Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Club - Worth it for 2013-2014?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2013, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy
If you do go to a club in ORD, go to the new T2. It's great.
Just went there before my 7 p.m. flight to LGA and have to agree. Best United Club in ORD, hands down.
Glad you enjoyed it. That's the new model for all the clubs renovation. Just takes time now.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:26 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
A majority of my travel this year has been international, so I didn't worry about the Lounge access. There is no UA lounge in the US that I think is really worth paying for the membership. UA lounge in NRT is going downhill, but the one in HKG is still good.
After visiting all of the UA hub lounges save for CLE and GUM (but including HKG, whether or not it's a "hub"), I feel the same.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:42 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
After visiting all of the UA hub lounges save for CLE and GUM (but including HKG, whether or not it's a "hub"), I feel the same.
You're not missing much with CLE, it's a nice enough space though the layout is confusing and the bathroom is on par with a public high school.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
Hey, a naive question: How have people gone converting from a MP to a Club card? Can I just call up and switch over and have my yearly MP fee applied to Club card?

In addition is there any "gotchyas" on fees, interest etc over the MP card?
When I called to switch, I was told that they could not convert the card. They said I had to apply for the club card and after approval, cancel the explorer.

Didn't look at interest since I pay in full but, for me, the club card is worth the extra fee for the club access and 1.5 miles per $ purchase on non-bonus categories.

Not on your issue but the UA clubs win me with the milano and shortbread cookies.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 1:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
I wouldnt use the club much even if you gave it to me for free.
  • Not interested in standing in line to get in
  • Not interested in standing once you get in
  • To get in, you must pass through the dragons
  • I am not a soda drinker
  • The packaged food iteam, imitation block cheese and crackers arent a healthy food option
  • You cant bring any outside food in...dumb rule
  • The notion of free wifi really means slow wifi (and I carry my own mifi card)
  • I dont prefer to listen to people yakking away on cell phones

That being said...
  • I might grab a beer or wine once in a while
  • Might use it for rebooking, but in 12 months of travel as a 1K, I have only had to be rebooked once.

YMMV, but thats my perspective. But as a business traveler, if I am at the airport with time to kill (rare), I have always been able to find a quiet spot at a restaurant near a power plug and with comfortable seating. Just dont see the point. I fly out of San Diego most, and really dont care for the tiny closet there either. When operations move to Terminal 2 later this year, I will see what the lounge is like then. But even then, I dont pad my departure timing that much with time to kill at the airport when that takes away from time outside in San Diego.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JC5280
  • Not interested in standing in line to get in
  • Not interested in standing once you get in
  • To get in, you must pass through the dragons
  • I am not a soda drinker
  • The packaged food iteam, imitation block cheese and crackers arent a healthy food option
  • You cant bring any outside food in...dumb rule
  • The notion of free wifi really means slow wifi (and I carry my own mifi card)
  • I dont prefer to listen to people yakking away on cell phones

That being said...
  • Might use it for rebooking, but in 12 months of travel as a 1K, I have only had to be rebooked once.

YMMV, but thats my perspective. But as a business traveler, if I am at the airport with time to kill (rare), I have always been able to find a quiet spot at a restaurant near a power plug and with comfortable seating. Just dont see the point. I fly out of San Diego most, and really dont care for the tiny closet there either. When operations move to Terminal 2 later this year, I will see what the lounge is like then. But even then, I dont pad my departure timing that much with time to kill at the airport when that takes away from time outside in San Diego.
I havent found the below an issue at any of the 4 ORD clubs, IAH,IAD,DFW[*]Not interested in standing in line to get in[*]Not interested in standing once you get in[*]To get in, you must pass through the dragons[*]You cant bring any outside food in...dumb rule
Old Mar 17, 2013, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
[LIST][*]Not interested in standing in line to get in[*]Not interested in standing once you get in[*]To get in, you must pass through the dragons

[...]
I fly out of San Diego most, and really dont care for the tiny closet there either.
If you ever managed to get a "line" of more than 2 people at SAN then I'd be very, very impressed. And for my money, the "dragons" at SAN are some of the nicest in the system (as is common at many of the smaller clubs, SEA being another great example).
Old Mar 17, 2013, 1:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ilovesprint
I havent found the below an issue at any of the 4 ORD clubs, IAH,IAD,DFW[*]Not interested in standing in line to get in[*]Not interested in standing once you get in[*]To get in, you must pass through the dragons[*]You cant bring any outside food in...dumb rule
I spent 4 hours last week at the AC at LAX, and there - like other ACs - you have the option of ordering real food. Why UA doesn't offer this is puzzling, to say the least.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 2:13 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

"Unlike other cheese slices which are often made from processed cheese product, Tillamook's cheese slices are the real thing."
Old Mar 17, 2013, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by ilovesprint
I think it can depend on when you use the club. On a Thursday afternoon the ORD C and ~B6 clubs are a zoo. If you are with more than 2 people it can be tough to find seats together. And the bars are extremely small so good luck finding space at the bar.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
For what it's worth, you can generally buy United Club one-time passes for approximately $15 each off eBay. There's some risk, of course, but I've done it a few times to get access for traveling companions, with no problems at all. It's definitely much better than plopping down $50.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 9:18 pm

I just purchased club access within the last month and I really enjoy it. It's hit or miss on the time and amount of people but I've never had to wait in line, the lounge employees have always been very nice, and I've always been able to find a seat. It's a nice relaxing place away from the terminal which is its main point for me.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 9:36 pm

Programs: Previously 5 year AS Gold 75, UA MM Lifetime Gold
  • Not interested in standing in line to get in (Usually no more than 3-4 people, but usually none)
  • Not interested in standing once you get in (Not sure what this means)
  • To get in, you must pass through the dragons (Bad luck I guess...most know me by name)
  • I am not a soda drinker (Not sure what this means)
  • The packaged food iteam, imitation block cheese and crackers arent a healthy food option (Agreed, but the apples, bananas, and carrots are).
  • You cant bring any outside food in...dumb rule (Is this new??!!)
  • The notion of free wifi really means slow wifi (and I carry my own mifi card) (Maybe, if you're downloading videos or songs, but emails get sent rather easily though)
  • I dont prefer to listen to people yakking away on cell phones (Can't stand it myself, so I always find the quiet work areas)

That being said...
  • Might use it for rebooking, but in 12 months of travel as a 1K, I have only had to be rebooked once. (Don't tell anybody around here you've only had to be re-booked once in a year...they might call you a COdbaUA apologist )

Wow, you must be going to some really bad clubs at really bad times. I guess we all have our own experinces, but I rarely, if ever experience (or understand) half of your list. But I only frequent SEA, PDX, SFO, LAX, DEN, IAH, AUS, SAT, and LAS. Some of the best agents in the network. I inlcuded my experiences/feedback above.

Last edited by emcsweeney; Mar 17, 2013 at 10:25 pm Reason: can't spell
Old Dec 5, 2013, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Not sure if this is the appropriate thread but didn't think I needed to create a new one.

Is the (afternoon) snack selection in the PHL club the same as what is offered at ORD?

I've been in the PHL club before but its always been the morning. I just realized I had a club access ticket due to expire at the end of the year so I'm wondering if I should use it in PHL or ORD. Normally, I'd pick ORD but its a somewhat short layover.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 6:41 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Speaking of the original topic--whether or not the Club is worth it--I reluctantly renewed for 2014. I have several upcoming trips with reasonably long layovers at UA and US airports and want to be able to access the clubs rather than sitting at the gate for 3+ hours.

Of course, subsequent to renewing, I have learned I'll likely need to postpone or cancel several of those trips--meaning I could have just let it expire, rant to UA about why I'd let it go, and then quietly renew and pay the extra miles/fee when my travel picked back up in March.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.