Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Do you take stuff from United Club? or seen others do that?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you take stuff from United Club? or seen others do that?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by flyalways
Is it difficult not to take anything (however small) out of the lounge ?
I do not see how taking anything out is OK ? Lounge food is for
lounge consumption only...There is absolutely NO NEED to carry stuff
outside. Finish what you are drinking/eating in the lounge and if you need
to eat something outside, buy it from vendors...
On my return home I grab a coffee for the road, never been a problem. Staff knows me well and knows what my intentions are.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 6:04 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I did not realize that I was not supposed to take a newspaper from the UC Club. In lounges from other airlines there's a big mark on each of them saying only for lounge reading (Finnair comes to my mind). Even worse, if I'm running between flights at ORD, I will enter in the UC Club just for the newspaper.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
I take a to-go cup of coffee. I figure that’s why they have to-go cups and lids along side the mugs.

Sometimes, I’ll even get daring and take a banana for the road. I don’t feel bad about it. Not one iota.
jonisflying and Coskigirl like this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA 1P (w/ no expectations whatsoever); Marriott Gold; Hilton Silver; Hertz Pres
Guess I'm guilty...for me it's usually a (tiny) to-go cup of coffee for the road, a banana or apple (or one I'm finishing eating), one or two of the Lifesavers mints, or a newspaper/magazine.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 6:31 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyalways
Is it difficult not to take anything (however small) out of the lounge ?
I do not see how taking anything out is OK ? Lounge food is for
lounge consumption only...There is absolutely NO NEED to carry stuff
outside. Finish what you are drinking/eating in the lounge and if you need
to eat something outside, buy it from vendors...
I disagree. If I'm flying coach then there is reason to take food onto the plane. I've taken a roll and some nut mix from the Club onto the plane. So sue me. I'm cheap. That $450 for membership has to be used somehow and I don't drink alcohol in the Clubs.
Dublin_rfk and kaffir76 like this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
The last time I went through the BOS UC, they were doing a trial of little "To Go" bags, which they were encouraging people to load with trial mix or cookies. I don't know if they're still doing this.

It would be nice to feel like you could grab an apple or a cup of coffee to go, if you only had a few minutes between flights, without feeling like you were breaking the rules......
Old Oct 30, 2017, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by porciuscato
The last time I went through the BOS UC, they were doing a trial of little "To Go" bags, which they were encouraging people to load with trial mix or cookies. I don't know if they're still doing this.

It would be nice to feel like you could grab an apple or a cup of coffee to go, if you only had a few minutes between flights, without feeling like you were breaking the rules......

Here's the bag o' snacks I actually took from the BOS club 2 weeks ago. A bit too lemony flavor for my taste.

​​​​​​​David
Attached Images  
Old Oct 30, 2017, 9:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
I've never taken anything bigger than a pack of cookies, which typically occurs during one of my 4-minute lounge visits on a tight connection. If I actually have time to eat/drink in the lounge, I feel bad about taking anything with me afterward.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, DL PM/1MM, Marriott Amb/LT Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by DELee
Here's the bag o' snacks I actually took from the BOS club 2 weeks ago. A bit too lemony flavor for my taste.

​​​​​​​David
They were still doing that in the BOS club last week. They even had empty snack bags and you could fill them up with other stuff. I took one and made my own to-go snack bag. I figured that that's what it's for.

I've also taken coffee in a to-go cup and some tea bags for the plane. As dmurphynj pointed out, isn't that why they have "to go" cups with lids? Back when they had the individually wrapped cheese, I used to take a few pieces of cheese with crackers for the plane.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
Go ahead and roast me for this.

In the evening on my flight home, I'll sometimes load up a to-go coffee cup with the rest of my red wine. Makes for a more pleasant boarding process.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nycityny
I disagree. If I'm flying coach then there is reason to take food onto the plane. I've taken a roll and some nut mix from the Club onto the plane. So sue me. I'm cheap. That $450 for membership has to be used somehow and I don't drink alcohol in the Clubs.
If you joined United club (paying $450) expecting to recover it by
taking out food for later consumption then you have not joined for
the right reasons.

With this attitude I can see two things happening..
- Even more reduced food offerings at lounge
- Annual fee being raised

If everyone follows your logic then it is not sustainable for the lounge IMHO.
Lounge food is for lounge only !
Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
People need to act like grownups. Rationalizations for theft are not acting like a grownup. E.g., "they didn't glue the chair to the floor so I figured it was mine to take."

It is self-evident what is intended for consumption in the Club and what is not. Styrofoam cups with lids suggest that it's fine to take a coffee. Bags for you to fill with popcorn on your way out suggest that it's fine to take a bag with you.

Stuffing plastic baggies you bring along with the food offerings rather than bringing a snack or buying one is just plain old thievery (not that it means that you need to go to prison, just that it's wrong).

Rationalizations such as, "others drink 3 glasses of cheap booze and I don't, so I stole X" also don't cut it.

If the UC is not good value, don't use it.

The end result of the larger problem is simply a reduction in the offerings or a price increase.
flyalways and Coskigirl like this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
People need to act like grownups. Rationalizations for theft are not acting like a grownup. E.g., "they didn't glue the chair to the floor so I figured it was mine to take."

It is self-evident what is intended for consumption in the Club and what is not. Styrofoam cups with lids suggest that it's fine to take a coffee. Bags for you to fill with popcorn on your way out suggest that it's fine to take a bag with you.

Stuffing plastic baggies you bring along with the food offerings rather than bringing a snack or buying one is just plain old thievery (not that it means that you need to go to prison, just that it's wrong).

Rationalizations such as, "others drink 3 glasses of cheap booze and I don't, so I stole X" also don't cut it.

If the UC is not good value, don't use it.

The end result of the larger problem is simply a reduction in the offerings or a price increase.

And if one enters the club and there is nowhere to sit, what is your judgement then ? Reduction in offerings ? Until recently, it would have been MORE reduction in offerings.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I'm happy to admit it: I do take things once in a while. It's not much - sometimes a pack or two of crackers - maybe one of the packaged cheeses, or similar. Or a banana. Things like that. I don't think about it much in advance, and certainly am not bringing empty ziplok or other bags to stuff full of Club items. I do it in the PP lounge sometimes as well. If that makes me a bad person to others, so be it. Here's another secret - at the YYZ MLL - I often take one the candies they have on the desk as I'm leaving - oooh....that must be a bad one....

If you're on a flight with me and my toddler, you (and the flight crew) can thank me later. Sometimes, a single pack of crackers or banana at the right time can avoid a potential tantrum. I get those without kids won't understand, but its true. So in advance...you're welcome. Note I do try and bring stuff from home, but especially on the return, it's not always feasible.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I'm happy to admit it: I do take things once in a while. It's not much - sometimes a pack or two of crackers - maybe one of the packaged cheeses, or similar. Or a banana. Things like that. I don't think about it much in advance, and certainly am not bringing empty ziplok or other bags to stuff full of Club items. I do it in the PP lounge sometimes as well. If that makes me a bad person to others, so be it. Here's another secret - at the YYZ MLL - I often take one the candies they have on the desk as I'm leaving - oooh....that must be a bad one....

If you're on a flight with me and my toddler, you (and the flight crew) can thank me later. Sometimes, a single pack of crackers or banana at the right time can avoid a potential tantrum. I get those without kids won't understand, but its true. So in advance...you're welcome. Note I do try and bring stuff from home, but especially on the return, it's not always feasible.
All of the items that you mention are available for Sale outside..
You can buy them and use...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.