Community
Wiki Posts
Search

COPA Upgrades for United members?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2013, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Flying JFK-PTY-MVD next week (and back later next month). I redeemed an RPU for PTY-MVD and have been watching like a hawk for I space (CM's version of R space) to open up on JFK-PTY (ExpertFlyer alerts set, too) to extend the RPU to that flight. All this time, too, C space has shown as C9, so I wasn't worried.

All of a sudden, I checked last night (4 days before departure) and C is down to 0. I space never opened up, and EF never alerted me to any changes.

Kinda mad right now...
Old Aug 30, 2013, 9:12 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by jackal
All of a sudden, I checked last night (4 days before departure) and C is down to 0. I space never opened up, and EF never alerted me to any changes.

Kinda mad right now...
Don't give up hope. I've been in the same boat and still got the CPU, even as a PLT. I suspect that there are lot of full-fare business flyers on that route that change plans at the last minute, opening up seats. As a 1K you should be in a good spot.

If you have not already done so, check to make sure that you didn't already get a CPU. IME, COPA often does not send an email.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 9:43 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

It is back to C9 now

Last edited by golfingboy; Aug 30, 2013 at 9:49 am
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by coolcoil
Don't give up hope. I've been in the same boat and still got the CPU, even as a PLT. I suspect that there are lot of full-fare business flyers on that route that change plans at the last minute, opening up seats. As a 1K you should be in a good spot.

If you have not already done so, check to make sure that you didn't already get a CPU. IME, COPA often does not send an email.
I did check--no upgrade.

Originally Posted by golfingboy
It is back to C9 now
Thanks. Maybe it was a temporary glitch of some sort. Or maybe a group of 9 booked and then changed their minds immediately thereafter.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:44 am

Or maybe a group of 9 booked and then changed their minds immediately thereafter.
Maybe one of them is a lurker here and saw the last sentence of your previous post
Old Sep 23, 2013, 2:46 pm

Programs: UAL 1K/1MM, Go Zags!
I was succesfully upgraded via CPU's on my recent trip to Brasil on Copa.

PTY-MAO Upgraded when checking in, my only indication was the seat map allowed me to select 2A.

REC-PTY Notified at 72 hours that I'd been upgraded.

Both flights were about 50% full in C. The service was superb, the food was good, and they served a nice Spanish Sauv Blanc instead of the usual Chardonnay swill.

I'm sold now on flying to Brazil via PTY vs. GRU. It's just a much less stressful way to connect.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 8:39 am

When COPA usually processes upgrades for Platinums? Website states up to 72 hours. My flight is in less then 24 hours and it is C9, but still no luck for me. Should I call them?
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
When COPA usually processes upgrades for Platinums? Website states up to 72 hours. My flight is in less then 24 hours and it is C9, but still no luck for me. Should I call them?
I'm Platinum, and I rarely get an upgrade at T-72. It's usually inside T-24. They are very inconsistent about sending emails too.

Calling won't help. The phone agents have no power to do anything.

Sometimes, the upgrade does not run at all. It is not highly unusual for me not to have an upgrade at the time of check in at the airport desk. I then go to the gate and ask for (and receive) the upgrade. In all of those cases, business class was partially empty at pushback, so it's not like I was snagging a spot that opened at the last minute. I would say that has happened on about 4 out of 40 or so segments this year. They have all been on short flights operated the Aerorepublica subsidiary.

FWIW - as a Plat, I have only missed one upgrade on CM this year.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by coolcoil
I'm Platinum, and I rarely get an upgrade at T-72. It's usually inside T-24. They are very inconsistent about sending emails too.

Calling won't help. The phone agents have no power to do anything.

Sometimes, the upgrade does not run at all. It is not highly unusual for me not to have an upgrade at the time of check in at the airport desk. I then go to the gate and ask for (and receive) the upgrade. In all of those cases, business class was partially empty at pushback, so it's not like I was snagging a spot that opened at the last minute. I would say that has happened on about 4 out of 40 or so segments this year. They have all been on short flights operated the Aerorepublica subsidiary.

FWIW - as a Plat, I have only missed one upgrade on CM this year.
Thanks. So there is still hope :-)
Old Oct 11, 2013, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Is this CPU the longest shot in the world?

For my honeymoon in a few weeks, I booked LAS-PTY-CUN on an award ticket out of mr. horse glasses account. That flight is on Copa (way back is on US so I don't think anything can happen there). He has no status, but I will be Silver after next week. We both have our own United credit cards. The way I understand it, I am eligible for it because I will be a premier cardholder traveling on an award ticket. Does it matter they were his miles? I know Silvers rarely get upgrades but this has to be primarily a leisure route.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
copa metal is not eligible for CPU on award
Old Oct 11, 2013, 5:53 pm

Sounds like you are flying Copa? If so, you can't upgrade on award tickets

ETA: Beaten to the punch.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA Silver
That's what I thought too but then I looked at this: https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ewards-new.htm

Complimentary Upgrades on Award Tickets for Premier Members

The primary Cardmember who is also a MileagePlus Premier member traveling on a domestic MileagePlus award ticket will be eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades on eligible United- and Copa-operated flights (when available). Visit united.com/awardupgrade Opens third party site disclosure in a new window for complete details.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by horse glasses
That's what I thought too but then I looked at this: https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ewards-new.htm

The primary Cardmember who is also a MileagePlus Premier member traveling on a domestic MileagePlus award ticket will be eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades on eligible United- and Copa-operated flights (when available). Visit united.com/awardupgrade Opens third party site disclosure in a new window for complete details.
Wouldn't that put the OP last on the U/G priority list, behind all CM elites and UA elites and therefore would in a long-shot situation?
Old Oct 11, 2013, 6:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by horse glasses

While that is what is stated, the actual experience does not seem to bear it out
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-members.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.