Wiki Posts
Search

United Club - Worth it for 2013-2014?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis President's Club
United Club - Worth it for 2013-2014?

I've been toying around with joining United Club for the next year. I'm a Gold whose travel pattern ranges from Silver-Platinum, depending on the year. I don't live at a UA hub and often am forced to connect, so benefits are more meaningful given I contend with layovers.

While investigating this, I've discovered that in one week rates are going up $25 for each individual membership class (and $100 for w/spouse rates). Also, the 3-year membership option is being discontinued.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...nge/rates.aspx

This leaves me with the question--is it worth it to buy a membership for someone like me? And should I go for the three-year before it goes away.
Assuming another $25 price hike 1/1/14, then the three year cost savings is $325...

Thoughts all? I know, I know the new United Club is bad compared to RCC, etc (generally nothing is good about the New United vs the old w/respect to benefits)--however, these lounges are STILL better than hanging out in the airport.

Anyone who has spent any time in SAN's T1 will agree.

Last edited by ChrisInSD; Dec 23, 2012 at 11:26 am Reason: spelling
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:19 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I would suggest the United Club Credit Card, first year is $300 after $95 statement credit. Also if you check out the offer section, you can get 30,000+ mile sign up bonus (Flyertalk Credit Cards).
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
pros/cons of the UC are regularly discussed, some more recent threads

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-club-fee.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ited-club.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...olute-pit.html
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Youngmiler
I would suggest the United Club Credit Card, first year is $300 after $95 statement credit. Also if you check out the offer section, you can get 30,000+ mile sign up bonus (Flyertalk Credit Cards).
Agree the united chase card is a better value. $395 annual fee; club membership, no foreign transaction fees, primary rental car insurance, mies just to name a few.

Thats what I do; I figure with my international travel the card practically pays for itself.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I had searched for and read some posts, but missed these. Thanks for sharing, they are good. My general sense is much moaning and complaining about how awful it all is, but I don't really see anybody running for the exits and not re-upping. I fly almost exclusively domestic, so I was only able to use my *G lounge access ONCE this past year on a vacation to Asia in Y+. And when I fly overseas for work I fly J anyway so *G lounge access is basically useless...

Last edited by ChrisInSD; Dec 23, 2012 at 2:21 pm
Old Dec 23, 2012, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mccullo3
Agree the united chase card is a better value. $395 annual fee; club membership, no foreign transaction fees, primary rental car insurance, mies just to name a few.

Thats what I do; I figure with my international travel the card practically pays for itself.
I'm not really into applying for credit cards and taking the hit on my credit to get freebies (w/ the exception of the amazing Venture card match my miles thing a couple of years back). I'm not sure why this particular card is a good deal anyway, since it costs more over three years than if I just buy the Club membership separately...

My SPG AMEX card offers many of the same benefits + others so I'm pretty pleased with it.

Last edited by ChrisInSD; Dec 23, 2012 at 2:19 pm
Old Dec 23, 2012, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
i am in a similar situation as you w/ connections, but at the price they charge for yearly membership, i rarely find myself longing for lounge access. i purposefully book the shortest connection possible which is rarely more than an hour and a half, and by the time i deplane and get to the club then get to the next gate for boarding, i really only would have 30-45 mins to spend in the club...for the quality fo the product it just doesn't add up for me personally. i'm privy enough to the UA hubs that i know the quiet spots for a drink/computer table (ie, Wicker Park at ORD) and at IAD if I have a longish layover i just use the LH lounge. however if there was ever a YMMV situation, this is it!
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ddrost1
however if there was ever a YMMV situation, this is it!
Totally agree. Thx!
Old Dec 24, 2012, 3:38 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ChrisInSD
I'm not really into applying for credit cards and taking the hit on my credit to get freebies (w/ the exception of the amazing Venture card match my miles thing a couple of years back). I'm not sure why this particular card is a good deal anyway, since it costs more over three years than if I just buy the Club membership separately...

My SPG AMEX card offers many of the same benefits + others so I'm pretty pleased with it.
Actually, I've been playing quite conservatively the credit card sign up bonus and found that with more cards, my credit hasn't shifted very much. It shifts more from my monthly spend than adding cards. I'll have months when the total due on all the cards is upward of $6k and months when the total is much less. I pay the balance off every month.

I think it's a widely held myth that adding a card will hurt your credit.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 5:56 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by manneca
Actually, I've been playing quite conservatively the credit card sign up bonus and found that with more cards, my credit hasn't shifted very much. It shifts more from my monthly spend than adding cards. I'll have months when the total due on all the cards is upward of $6k and months when the total is much less. I pay the balance off every month.

I think it's a widely held myth that adding a card will hurt your credit.
It isn't a myth-- too many hits can send your score down-- but that is only supposed to happen with the third inquiry within a rolling 6 month period absent other negative factors.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 7:40 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by mccullo3

My wife and I both fly a lot (and typically not together). Do you know how much a spouse membership is? That's where the increase gets a bit painful.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 8:15 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ght=club+worth

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ight=RCC+worth
Old Dec 24, 2012, 9:01 am

Programs: 3 Month Delta Plat, UA PP 2.4mm, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Lifetime Diamond, National EE
I asked myself the same question, and even more so now that AA is getting a small share of my business. Since I'm one of those who feel the whole club experience is a disaster anymore, I quit for the first time in 14 years. That lasted all of two months and I re-upped with the 3 years for miles deal. Why did I re-up? Irrops. It used to be when I landed and there was something amiss in my travel, UA would have re-booked me already and I got the voicemail telling me what gate I was heading to next. Since that is gone (worse issue with the merger imo), sooner or later I'm going to need the shorter line and the agents in the club. I'm going to join the AA club too for the same reasons even though I feel it is even worse than the UA club experience.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 9:20 am

Programs: 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, AA Exec. Plat
It is nice to go in and get a quick drink and the paper even if a connection is tight.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 9:35 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

The only time the United Club card makes sense is when you can get the first year annual fee waived. If that offer is not available, then I would go for the 3-year membership if lounging in one of the restaurant/bar or gate area is not your cup of tea.

My UA Club membership is set to expire at the end of April, so I got screwed with the rate increase. I am not sure if it is worth renewing It is nice being able to use the US Club in PIT. Oh well.

P.S. If you are a 1K and you have a Chase UA co-branded card, you will get $60 statement credit every year. I know this does not apply in the OP's case, but I thought I'd point this out for those who are 1Ks trying to decide whether s/he should get the card or renew the card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.