Wiki Posts
Search

United Club - Worth it for 2013-2014?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2012, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by golfingboy

My UA Club membership is set to expire at the end of April, so I got screwed with the rate increase. I am not sure if it is worth renewing It is nice being able to use the US Club in PIT. Oh well.
You can renew anytime. I don't expire until July, but just sprang for the 3-year which should kick in when my old term expires.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:03 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by milepig
You can renew anytime. I don't expire until July, but just sprang for the 3-year which should kick in when my old term expires.
Do you mean if I renew now, it won't go into effect until May in my case and it will be good through May 2014?
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:47 am

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ChrisInSD
I'm not really into applying for credit cards and taking the hit on my credit to get freebies (w/ the exception of the amazing Venture card match my miles thing a couple of years back). I'm not sure why this particular card is a good deal anyway, since it costs more over three years than if I just buy the Club membership separately...

My SPG AMEX card offers many of the same benefits + others so I'm pretty pleased with it.
The club card could be your Visa/MC unless you prefer your Venture card. The club card also offers 1.5 pts/dollar of spend. You should really check out the other threads for full details on the card. I think you should analyze the Club Card in the context of it being one of your primary cards, not as one you have just for the United Club benefit. That is, you should consider replacing all your existing cards with the Club Card. The economics of this are better.

That said, I too have the SPG card and pay the annual fee. I do this to keep my business and personal charges separate and so I put up with two annual fees.

Do you own a business? If so, you can expense the card fee which is a big value compared to the club fee which you can't expense.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Do you mean if I renew now, it won't go into effect until May in my case and it will be good through May 2014?
Correct. It basically extends your membership.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 4:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by c502cid
I'm going to join the AA club too for the same reasons even though I feel it is even worse than the UA club experience.
You must not have visited any AC's lately - the new one at SFO is much better than any UC, and the ACs at ORD and DFW are equal if not better than any UC - they have showers, for example, something you won't find at any domestic UC.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 7:36 pm

Programs: 3 Month Delta Plat, UA PP 2.4mm, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Lifetime Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by halls120
You must not have visited any AC's lately - the new one at SFO is much better than any UC, and the ACs at ORD and DFW are equal if not better than any UC - they have showers, for example, something you won't find at any domestic UC.
Actually I have, and we each have things we value more than others. I fly domestic only so no need for showers. Free snack selection is worse, same amount of uncontrolled kids running around. Same level of cleanliness. I have not visited the new one in SFO yet so I will be sure to check it out.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
The main UC at EWR has showers.

SunLover
Old Dec 24, 2012, 9:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
I am a UC member that, due to going gold, I am not renewing..
My best benefits have been from partner lounges on int flights...

I am not renewing mainly due to the UCs being terrible value domestically.. the number one reason being no announcements in the lounge which lead me to leaving the lounge on time, trekking to the gate and having to wait at the gate due to a delay..

other big reasons for not renewing:
*No showers
*Food sucks big time
*Over crowded
*disgusting restrooms no better than the terminal
*no outside food
*no food for sale
*Making gold..

Airport vendors will be getting my $$ now
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
The UCs at EWR and IAH have showers (and how I wish the renovated ORD T2 club would've had a shower or two...or that any other UA hub would get showers at the clubs).

Last edited by rob_flies_ua; Dec 24, 2012 at 10:58 pm
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:23 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
I love United...but I find it beyond belief that UC's in ORD do not offer showers. I willl change my FT sig and keep it that way if others do the same. It will say "United Clubs in ORD should offer showers." Anyone with me?
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
The UCs at EWR and IAH have showers (and how I wish the renovated ORD T2 club would've had a shower or two...or that any other UA hub would get showers at the clubs).
SFO also has showers in Intl Arrivals club.

Originally Posted by lensman
The club card could be your Visa/MC unless you prefer your Venture card. The club card also offers 1.5 pts/dollar of spend. You should really check out the other threads for full details on the card. I think you should analyze the Club Card in the context of it being one of your primary cards, not as one you have just for the United Club benefit. That is, you should consider replacing all your existing cards with the Club Card. The economics of this are better.

That said, I too have the SPG card and pay the annual fee. I do this to keep my business and personal charges separate and so I put up with two annual fees.

Do you own a business? If so, you can expense the card fee which is a big value compared to the club fee which you can't expense.
Thanks for the comment. I really am happy with the SPG AMEX card for personal travel. Turning 20k pts to 25k AAdvantage miles is a nice feature, as are many of the other bennies. Not 1.5 like UA card, but a lot lower fee with points that are far more flexible than UA miles.

I am not self-employed and am required to charge all work related air and lodging to a company issued card. If I got the Club card it would mean I would ditch the SPG card as my main personal card, and I just think the SPG card is more useful. If Club card came with some PQM earning opportunities it would be a different story... I think US or AA or someone has/had a card like that...

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 25, 2012 at 6:37 am Reason: merge
Old Dec 25, 2012, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
That's nt a club benefit. I consider it more of a tease, as I almost never qualify for entry (and when I did my flight was delayed past closing time).
Old Dec 25, 2012, 1:12 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
True, as does ORD, but in neither case will a United Club membership grant you access to them
Old Dec 25, 2012, 1:08 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
I love United...but I find it beyond belief that UC's in ORD do not offer showers. I willl change my FT sig and keep it that way if others do the same. It will say "United Clubs in ORD should offer showers." Anyone with me?
I am with you, I took it a little further
Old Dec 25, 2012, 4:07 pm
Suspended

The only time the United Club card makes sense is when you can get the first year annual fee waived. If that offer is not available, then I would go for the 3-year membership if lounging in one of the restaurant/bar or gate area is not your cup of tea.

My UA Club membership is set to expire at the end of April, so I got screwed with the rate increase. I am not sure if it is worth renewing It is nice being able to use the US Club in PIT. Oh well.

P.S. If you are a 1K and you have a Chase UA co-branded card, you will get $60 statement credit every year. I know this does not apply in the OP's case, but I thought I'd point this out for those who are 1Ks trying to decide whether s/he should get the card or renew the card.
I believe the United Club card is now first year free according to the offers I've seen and heard about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.