Community
Wiki Posts
Search

COPA Upgrades for United members?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2013, 7:37 pm

Looks like it won't happen for this leg, business is showing full as of late this afternoon (I think they did tell me that at least one of us was on the waitlist, not sure, I couldn't understand very well!) One of our return legs looks like it has a total of about 15 people in Y (they can't all be premier, right?) and an empty front cabin, so I will keep my fingers crossed for that leg.

Any thoughts as to the 3 hour recommended check-in time? in LAX? PTY? CUR? I'm not enthusiastic about spending that much time at the airport, and we should have priority check-in, haven't been able to check in online though as this is apparently not working today.

Thanks!!
Old Jul 30, 2013, 8:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by amybd
Looks like it won't happen for this leg, business is showing full as of late this afternoon (I think they did tell me that at least one of us was on the waitlist, not sure, I couldn't understand very well!) One of our return legs looks like it has a total of about 15 people in Y (they can't all be premier, right?) and an empty front cabin, so I will keep my fingers crossed for that leg.

Any thoughts as to the 3 hour recommended check-in time? in LAX? PTY? CUR? I'm not enthusiastic about spending that much time at the airport, and we should have priority check-in, haven't been able to check in online though as this is apparently not working today.

Thanks!!
Do you get Premier check-in? If so, 2 hours at LAX more than sufficient. At PTY, check in online and skip horrendous check-in line. 2 hours more than sufficient there as well. Note that Copa boards early at PTY so be at gate by T-45 latest.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by waingro
Thanks for the heads up about access to the lounge in PTY! I am transferring there on way to LIM next month. I have Priority Pass, but good to have another option.
The Priority Pass lounge (the former AA club--the five star AC logo is still in the floor in the entryway) at PTY is much better. Much smaller, but a better free booze selection and better snacks. The Copa Club is literally identical to a United Club in every aspect (except for a couple of local beers).
Old Aug 4, 2013, 1:15 pm

My experience is that companions of Silver members do not seem to be eligible for upgrades. When checking in at LAX we were told only I could be on the wait list for an upgrade. We decided to decline and sat together in coach. When we were boarding our next flight they handed me my boarding stub with a new seat in business. That was fine, but unexpected and it certainly would have been nice to have a few minutes to go redistribute the carry ons so everyone had the right books, etc. Also, the food was dismal in business, and the coach snack was far, far better. There was at least one empty seat in business.

I just got an email, 5 days from our return flight that I was upgraded for the short leg of the return flight with a confirmation code that didn't look familiar. Uh oh. Sure enough, just me upgraded and split to a new PNR. Something I never would have done at least not before checking in for the last leg of our trip. I was in the aisle seat that my husband wants, that one was now taken, so I had to go in and move the seats for the other 2 as well. Obviously no hope for upgrading either of them now since we arent even companions anymore as far as the record is concerned. Will they refuse to do priority checkin for all of us since we aren't on the same PNR? I guess we'll see, and fingers crossed there are no equipment changes or irrops that mess things up further.

Priority checkin in Panama worked well, and checkin was fine in LAX either way, but we saved a huge amount of time in security there. 2 hours was more than enough.

A tip: we saw someone on the LAX to PTY leg being served the most amazing looking Kosher meal in coach.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
FWIW, I have been noticing Copa is beginning to follow the UA pattern of opening up I (business saver) space around T-24 which is a change from what has been reported about Copa in the past (holding on to business space)...so, if you're on an award in Y, it's worth checking around T-24 to see if you can make the switch (which can be done online of course).
Old Aug 5, 2013, 10:58 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by amybd
Also, the food was dismal in business, and the coach snack was far, far better.
+1

I don't often enjoy the food in COPA J, though many people have a different opinion. My wife and I agree that we like the snacks in Y more. This applies to both UA and COPA.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by coolcoil
+1

I don't often enjoy the food in COPA J, though many people have a different opinion. My wife and I agree that we like the snacks in Y more. This applies to both UA and COPA.
Explain? (I'm flying Copa J one-way and Y the other way so I'll know more after that but I was just wondering if you could elaborate )
Old Aug 5, 2013, 8:26 pm

If flying in J and the food is nasty, try asking for the Y snack instead. Several of the other passengers did and got the better food, my husband (who I gave my seat there) was just too timid to ask.

The snack in Y on the LAX to PTY flight was dismal, hard to imagine they got something worse in J, so it isn't always true.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 10:04 pm

Certainly these comments of the food quality are personal and subjective! On all my CM flights (all in J), the food was virtually identical to UA domestic F food (which of course is also true of the CM J seating). Although not as good as UA international J, it was just fine. The alcohol selections were noticeably better than UA domestic F or international J.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 10:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I've also found the food in Clase Ejecutiva to be fine. (But the french toast sucks.) The only food I've ever had in Y is the sandwich ("pollo o jamon?"). Which is awful.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 10:27 pm

Has anybody tried their Vegetarian Meal?
Old Aug 5, 2013, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Priority Platinum, Marriot Gold, Delta Platinum
Today i was served one of the best shrimp meal I've had in a plane while in business.

Also reporting that my upgrade with Copa this year as a 1K has been 8/8
Old Aug 6, 2013, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by SJOFlyer
Today i was served one of the best shrimp meal I've had in a plane while in business.

Also reporting that my upgrade with Copa this year as a 1K has been 8/8
With the qualification "...I've had in a plane.." you have not set the bar very high.

As I said in my earlier post, I understand that many people like the food. For me, it is typical airline food that would disappoint me if I paid $12 for it in a restaurant. It's hard to make a good meal that can hold up in a warming cart for several hours. IME, on COPA and most airlines the food is under seasoned and the meat is always overcooked. The salads always have huge chunks of tomato and lettuce that have to be cut with a knife and fork. However, I don't agree that it's "nasty" and I usually eat the whole thing if I'm hungry.

Our snack on the short flight from PTY to MDE last Saturday was smoked salmon and bagels. The bagels were frozen at one time and went straight to partly stale. The smoked salmon was heavy and salty - the same that I get when I buy the cheapest pre-packaged stuff I can find at the supermarket. But, I ate the whole thing...

I do prefer the Y food, though. I will take a 4-pack of real* Oreos any day over a "sundae" made from economy-grade ice cream (usually with ice crystals) and a sauce made with corn syrup and chocolate flavoring. I'm also the type that likes a simple white bread and bologna sandwich, so I am happy with the "pollo o jamon."

My upgrade score is better so far this year as a PLT (28/29) than it was last year as a 1K (I didn't keep score, but I flew in back at least 3 times).

*Yes, I understand that the ingredients in Oreos are as artificial as can be. But, Nabisco knows how to pull it off.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I was unable to find this in any other posts... I know that if you have UA *Gold Status, book on COPA.com and fly on COPA you will get a 25% PQM mile bonus (this was confirmed up thread and on COPA.com and is valid for booking and travel through 12/31/13) However.. I have this question now. Do you still get your Star Alliance Bonus as well (25% Silver, 50% Gold, 75%Platinum etc..)?? It does not say this on .bom?? Thanks and Safe Travels

Last edited by Flying Machine; Aug 10, 2013 at 2:23 pm
Old Aug 11, 2013, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I was unable to find this in any other posts... I know that if you have UA *Gold Status, book on COPA.com and fly on COPA you will get a 25% PQM mile bonus (this was confirmed up thread and on COPA.com and is valid for booking and travel through 12/31/13) However.. I have this question now. Do you still get your Star Alliance Bonus as well (25% Silver, 50% Gold, 75%Platinum etc..)?? It does not say this on .bom?? Thanks and Safe Travels
Yes, you get the standard Mileage Plus RDM bonuses based on your status. There can be additional bonuses for higher fare classes as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.