Wiki Posts
Search

United Club - Worth it for 2013-2014?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2013, 2:16 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
I haven't figured out how the Chase club card deal works out on P&L given

50% on my biz spend is something like 60,000 miles extra per annul...about 300-500 USD real value, conservatively.

Free UC

I used the club 60+ times in 2013
You're even worse at $5 a visit!

I'm assuming ~ $300 of the fee goes to UA for club membership.

Me, OTOH with my 10 visits a year? My $30 a visit is subsidizing all of you!
Old Dec 28, 2013, 5:01 pm

If you are traveling frequently in domestic, yes; however, for people who travel mostly international, in general, no.

Last edited by PaulInTheSky; Dec 28, 2013 at 5:08 pm
Old Dec 28, 2013, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
If you travel domestic and super frequently i could see justifying it, but I think getting the club chase card would still be a better deal because of the benefits and getting the extra miles... internationally definitely not, assuming you have *g
Old Jan 4, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
United Club Membership Expired - Renew or Not?

After UA began outrageous drink prices (see related thread) I decided to let my club membership lapse. I just got this email trying to entice me back. I'm struggling to try to justify the (now) $500 price. Apparently if I join before January 31st they will waive the $50 initiation fee. I guess I forgot they even had an initiation fee!

According to UA I visited the club 20 times in 2013. I probably guested 2-3 times. Without the free or reduced price drinks I'm thinking my 25 dollars a trip could be better used in the terminal.

Curious how many others are letting their club membership lapse and if anyone has any convincing arguments as to why one should stay.

ps. I'm *Gold so I don't really see any benefit when I travel internationally - and when I do I usually fly in "C".
Old Jan 4, 2014, 1:27 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
I'm torn with this every year (well, I did buy the 3-year at the deadline last year). I don't really drink, so the alcohol change doesn't really affect me much. It's not for the food (I can't stand anything they serve in the clubs after the bagels are done for the day at 11AM).

For me, it comes down to the access to relatively short customer service lines. I've been saved more than once this past year with 300-people deep CS lines 'outside', to get waited on relatively quickly. Plus, I've made friends with quite a few RCC agents at ORD and LAS.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
I got it free last year with a free United Club card. It came in handy a number of times, but it wasn't worth it enough for me to renew when it came up again. When I do have time at airports, I typically like to have a meal and a drink and both of those are in much better supply outside the Club than within.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 1:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I keep it because I still prefer the UCs over the terminal or a restaurant and the ability to access the agents when needed. 90% travel is domestic. Understand the international clubs are better but the options are limited for domestic travel. It is worth of me. But each needs to make their choice and understand their choice may be different than mine. BTW I don't drink alcoholic items while traveling -- so cost in the UC is a non-issue for me.

pros & cons galore in
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...th-2013-a.html
and some in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ct-2013-a.html
Old Jan 4, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I keep it because I still prefer the UCs over the terminal or a restaurant and the ability to access the agents when needed. 90% travel is domestic. Understand the international clubs are better but the options are limited for domestic travel. It is worth of me. But each needs to make their choice and understand their choice may be different than mine. BTW I don't drink alcoholic items while traveling -- so cost in the UC is a non-issue for me.

pros & cons galore in
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...th-2013-a.html
and some in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ct-2013-a.html
Very similar calculation for me. I always renewed with miles since I couldn't use the ones I accumulated, and spending miles always trumps after tax cash. Later in career, UC club became a paid perk, but even then I took cash and used miles for same reason.

My spend on the UC Club card is high enough to make the card, Club free over other cards...so for the next 5 years or so that will be it for me.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 2:59 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I luckily rode enough Amtrak last year that I'm Select Plus for this year and will get free United Club access. It's a nice perk but still nothing I'd pay for anymore.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K
My spend on the UC Club card is high enough to make the card, Club free over other cards...so for the next 5 years or so that will be it for me.
You just made me realize that, with my PQD-waiving spend planned for next year, I should maybe get the club card...

Originally Posted by CMK10
I luckily rode enough Amtrak last year that I'm Select Plus for this year and will get free United Club access. It's a nice perk but still nothing I'd pay for anymore.
I take Amtrak every day, but sadly do so using a Metrolink (LA commuter rail) monthly pass, so no love for me.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Forgot about the extra 95 bucks for the Explorer card, Xyzzy!

So for another 300 bucks I get

UC access
Other club access

Even on a modest 3k per month house hold spend, I get another 18k RPM which if I use generally accepted value of 2cpm, is 360 USD back.

Which makes the Club Card a revenue positive upgrade from the Explorer on 3k month spend.

Ok, I'll stop schilling for this now,
Probably closer to 1cpm.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 4:59 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by cranky1K
Probably closer to 1cpm.
Yeah, but you don't get flamed as much if you say it's 2cpm
Old Jan 4, 2014, 6:34 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by mccullo3
Agree the united chase card is a better value. $395 annual fee; club membership, no foreign transaction fees, primary rental car insurance, mies just to name a few.

Thats what I do; I figure with my international travel the card practically pays for itself.
Thanks WineCountry and mccullo3! I hadn't thought about the Chase Card. I assume I can switch my current card. The no foreign transaction fee item is pretty significant. I signed up for the Marriott Card (given the UA partnership) which also has no transaction fees. Maybe I will switch out the cards since I don't charge that much to Marriott and I charge all my United purchases to the United card. No foreign transaction fees can add up to several hundreds of dollars for me too.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, UC, Lifetime HH Diamond, Avis President’s Club
Disappointed in United Club

I typically don't use forums to air my complaints, but today I am.

I'm @ FFL and arrived at the club only to be told by the attendant that the club was full and there may not be any seats. She was spot on! What a zoo this place is. It reminded my of my college days when my buddies and I would fight to see who could maneuver threw the crowds to obtain that 1st brew. As there wasn't a seat to be found, I left drink less and upset that I forked out good money for the membership.

As I now sit in the terminal using the slow but free wifi I start to ponder:

1. How many guests gain entrance due to their CC?
2. Is it this bad at the other legacy carriers?
3. Is it time to take by business elsewhere?
4. Or do I just check it off like a flight delay due to bad weather?

Time will tell. I'm going back for a photo.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1P (w/ no expectations whatsoever); Marriott Gold; Hilton Silver; Hertz Pres
Just give it 6-12 months. UA will likely copy DL's new club admission policies (for better or worse). Some will be ecstatic, some furious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.