Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Do you take stuff from United Club? or seen others do that?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you take stuff from United Club? or seen others do that?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2015, 1:55 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by airplanegod

Oh, and to answer the OP's question, this man (or anyone) taking stuff out of the club is not the reason we can't have nice things, it's the airlines who feel they don't need to upgrade their product or offer anything more than the bare minimum. Not saying it's a bad thing, but there is a reason why International clubs are highly rated and the US clubs have a negative reputation elsewhere.
No it's certainly a contributor. If the average customer takes so much food/drink that your costs of replenishing supplies to some reasonable level of quality goes through the roof, what can you do but lower the quality of service?
Old May 21, 2016, 1:23 am
TA

I think I spotted him again since I posted originally 1 year ago... Or at least this is one of his relatives. This guy, right now in Paris *A lounge, has been making multiple trips to the buffet, filling up the plastic bags you see with:

-- cheese
-- nuts
-- bread
-- meats

And the 1.5L water bottle (yes large size) is going to be completely wasted given that x-ray security is *after* the club in CDG...
Attached Images  

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 21, 2016 at 5:34 pm Reason: removed dup image
Old May 21, 2016, 4:32 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
outrageous.

is he filling plates, and then bagging at his seat? or straight up bagging at the spread itself? i would confront him and then take pictures with him knowing (i probably wouldn't post his face publicly because this seems like a mental health issue), but i know other FTers don't feel the same way.
Old May 21, 2016, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by riphamilton
outrageous.

is he filling plates, and then bagging at his seat? or straight up bagging at the spread itself? i would confront him and then take pictures with him knowing (i probably wouldn't post his face publicly because this seems like a mental health issue), but i know other FTers don't feel the same way.
Now this is why whenever I've gone to the Star Alliance lounge in CDG it is always cleaned out of food. It's a weak lounge.
Old May 21, 2016, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Jorgen
I don't always steal an apple from the lounge, but when I do, I hold it high in front of my face on the way out so it looks like I'm engaged in the process of eating it.
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
How very Margritte.
I think it's more how Jonathan Goldsmith.

Originally Posted by spearsba
Funny, reminds me of boarding UA flights at ICN. They do a final security screen down before entering the aircraft. Amazing to see how many people have taken cans of drinks from the Asiana Lounge. Security takes the cans and presumably returns them to the club?
I've never had that happen to me at ICN. But a couple of times at PEK, security took bottles and cans of stuff that I had either purchased in the airport or taken from the lounges for the flight home. If I'm flying J or F, I'll almost never do that, because the FAs give everyone plenty of attention, but if I'm flying Y, sometimes it's easier to just carry my own drinks instead of bugging the FAs all the time.
Old May 21, 2016, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by STS-134
I think it's more how Jonathan Goldsmith.

I've never had that happen to me at ICN. But a couple of times at PEK, security took bottles and cans of stuff that I had either purchased in the airport or taken from the lounges for the flight home. If I'm flying J or F, I'll almost never do that, because the FAs give everyone plenty of attention, but if I'm flying Y, sometimes it's easier to just carry my own drinks instead of bugging the FAs all the time.
No water (no fluids) out of Beijing.

If you do put it inside something (some zippered bag) which isn't a 'grocery' sack. I've never had them do anything aside from unzip my bags and poke inside. I always have many zippered bags inside my carryons.

Of course be ready to throw it away.
Old May 22, 2016, 7:24 am
TA

Originally Posted by riphamilton
outrageous.

It was very strange. He would bring back smaller bags that he had filled with things like the cheeses, and put them in the bigger bag. At one point he came back holding the bigger bag though. I don't think they were filled to the brim, actually, but it was pretty obvious.

I have a photo of his face from the side, but as you say, that might be a bit too much public shaming.

He was in E+ during the flight so I hope he got full enjoyment from all the food...
Old May 22, 2016, 7:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TA
I have a photo of his face from the side, but as you say, that might be a bit too much public shaming.
I think he needs to be shamed. Post the photo!!!!
Old May 22, 2016, 9:48 am

I pick up food from lounges - especially before flying one of those greedy uncaring carriers that do not feel it necessary to properly feed their customers on a flight, you know which ones

For those so inclined - I'll be glad to guest you at a lounge, and I won't shame you if you take a brownie or a club sandwich to go either. Then again, that can't be a UA club - they have no food (unless you can eat stale bread rolls and bottom shelf cheese).
Old May 22, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by br2k
Then again, that can't be a UA club - they have no food (unless you can eat stale bread rolls and bottom shelf cheese).
In fact the food improved significantly in 2015, and it is expected to take another noticeable leap soon, if the tests being carried out in Chicago are any indication.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rward-111.html
Old May 22, 2016, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I never looked and have never seen but will look next time I go to a club, but are there any signs that say all club food must be consumed in the club? Not saying taking is right or wrong, just curious. Frankly up to this point there is really nothing I would want to take out of the club. But if ORD is the way of things to come ....

Last edited by Baze; May 22, 2016 at 1:01 pm Reason: fixed typo
Old May 22, 2016, 12:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Baze
I never looked and have never seen but will look next time I go to a club, but are there any signs that say all club food must be consumed in the club? Not saying taking is right or wrong, just curious. ....
United Club terms and conditions
Food, beverages and periodicals provided are for consumption and use in the club and may not be removed.
However there is probably an expectation of minor, small quantity of carryout. The issue here seems to be what is appropriate and what is not.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 22, 2016 at 2:16 pm Reason: typo
Old May 22, 2016, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
United Club terms and conditions

However there is probably an expectation of minor, small quantity of carryon. The issue here seems to be what is appropriate and what is not.
I know it is in the T&C's and what the discussion is about, I was just wondering if it is actually posted anywhere in the club. We all know everyone reads and memorizes all the T&C's of things

A piece of fruit, a cookie or 2 is fine, but bags of food is totally inappropriate.
Old May 22, 2016, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Just last week I watched someone dump the entire supply of hot chocolate mix into his bag.
Old May 22, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by milepig
Just last week I watched someone dump the entire supply of hot chocolate mix into his bag.
How do people do this / get away with it without feeling any kind of shame? Seems that they figure that they will take advantage of the collective action conundrum (e.g. Kitty Genovese) and do nothing. TBH, I would probably be one of those people, but after reading these stories - I will flag it to club staff if I see it happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.