Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Club - Worth it for 2013-2014?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by glasman19
I typically don't use forums to air my complaints, but today I am.

I'm @ FFL and arrived at the club only to be told by the attendant that the club was full and there may not be any seats. She was spot on! What a zoo this place is. It reminded my of my college days when my buddies and I would fight to see who could maneuver threw the crowds to obtain that 1st brew. As there wasn't a seat to be found, I left drink less and upset that I forked out good money for the membership.

As I now sit in the terminal using the slow but free wifi I start to ponder:

1. How many guests gain entrance due to their CC?
2. Is it this bad at the other legacy carriers?
3. Is it time to take by business elsewhere?
4. Or do I just check it off like a flight delay due to bad weather?

Time will tell. I'm going back for a photo.
Basically anyone can get into the club these days by buying a one time pass or getting it free from their credit card. This is basically the norm for US lounges.

Basically 90% of other international airlines, you can't use a lounge unless you're flying in a premium cabin or you're an elite member. Many international lounges don't sell one-day passes or even yearly memberships so traffic isn't bad.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
Basically anyone can get into the club these days by buying a one time pass or getting it free from their credit card. This is basically the norm for US lounges.

Basically 90% of other international airlines, you can't use a lounge unless you're flying in a premium cabin or you're an elite member. Many international lounges don't sell one-day passes or even yearly memberships so traffic isn't bad.
I think we've noted a few times here that the number of people who use those passes is not a significant contributor (defined as more than 20%) to the United Club attendance.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
This is the first trip to SFO since I decided *not* to renew my United Club membership. Boy am I glad I didn't waste my money. I'm leaving out of gate 67 in the spanking new wing of Terminal 3.

The place is incredible and beats any UA lounge I've ever been in. Lots of plugs, spaces to do work, free WiFi and just a great vibe. They even have a yoga room if you are so inclined!

Nice write up here.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...ff-5173681.php
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: Star, Oneworld, Skymiles, SPG
Why does United bother having Clubs at all?

July 5, I was flying GDL-IAH-SAN in a paid first p-class ticket. I missed my connection to SAN and the next flight was delayed 1 1/2 hours. (There had been a massive thunderstorm earlier in the day with diversions so everything was a mess.) I was leaving from gate C44 at 9:30 pm, so I decided to visit the United Club for the first time in my life.

When I got to the check-in counter, there was a big sign which read "No Outside Food Allowed". I thought that was reasonable until I got inside and realized that there also should have been a sign reading "No Inside Food Available". The refreshment bar looked like something you would see in the break room at a prosperous law firm. There was only hot coffee and tea. No sodas, soda fountain or bottled water (or ice for that matter) available anywhere. The food was mostly of the hermetically sealed type with a 6 month shelf life and not much of that.

There was the usual instance of United trying to make something out of nothing. There were some cookies available with a prominent sign which read "These cookies baked especially for United Airlines". They looked like ordinary cookies to me.

There was bar with two people sitting at it. As far as I could figure out, the only things available for free were domestic beer and two types of white wine. All other drinks were for the same price charged in economy on board an airplane.

Opposite the bar was a large cafe-type area with tables and chairs. It was completely deserted. Since there is no food available and you can't bring any in, I did not see the point of the cafe area.

The leather chairs were very comfortable and about 30% of them were occupied. This was at about 8:15 pm. The terminal outside the Club was packed. The airport had been closed earlier in the day for the storm and many many flights were running very late. All the restaurants and food courts were packed with people.

Just down the corridor from the Club was a place called Le Grande Comptoir which is a "French wine bar, cafe and restaurant". It looked far more interesting than the Club I was just in. It has a full bar, fifty different types of wine and eggs benedict for $15. The ratings websites all give it 3-4 stars out of five.

Which brings me to my first question: Why on God's green earth would anybody pay $495 per year for a United Club pass? My second question is: Given how busy the terminal was at that time and how empty the club was, Are there very many people paying for club passes anymore?

P.S. On my flight IAH-SAN I got to sample what will always be known to me as the "Bette Midler snack".
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
Your first visit to an airline lounge in the US, right?
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
IAH is pretty much closed up and dead by 8pm, so I'm not surprised the one of four UCs was only a third full.

No-name wells are also available free of charge, but they're awful.

I cancelled my UC membership after waiting out the merger to see if they'd fix the clubs. Instead I saw more downgrades and no consistency.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by eghansen
The refreshment bar looked like something you would see in the break room at a prosperous law firm.
Our definitions of "prosperous" must differ greatly. If I was paying for a high-priced lawyer and found the selection to be like that, I would run away. Fast and far.

Originally Posted by eghansen
There was only hot coffee and tea. No sodas, soda fountain or bottled water (or ice for that matter) available anywhere.
You must not have looked very hard. While there is (thankfully in my opinion) no bottled water, if any of the other items aren't at the self-serve area, they're always available at the bar (for free).
Old Jul 6, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Our definitions of "prosperous" must differ greatly. If I was paying for a high-priced lawyer and found the selection to be like that, I would run away. Fast and far.
I say this as someone who has been around top law firms for nearly my entire life, most recently as a client: what on earth are you talking about?
Old Jul 6, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
The UC is comparable with other USA domestic lounges. Free bar brand liquor and wine and snacks only. AA has food for purchase at the Admiral's Clubs (like a restaurant) - sandwiches, salads, etc.

UC has best breakfast items - including cereal, yogurt, rolls, bagels, etc. AA only has small pastries for free in the morning, but then in the late afternoon AA serves veggies and olives.

But USA lounges are no where similar to international lounges.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
to answer the question simply, it's because people keep paying for access either via day passes, memberships, or CC annual fees. then once inside, they're still paying for overpriced drinks from surly bartenders. UC is apparently bringing in enough money to continue to justify its existence. if it didn't, you can bet the clubs would all be boarded up tomorrow.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 11:56 am
RJ1

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
You must not have looked very hard. While there is (thankfully in my opinion) no bottled water, if any of the other items aren't at the self-serve area, they're always available at the bar (for free).
Well, not exactly "free" since there is the presumed tip for the bartender for anything them may dispense for you (soda, etc.), or even water if they don't have a self-serve container out.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 11:58 am
RJ1

Originally Posted by mduell
I cancelled my UC membership after waiting out the merger to see if they'd fix the clubs. Instead I saw more downgrades and no consistency.
I am cancelling my $395 Chase United Club card this month for the same reason.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by jfk747
Folks are classless here and will pay for bad service and being forced to tip the jobs program.
Not sure what the above comment means...

To some people, just getting out of the normal airport hubbub is worth the price of entry. Many corporations give it as a perk to their employees. Some people, including me, got it for free after flying 2,000,000 miles on UA. (actually, they were kind and gave it to be for 1.8 MM)

Everyone has their own value equation, but I can bet that few people go to a UA club for the food.

I don't think I would pay $495/year, but other road warriors with heavy domestic travel might have a different take.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I get it for free (so guilty of adding to the list of folks who renew on autopilot every year, despite the crap quality) but I make it a point to never buy drinks in there...I'd rather go out in the terminal for decent food & will pay for my drinks there.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 12:17 pm
Suspended

I don't think this is limited to UA, I think US, DL, and AA all have lackluster lounges compared to foreign airlines. I actually do here good things though about Alaska's lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.