delta, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by garykung
Watch this trip report video, which is done by our fellow FTer sfflyer123:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrEbiRPdR-E

You can fully understand the irony of UA's superior lounge...
One of my very favorite lounges! Star Gold and you can get in US Domestic. And no lounge dragons so far . . . all friendly.

That lounge is a little tight, but the food, beer, and snacks, make it a very different feel, even though it is smaller than most UA lounges, it is far more relaxing and inviting. I almost never miss it flying to or through IAD! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.