Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Club - Worth it for 2013-2014?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2012, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
For anyone that's recently joined the UC, what expiry did they give you - 12 months from the day you joined, or 12 months from the end of the month in which you joined?

I seem to remember some recent talk about it being month end, which actually makes waiting until next week a better option than joining today - it may cost $25 more, but that'll include an extra months membership.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis President's Club
Thanks all for the input and comments on this topic. Decided to take the plunge and go for the three-year deal before it's gone--this is FlyerTalk after all, no one wants to pay more for anything travel-related than they absolutely half to

See you in the friendly skies!
Old Dec 29, 2012, 5:42 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
I'm locked into the UA club card as I use it as my primary card when traveling internationally, which is a lot since I live outside the USA. Add in the $60 statement credit and I'm down to 335 per year which I can live with as it gives me UA Club access, no forex fees, 1.5 miles on all charges with 2 on UA purchases. I certainly wish they had 5k PQM on this card as well, but oh well.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 5:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
Isn't getting * gold with another star alliance carrier better value?
I set aside 50k eqms travel with TG and that gives me 2yrs *G.
This is great value for those with excess travel which u can dump to another ffp.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 9:23 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by docbert
For anyone that's recently joined the UC, what expiry did they give you - 12 months from the day you joined, or 12 months from the end of the month in which you joined?

I seem to remember some recent talk about it being month end, which actually makes waiting until next week a better option than joining today - it may cost $25 more, but that'll include an extra months membership.
Actually, they seemed to have started this with last year's renewals. My expiration date on my UC card is December 4, 2012, but my membership does not expire until December 31. I am going to renew in January, and I expect to see the new expiration be January 31. I will wait until after January 15 to renew since I have no plans to fly until February and waiting another month is not worth it if I have to pay the initiation fee and the increased rate.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by ws8n
Isn't getting * gold with another star alliance carrier better value?
This is great value for those with excess travel which u can dump to another ffp.
Many of us, including myself, have 50-75EQMs a year total--not just lying around. Other than approx. 1 overseas trip a year, My UA-based *G lounge access is useless to me.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by donjo
It is nice to go in and get a quick drink and the paper even if a connection is tight.
What paper? At ORD unless you are there at the crack of dawn they are usually all gone.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:49 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ws8n
50k EQM is a lot for most people, and would cause them to drop to a lower UA tier, and/or give up a number of GPU/RDU's.

Even ignoring that, doing 50k on another airline for me would mean about 100K less UA RDM for the year. Sure, I'd also end up with 50+K on TG or whichever other airline it was (there are better options than TG), but it's still a 50K hit which is a lot - especially when UC membership only costs 40K miles (or will, if they ever bring that option back from it's "temporary" unavailability).
Old Dec 29, 2012, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA PG/UC, SW Alist
I was a bit bummed to see that they are not offering renewal with miles, only with $.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
UA really needs showers at LAX - a major international arrival point. Before when CO and DL were hooked up in Skyteam - at least at LAX you could take the tunnel over to DL where they had two showers.

AA is the best at LAX for large lounge, several showers, and both an AC and a Flagship Lounge. AA did a major remodel some years back and build a large club on the second floor of the terminal. But you can't get between UA / DL terminal and AA from inside security. UA needs to raise the roof like AA did in Terminal 4.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 6:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by ORDFlightDelay
What paper? At ORD unless you are there at the crack of dawn they are usually all gone.
For which club at ORD are you referring to? I got a paper this Friday. Yes, it is the holiday season, and there aren't as many elite travelers this time of the year, but I was there in the middle of the day.

IAD is good about replenishing papers. SFO seems to run out by midday. It seems to depend on how many people visit the clubs and whether they take the papers or focus on the snacks/drinks.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2M
Originally Posted by thranduil
I was a bit bummed to see that they are not offering renewal with miles, only with $.
As noted in another thread, 1K and GS members can renew using miles by calling the published number 1-866-822-5827. I did this two weeks ago and was told that the reason this option is not yet generally available is that each mileage-based renewal must be entered manually. I was told that "shortly after the first of the year" a web-based option for renewal using miles will be available for all.

Note that the three-year renewal option, whether for cash or for miles, will be discontinued in 2013.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 9:57 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
I was told it's Platinum, 1K and GS when I called.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, CX GR, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry
I called the published number last week and was told that the mileage amounts will not be going up with the increase in $ on Jan 1st.

Additionally, the three-year option is 110k miles.

FWIW I will be purchasing the three-year on the 31st. I figure irrops will happen and I guest friends going on international trips when the timing works in SFO.

Last edited by USFdonWill; Dec 29, 2012 at 10:19 pm
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by ORDFlightDelay
Where do they go? You mean people take them?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.