Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Do you take stuff from United Club? or seen others do that?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you take stuff from United Club? or seen others do that?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titan
Saw someone at EWR doing his best to empty a tower of fun into a freedom baggie.
Old May 22, 2016, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milepig
Just last week I watched someone dump the entire supply of hot chocolate mix into his bag.
Think I would have confronted them and said something like:

Excuse me, but others would like some too.

The nerve of some people. Probably a selfish millennial who got a trophy for showing up and feels entitled.
Old May 22, 2016, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
I see this even in the GFL lounges and I'm always amazed - these people spend $10k to fly F to Asia and steal a $0.99 cup of noodles lol....

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 23, 2016 at 12:11 am Reason: removed response to deleted OT post
Old May 22, 2016, 4:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by halls120
I think he needs to be shamed. Post the photo!!!!
+1

Why did the OP not report this to the lounge staff immediately? This person should have been thrown out!
Old May 22, 2016, 4:38 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Where's the border of "stealing"? Is taking a pack of crisps / slice of cake / biscuits for the flight, or even for eating on arrival, really that bad? A big bag is clearly excessive, but a few small items?

Even a cup of noodles is understandable: plenty of asian airports have hot water dispensers, maybe they were going to transit an airport with terrible lounge facilites. Or maybe they even wanted this for the flight as their main meal as an extra snack, or backup food.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 23, 2016 at 12:07 am Reason: removed response to deleted OT comments
Old May 22, 2016, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by televisor
Where's the border of "stealing"? Is taking a pack of crisps / slice of cake / biscuits for the flight, or even for eating on arrival, really that bad? A big bag is clearly excessive, but a few small items?

Even a cup of noodles is understandable: plenty of asian airports have hot water dispensers, maybe they were going to transit an airport with terrible lounge facilites. Or maybe they even wanted this for the flight as their main meal as an extra snack, or backup food.
Totally get your perspective - but if I'm an international F passenger - and transiting - I'm assuming I'd have lounge acces at the transit point - why sneak a cup of noodles from the lounge?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 23, 2016 at 12:07 am Reason: Updated quote to relect Moderator edit
Old May 22, 2016, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Food, beverages and periodicals provided are for consumption and use in the club and may not be removed.
Despite the T&Cs say so, what UA has done contradicts to this term.

At the minimum - hot beverage cups in UC are designed to be removed from the UC.

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
In fact the food improved significantly in 2015, and it is expected to take another noticeable leap soon, if the tests being carried out in Chicago are any indication.
The improvement is simply not significant enough.

Originally Posted by televisor
But back to topic: where's the border of "stealing"? Is taking a pack of crisps / slice of cake / biscuits for the flight, or even for eating on arrival, really that bad? A big bag is clearly excessive, but a few small items?
I would say if the item is prepacked and can be removed from the lounge, be my guest.

Using a bag to take away will be unreasonable.

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Totally get your perspective - but if I'm an international F passenger - and transiting - I'm assuming I'd have lounge acces at the transit point - why sneak a cup of noodles from the lounge?
1. Not everyone is traveling in F.

2. F does not mean good catering.
Old May 22, 2016, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by garykung

1. Not everyone is traveling in F.

2. F does not mean good catering.
My post was specifically about the first class lounges - but agree it doesn't
Old May 22, 2016, 11:50 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I see this even in the GFL lounges and I'm always amazed - these people spend $10k to fly F to Asia and steal a $0.99 cup of noodles lol....

Hey! You promised not to say anything!

I probably would have said something - and anyone who knows me knows it would not be in a hushed tone either.
Old May 23, 2016, 12:03 am
Suspended

Hey, everyone grabs a few crackers. Really, par for the course. Much to do about nothing, LOL.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: United Silver | UA Explorer
I was wondering the same thing.

Once I had a quick connection and didn't have time to eat in the lounge so I took a juice and crackers for the trip. Nobody had a problem with it. Though maybe I should have told the staff just to be on the safe side. Since I don't really want to get arrested for stealing a juice and cracker from the UC. As I recall that was the only time I took something from UC. Besides one time where I didn't finish a juice and took it 75% empty.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I might have a couple of UC napkins...
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by chessanalyst
.... Though maybe I should have told the staff just to be on the safe side. ...
Unnecessary if a small item.

Originally Posted by chessanalyst
....Since I don't really want to get arrested for stealing a juice and cracker from the UC. ....
Not going to happen.

I'm sure most on this forum have taken a newspaper, a drink, a piece of fruit, a couple of cookies, ..... many times with no issue.

It is the folks that take bags of items that people get upset with.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 5:12 pm

Programs: United Silver | UA Explorer
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

Not going to happen.
Was implying some strong sarcasm with getting arrested.

On a more serious note I am often more tempted to lift something from the international lounges since I can't get whatever is there back home. Specifically at NRT. Just wish some of the food lasted the duration of the trip.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Is it difficult not to take anything (however small) out of the lounge ?
I do not see how taking anything out is OK ? Lounge food is for
lounge consumption only...There is absolutely NO NEED to carry stuff
outside. Finish what you are drinking/eating in the lounge and if you need
to eat something outside, buy it from vendors...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.