Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Club - Worth it for 2013-2014?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2013, 2:51 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I don't think it's worth it. I joined the RCC in 2006 and renewed each year (I was either Premier or Premier Executive during those years) but I let it lapse when it expired at the end of this August. The cost is too high in proportion to what we're offered. Breakfast snacks are good but lunch/dinner time ones are not. The free booze options aren't the best, too many clubs (PHL, CLE) have terrible bathrooms, there are almost no showers and no public computers.

Also, the clubs have become more and more crowded. I'll save my money and aim for shorter connections, or go via IAD when I can and use the LH Lounge.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA Plat , HHonors Gold, Marriott Plat, Avis President's Club
The snacks are slightly improved this year. Those strange white balls have been replaced with chocolate covered pretzels. Doesn't justify the cost by itself, but it is an improvement.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I was going to let mine expire this month and never renew it due to the lack of using it much lately and the overcrowding most of the time but I did take the last second plunge at the $875 rate for a 3 year deal as a 1K.

That seems like a good deal at under $292 a year with perhaps 20 uses per year. At the end of this 3 year run a renewal is unlikely unless there are changes for the better down the road.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
Looking at how things goes at United, I suspect the continued deterioration of airport customer service will be enhanced, so people will succumb to buying UC membership to avoid the long lines.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:43 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MatthewT
The snacks are slightly improved this year. Those strange white balls have been replaced with chocolate covered pretzels. Doesn't justify the cost by itself, but it is an improvement.
I'm not a fan of strange white balls either.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lensman
I'm not a fan of strange white balls either.
Especially when they're bumpy...

But, back on point. I did do the 3-year renew with a previous expiry date of July 1013, and can confirm that my new card arrived with an ending date of July 2016.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:37 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
The MileagePlus Club card ($300 net, or free if United decides you're worthy due to Premier status) + spousal membership (I think it's $200?) is worth it.

US Airways usually conducts club fire sales in spring, so it might be worthwhile to wait for that.

The new Terminal 2/F club in ORD is nice. CLE continues to look tired, and even IAH Terminal E is showing some wear.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:27 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, UA Gold, American EP, Southwest A List
United Club

Originally Posted by ChrisInSD
I've been toying around with joining United Club for the next year. I'm a Gold whose travel pattern ranges from Silver-Platinum, depending on the year. I don't live at a UA hub and often am forced to connect, so benefits are more meaningful given I contend with layovers.

While investigating this, I've discovered that in one week rates are going up $25 for each individual membership class (and $100 for w/spouse rates). Also, the 3-year membership option is being discontinued.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...nge/rates.aspx

This leaves me with the question--is it worth it to buy a membership for someone like me? And should I go for the three-year before it goes away.
Assuming another $25 price hike 1/1/14, then the three year cost savings is $325...

Thoughts all? I know, I know the new United Club is bad compared to RCC, etc (generally nothing is good about the New United vs the old w/respect to benefits)--however, these lounges are STILL better than hanging out in the airport.

Anyone who has spent any time in SAN's T1 will agree.
Chris, I wouldn't do it. I just let mine expire a week ago. I've been so disappointed in 2012 when the airline let all of the "credit card" folks in for free - sometimes waiting in line to be allowed in as others come out (LAX) to avoid max occupancy fire code. The snacks are horrible, the drinks (if you want to wait in line) are not worth it. I found myself only using it for the clean(er) restrooms and to charge my electronics while sitting in a chair instead of a corridor. I was a status match from American in 2011 and I sure wish I had the Admirals Club at United (and no credit card leeches).
Old Mar 13, 2013, 3:31 pm

United Club at O'Hare - Worth $50?

I have a 3 hour layover this Friday at O'Hare and I'm yet to ever go to the club there. I'm flying E+, so I don't have access to the United Club. In my opinion, the best club is the United Global First Club at JFK. The regular club in SFO is nice as well, and I'm yet to go to the regular club at JFK.

Is it worth the $50 one-time pass for the 3.5 hour layover? I assume I'd be at the bar anyway paying for drinks and wi-fi, and at an airport, a beer can be $7-$8.

If it's not worth it, are there any other clubs at O'Hare that are nicer (doesn't have to be United) that offer one-time passes? Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 13, 2013, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
If you're going to be boozing it up anyway, might as well!

They have Honkers Ale on draft in there, which is one of my favorite beers.

BTW...if you download the united app and buy the day pass from there it's only $45.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 3:35 pm

The new Terminal 2 United Club is getting some very positive reviews.
Just opened recently, so while it's away from the main Terminal 1 gates, it's worth a visit.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...icago/1806981/
Old Mar 13, 2013, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by TommyC80
If you're going to be boozing it up anyway, might as well!

They have Honkers Ale on draft in there, which is one of my favorite beers.

BTW...if you download the united app and buy the day pass from there it's only $45.
Good to know! I have the app and don't remember the last time I used a paper boarding pass. I plan on boozing it up, it is afterall a 3.5 hour layover :/
Old Mar 13, 2013, 3:44 pm
Suspended

I'd take a few moments and search Craigslist or such ...
There always seem to be offers for the passes for around $20-25

I found 4 three weeks ago for $50 total.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 3:47 pm

Keep an eye here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-thread-3.html

And also might want to buy a couple day passes on ebay for just these types of events. They go for about $15 per in a 2pack. I know this doesn't help you for Friday, but can help in the future.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 3:57 pm

IMHO, no UA lounges are worth the money, especially for $50, although it really depends on how much you utilize the things offered there.
I personally don't care about the free alcohol and cheese/crackers/fruits, but the free wifi is nice.
The couches are nice too, but the problem is most lounges (especially the ones in hubs) are fairly crowded, so finding a free couch is sometimes difficult.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.